Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
Since you have a '05 there will be no ordinary spark plug wire. You should have the coil-on-plug setup, and the wiring harness plugs right into the coil(which is incorporated in the spark plug cap).
I do remember looking at that spark wire and thinking it was something fancy.
Do you know where I can get one ?

I'm not sure if I'll need it but I'm trying to get info on various parts I might need before I get started.

Vinny

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Cdi ?

Would a '02 CDI (Magneti Mirelli IAV 15P) work on my bike ('05 FSE 450). Looked it up and its the same number from '08 on down
Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I do remember looking at that spark wire and thinking it was something fancy.
Do you know where I can get one ?

I'm not sure if I'll need it but I'm trying to get info on various parts I might need before I get started.

Vinny
Gofaster has answered me on this. About $ 120.

I have checked all fuses and wiring connectors. Checked for spark and there isn't any. Fuel pump is working, as are all lights. Cant find any kill switch wire (turns off w/ key).
I have attempted most, if not all your suggestions.
I guess it comes down to electrical parts.

I have the CDI out. IAW15P.LO
It has GAS GAS 400 FSE and the # 2-3489S5D
Not sure if this came w/ it originally or they just used that kind for all ( my bike is a 450 FSE)
I found a CDI in Germany ebay. Its from an '02. IAW15P.EO
Do you think it could work ? Its a $ 200 gamble. Otherwise a new one is $ 600.
What is the silver box that is attached to the right side of the frame at the front, behind the radiater ? Regulator ?

Thnanks. Vinny
Old 04-09-2011, 11:33 AM

I think trying a "CDI" off a different bike is ok for a test but I wouldn't run with the wrong one. It's not just a CDI it controls the injection i.e. mixture so unless you are able to check the mapping and adjust I'd be very careful. If you get one from the identical spec engine it should be ok though. The engines changed a few times. I "think" the 2006 until 2009 is the same but 2005 was different - it's a different bore for starters, not sure what else was changed. Check the cam and valve part no.s and also the fuel pump, throttle body and injector. If it was only a small bore increase in 2006 you "may" be ok.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Have you verified that your pickup coil is ok? By measuring or doing the slow kick method? Spec was on one of the pdf's I mailed you, as turn/rpm sensor.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I think you will still need the diagnostic software/lead if you intend to keep the bike after you fixed it. See if you can find a used one or borrow one from someone on here maybe? Swapping ECUs (not CDI) may or may not fix the problem. It may also wreck a perfectly good ECU in the process if there is something else bad which caused the failure in the first place. The maps will most likely be different year on year and maybe some of the connections are also different. If you check the ECU part numbers in the parts lists online it should give you steer as to which are interchangeable. Blanket bombing is no substitute for diagnosis IMHO.
And yes the silver (aluminium) box on the frame rail behind the LH radiator is the shunt regulator for the alternator.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
What year is your 450? Does it have an ordinary ignition coil or the coil-on-plug setup?

Now, bring it back home and we'll have it sorted. We can come up with lots of ideas, but with no feedback on test results, we are blind. Obviously your dealer hasn't tested everything, else you would have found the problem.
I have access to a '04 and a '05 for reference, so bring it home and we'll start from there.
How do you take coil/spark plug wire apart ? Tried to separate by hand and w/ tools. Feel like I'm going to break the plastic . Don't want to do that .
Thanks . V.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
How do you take coil/spark plug wire apart ? Tried to separate by hand and w/ tools. Feel like I'm going to break the plastic . Don't want to do that .
Thanks . V.
If I remember this correctly, slip back the rubber cover, and the connector is hiding underneath.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 AM

Will someone in US with a '03-05 450 be willing to receive my ECU and coil/spark plug wire and try it on their bike to see if they still work ? It would mean taking the gas tank off and plunging it in, then trying to start the bike . I know its a lot to ask. It would save me buying parts to see witch one is at fault. I could even pay an hrs wage to that individual. If you are willing please PM me.
Thanks. Vinny .
Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Have you verified that your pickup coil is ok? By measuring or doing the slow kick method? Spec was on one of the pdf's I mailed you, as turn/rpm sensor.
I did. My kick started seems to have stripped .