Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM

yes the slide was an rb designs, in fact ron suggested and sold to me the cck. the previous owner is dylan debel, and this was one of his old race bikes before husaberg took him up, so i think his settings would be good, however, i dont know what the cut slide would do...... im going to pick up a 38 and a 42 pilot, and a 180 and a 175 main. and then start tinkering. im also going to take off the powervalve cover and see if things are moving properly in there. thanks for the replys and if you have any more id be more than happy to listen. this is my first bike, and the first bike in about 2 generations of my family, so nobody around here has any clue what to do with mine, so im learning it online as much as i can and going from there. been doin lots of tt searching and old post searching on here. so thanks for helpin a noob out.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 AM

my bike used to run exactly as you describe when I bought it new. LTR jet kit solved it. The needle is similar if not same as CCK. 180 main, but the big change was the pilot, went to a 48. Seems backwards but I quit fouling plugs. I set my kids bike up the same as mine when I bought it for him. Yeah, we get a little "drippage" out the exhaust if we aren't riding hard. If we ride hard and keep the bikes hot there is no spooge at all.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Over the years there were three different LTR needles, the later one being richer in taper. In fact Les came out with the third needle after my '03 250 would not run up to par on the older needle which was leaner like the C series. The bike was smooth but would go flat in the lower midrange, and not pull as well out of turns or lug up hills. The '03 was a bit of a PIA to jet and liked rich specs, except the #6 slide which never worked well. The RBD head and a VForce reed block made it a lot better. Nowadays, with no more LTR needles, I'd work with the DDK/DEK for starters. That should get it close. We are running this needle in my brother's 250 Husky with a PWK38AS conversion and it runs great. The absolute best needle in the 250 IMO is the JD Blue from the generic PWK kit, its based on a DDK but has additional tapers. Before you go nuts make sure the items I mentioned are sound. Also, if the bike has a lot of time on it consider having Ron replace the nozzle, and check the float pin holes in the casting for wear/slop.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 PM

difference i see is that mine loves mid low range, in fact thats about all it loves. it loves pulling from down low, its just messy right at the bottom (pilot circuit) and at about 2/3-3/4 throttle. that, coupled with the fouled plugs and spooge, lead me to believe that the whole bike is rich. the plugs cleaned up alot with the cck needle, at least while it runs in that range. im also starting to suspect the powervalve may not be operating properly. im going to do some tinkering over the next few weeks (i picked up a 180 and a 175 main, and a 38 and a 42 pilot today. i figure going up and down on each will at least get me started in the right direction.) the county fair is this weekend, so starting next monday or tuesday depending on if harvest interferes, i will be checking the powervalve operation, putting a new clutch in (the old clutch basket is notched really bad) and starting to tinker with the carb and float. thanks for the replys guys! ill get back to you when i have a little more figured out.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 AM

The point is you could be partially masking a mechanical problem with leaner jetting if you do not verify everything is OK first, so don't waste your time. Bad reeds alone will do what you describe (sloppy low end), and I know for a fact and from experience that some of the fiberglass Boyesen reeds on the RAD valve get affected by modern pump fuel. If its an '03 I'd consider the reeds junk unless you replaced them yourself.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM

hi the solution for the rich low rpm is the . 1=carb 175 main . needle 1nf second from top . pilot 38 . end http://www.gasgas-online.de/catalog/...ducts_id=30091 , my 300 solve all the jetting problems from bottom to top its works !!!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM

well when i pull the carb ill pull the reeds and see what they look like. so new shopping list: reeds, powervalve, all the other stuff GMP said, rejet. anything else?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM

Ignition connections, especially the HV wire at the coil and cap.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

thankya much! im really hopin its just jets....... or maybe reeds and jets and maybe the powervalve. the ignition and such are probably a bit over my head... not the connections part, but the other stuff.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM

I had similar problems and tried lots of different things, pv rebuild etc. only to discover after lots of grief that it was the new air filter I had installed.It turned out that it didnt allow enough air through . Just a thought!