Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default 2013 jet help, just got the bike today, hoping for a ride in the am..but...

it only wants to idel with the choke, that is the PJ - right? it has a 42 in it now, I need to go fatter, right? it also has a 175 MJ.
I am running my '11 with 178, but darned if I can remember the PJ size. if it wants to run with the choke on, that means that I am running too lean, right? so maybe a 48 PJ? I was hoping to get an early start tomorrow, but it looks like I need to make a run by the KTM shop and see if they have some PJs in stock.

Am I on the right track, it has been too long for my old head.
Rob

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM

my 2012 is jetted with a 42 pilot and 178 main. It seams to be the popular jetting setup for my elevation (1000 ft) It idles perfectly. Have you played with the idle screw and air screw? you didnt say where your at or your elevation. I had the same jetting in my 07 as well. a 48 pilot sounds super rich to me. also if your running the stock needle it sucks pretty bad, most power nutless powerband ever with it. I went to a N3EG needle that is used in YZ's and KTM's I believe on the 2nd clip down or maybe 3rd. It runs amazing, and way more fun than the stock one. But it still idled fine with the stock needle.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Sorry, Houston , 0 ft, maybe 50
Yeah , tried the air 2 out to all in. I am thing that I have a 48
Int the 11. Choke makes it richer, right? So, fatter pj needed?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM

I've ridden near sea level with my 42 pilot in and did'nt have problems. I've actually rarely even had to mess with the air screw unless it was super cold out. I guess you could try going to a 45 but I've really never even heard of people having to use something as rich as a 48. Also a YZ/KTM needle leans out the bottom end alot..it helped my low end response a ton. Thats the first mod I would do before even playing with the jetting.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

And also the same recommendation I make to most. The Yamaha needle is cheap and effective, but can be somewhat brutal in its power delivery too. Its definitely not for everyone.

First things first, triple check which size/model carb you have. They all jet differently! Then set the float heights. I aim for 1mm more (fuel level lower) than the book to compensate for the forward leaning angle.

Are you expecting the bike to idle off choke immediately? or when up to temp? What effect does the choke have when up to temp? Where is your idle set screw? If its wound in to the stops you'll have limited luck finding a pilot jet that gives consistent results as you'll have bypassed the whole straight section of the needle and be on the first taper.

I could see myself using 45 pilot at those temps, but not with the stock needle. Also what clip position is it in? Hows the rest of the bike run?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

once up in the rev's, off bottom/idle, it seems to run good. I had another #42, so I blew out the hole with carb cleaner and put in the new PJ and it seems to be adjusting now. Yeah, I started up at my bud's joint, where I had it shipped without a filter. Has one on it now!!!
Thanks!
Rob
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Simple and nice fix. You'll still find better jetting than that stock needle too! If you're willing to give a few things a try. Also if you haven't yet, I'd pull the tank and give it a rinse a few times just to make sure there's no more crud in it. I think a few people have reported small bits of plastic from the moulding process still in theirs. Those little in line filters are worth their weight in gold!
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 AM

I may try one of the yammy's, i have been doing the JD ket, but at $80, if I am already jetted that seems high. I may see if I can just get the needle from him, anyone else do that?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 AM

He will not do that. I assume you have the newer carb. What slide? Notch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Rob,
I live in south Alabama, I have a 13 xc300r, I have been haveing jetting issues also, The bike came stock with:
main 175
pilot 42
needle n1ef middle clip
slide #7
idle screw 2 out.

When I first bought the bike it was too rich, it would foul plugs on start up every second ride, after letting it run with idle speed for a minute or two, jump on the bike try to take off give it some throttle gradually and blaaa.. 1/4 to just past 1/2 and plug would foul. it might go for a little on very slight throttle opening but as soon as I past 1/4 throttle it would die. I tried going to a
main 172
pilot 40
and played with the top 2 clip positions.
Still seamed to have the same issues after these changes. Foul plug every other ride, Only this time it seemed alittle lean on very top end if I held it open throttle in high gear and ran it pretty hard than chopped the throttle,
it would not go back to idle in a reasonable time.
This is what I am doing now. A friend of mine told me about a guy who was
Gas Gas dealer in Arkansas for several years and he owned several Gasers over the years. So I called him up, he was very nice to spend some time listening to the problems I have been having.He said he had best result with the bikes he owned that had the same motor and carb as mine, was with this setup:
MAIN 175
PILOT 42
NEEDLE N1EG OR N1EH 2ND FROM TOP POSITION
SLIDE #7
The N1EG is one size leaner needle and the N1EH is two sizes leaner then stock N1EF. They both have ktm p/ns
This is the setup I am going to try next.

Josh Gibson
Silverhill Alabama

13 xc300r
97 ktm250sx
09 yz450
02drz400s

Tags
jetting