Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default No spark, electrical problem

Hi all,

2005 DE300, no spark = no happy

The bike will actually start sometimes, but at more than 1/2 throttle runs badly. It seems like this problem progressed - intermittent one day, worse the next, wouldn't run the next.

It actually seems like after the bike heats up a bit, the problem worsens. After running for a few minutes, it dies and won't start again.

When I take out the plug, ground it, and crank over the engine I see a weak spark 1 time in 20.

I checked the wiring loom for breaks, and have replaced the coil. The ground is on the coil mounting bolt, right? I also disconnected the stop switch (I think)...black wire at the coil...

I've read a number of threads, and suppose a CDI swap is next - but wondered if the fact that it seems so worsen after warming up gives a clue as to the nature of the problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 11-17-2013, 11:03 PM

Have you cleaned the carb recently? Just to remove one more variable.

Other than that, if it's related to heat, it might be your ignitor (igniter?) under the ignition/flywheel cover.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Hi all,

When I take out the plug, ground it, and crank over the engine I see a weak spark 1 time in 20.
I checked the wiring loom for breaks, and have replaced the coil. The ground is on the coil mounting bolt, right? I also disconnected the stop switch (I think)...black wire at the coil...
Did you clean (by abrasive paper or similar) the mounting posts for the coil? The coil is grounded thru its mounting screws, and need a good ground connection to the frame. I had similar problems on my '06 200, although not that bad. It would always start, but sometimes it would not rev. I replaced the complete ignition and flywheel (but not the CDI), but I think it all came down to proper ground connections.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Sure sounds like a bad ground.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Default poor spark

Try disconnecting the kill switch, I have seen several switch failures cause similar problems.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned

Just went thru this on my wife's bikes. Turned out to be the stator. Replaced with a KTM stator and it fired right up.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Thanks guys, I will go through those items, good suggestions!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 PM

I had a similar problem on an old tt600, the bike would run ok until it got hot then it would cough and splutter and then stop and not start again until it cooled down. i replaced the regulator rectifier and it fixed it right up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
Hi all,

The bike will actually start sometimes, but at more than 1/2 throttle runs badly. It seems like this problem progressed - intermittent one day, worse the next, wouldn't run the next.

It actually seems like after the bike heats up a bit, the problem worsens. After running for a few minutes, it dies and won't start again.

I've read a number of threads, and suppose a CDI swap is next - but wondered if the fact that it seems so worsen after warming up gives a clue as to the nature of the problem.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default No spark

Hi Jeff,
Went thru this exact same problem on my 06-300. Checked wires,grounds,coils,kill switches etc,borrowed a cdi from another GG and it ran perfect. End of problem. These have been known to break down over time. On a happier note my bike ran way better all across the board after the cdi swap. Almost like the old cdi was gradually getting weaker. Most Ktm components will fit if you don't have a gasser part handy.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the help, guys.

Here's a picture (or two) of my stator. I'm thinking this doesn't look right!??

Can anyone confirm?

[IMG][/IMG]