Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 AM

Default What's in your camelbak?

I'm wondering whether to use a drink that contains easy to digest energy sugar/glucose type thing for 2 + 2 hour or 3 hour hare n hounds (flat out the whole time) to replace the water I normally use?

What do people use - do you find a noticeable benefit over water only?

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

If you use a sports drink in your hydration system, make sure you wash it out that same day. Those drinks create a perfect breeding ground for growing science experiments in your camelback.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:55 AM

Vodka! LOL
Water, then I use Goo every 45 minutes. Goo keeps the cramps away and gives you the energy you need without filling your stomach. I don't use the ones with caffeine as they dehydrate you.
I also rinse and freeze my camelback when done, keeps it from getting moldy.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 AM

It can be as simple as a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to a pint of water.... Everything you already have and can be prepared in a rush to ride.
You can put Tang instead suggar if you want a "taste".

http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...ehydration.htm
Brasil!
Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpy525 View Post
Vodka! LOL
Water, then I use Goo every 45 minutes. Goo keeps the cramps away and gives you the energy you need without filling your stomach. I don't use the ones with caffeine as they dehydrate you.
I also rinse and freeze my camelback when done, keeps it from getting moldy.
I have done a fair amount of research on this and the one I settled on was high5 4:1 for the roof of africa (but that was abou 7hrs of riding each day)
For long events you want some protein in the mix, and fructose rather than sucrose. I have never heard of caffeine dehydrating you but I suppose with it being a diuretic it may get fluid to your bladder a bit quicker (FYI at the roof I drank float to 9 litres without needing a pee) but I wouldn't recommend a caffeine based drink. Rather a caffeine based gel or goo

What the caffeine does is help to keep your stomach digesting. When you are doing heavy exercise your body sort of shuts down some of its functions (in simple terms lol) which is why you can sometimes feel bloated from the energy drink. The caffeine keeps your stomach working and In turn helps get whatever you have in the drink (electrolytes energy etc) it back into your bloodstream. I used to take the caffeine goo later in the race also gives a bit of a pickmeup
Old 09-25-2017, 01:22 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I have done a fair amount of research on this and the one I settled on was high5 4:1 for the roof of africa (but that was abou 7hrs of riding each day)
For long events you want some protein in the mix, and fructose rather than sucrose. I have never heard of caffeine dehydrating you but I suppose with it being a diuretic it may get fluid to your bladder a bit quicker (FYI at the roof I drank float to 9 litres without needing a pee) but I wouldn't recommend a caffeine based drink. Rather a caffeine based gel or goo

What the caffeine does is help to keep your stomach digesting. When you are doing heavy exercise your body sort of shuts down some of its functions (in simple terms lol) which is why you can sometimes feel bloated from the energy drink. The caffeine keeps your stomach working and In turn helps get whatever you have in the drink (electrolytes energy etc) it back into your bloodstream. I used to take the caffeine goo later in the race also gives a bit of a pickmeup
Most important is to try out new mixtures on practice days, not at the race
Old 09-26-2017, 09:48 AM

3/4 Pedialyte, 1/4 water, 1 cup maltodextrin (carbo gain)

End up with 2 liters which is the size of my hydration bladder. Seems to work well for 2 hour hare scrambles in the southern heat. But I also pay close attention to hydration and carb loading well before the event.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:16 AM

For extreme heat, like Florida and the Southeast USA, 2 liter camelback with 1/3 ice+1/3 water+1/3 Gatorade.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM

I'm a low carb/ periodically keto guy so I use just water elete in it.

https://eleteelectrolytes.com/
Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 PM

water, ice (lots), and 2 coors lite for afterwards