Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default ISDE Mexico travel rigs

The bus is very large, and fully equipped for camping, plus a full shop in the back.

The box van will also be well equipped, but not yet. Note the home made hood! It was necessary, the Cummins 6Bt wasn't intended when they built this body. It's lifted 4" and has 35 inch aggressive tires on it. Not pretty, but very capable of getting to Mexico.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB180330.jpg (89.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg PB180331.jpg (68.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PB180332.jpg (84.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PB180333.jpg (63.3 KB, 33 views)

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 11-20-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Had to reload pictures.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Default It worked

Looks like I was able to get the pictures loaded. Sorry about a couple being sideways. Maybe I'll try to fix that too. I'm lucky I got this far.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM

You might want to cover up those fancy wheels while in mexico.. dont want to get any more attention from banditos than the sheer size of those rigs will already bring.. but they look great.. real expo units!!
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

From last years Letter of Intent :

"I agree to pay the Team USA support fee. This covers container shipping, gas during race, supplies and checkpoint food for riders."

So if you make the team, then you will have to pay to ship your bike down with everyone else in the container - it makes no sense to drive down. Gunny loads up the container in Beaverton (I helped him one time) - he has some guidelines for the dimensions of the crate required, etc.

There is an upside - shipping bikes and flying to the middle of mexico is going to be a heckuva lot cheaper than going to new zealand or europe....

Given the near civil war that is going on in Mexico right now - you might be *way* better off.

The only reason you would drive is if you don't make the team and decide to go as a "privateer".

jeff
Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM

I may ship my stuff and drive anyway just to have extra junk, I mean stuff. I plan to sleep in the rig too. They both are equipped with 100gallon fresh water tanks, black and grey tanks, toilets, and kitchens. The sleeping quarters are as good as any camper.

I've driven through Mexico before. Actually drove all the way to Cabo San Lucas on a whim.... In a Cadillac of all things. (an old one) Mexico doesn't scare me, however, I will make the most sound decision I can come up with.

I need to focus on qualifying first. If that doesn't happen, I'll see what the extortion fee is to sign up as a privateer.

I've been called a redneck before, and it's okay to say it. However, I prefer to use the term "farm boy," or in terms of the vehicles.... Agricultural. It often pays to be resourceful. Not always pretty, but often quite practical.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Now...that gives a new meaning to the term "box van" What kind of fuel milage do you get in that?
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I may ship my stuff and drive anyway just to have extra junk, I mean stuff. I plan to sleep in the rig too. They both are equipped with 100gallon fresh water tanks, black and grey tanks, toilets, and kitchens. The sleeping quarters are as good as any camper.

I've driven through Mexico before. Actually drove all the way to Cabo San Lucas on a whim.... In a Cadillac of all things. (an old one) Mexico doesn't scare me, however, I will make the most sound decision I can come up with.

I need to focus on qualifying first. If that doesn't happen, I'll see what the extortion fee is to sign up as a privateer.

I've been called a redneck before, and it's okay to say it. However, I prefer to use the term "farm boy," or in terms of the vehicles.... Agricultural. It often pays to be resourceful. Not always pretty, but often quite practical.
In past years, I think you were required to go with the tour and use their travel agent. Given the close proximity - my guess is it will be $1500 or so per person for double occupancy and meals.

For yahoo maps directions click here. 45 hours driving one way non-stop to get there.

jeff
Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Now...that gives a new meaning to the term "box van" What kind of fuel milage do you get in that?
It gets about 20mpg depending on conditions. It's pretty tall geared with the 35's on it and just loafs along.

The bus, believe it or not, gets about 12mpg. It has a DT466 in it and a 5 speed. It towed a 35ft 5th wheel with absolutely no problem, and it didn't change the fuel economy one bit. That was before the Wonder Box was fabbed onto it. The back part of it went bye bye to make a sort of flatbed 5th wheel hauler. (Not my idea) It was cool, it was just way too huge.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
In past years, I think you were required to go with the tour and use their travel agent. Given the close proximity - my guess is it will be $1500 or so per person for double occupancy and meals.

jeff
We've figured the drive already. And that sounds about right, probably longer. Part of the plan was to go visit the Aztec Ruins and go to the pyramid of the Sun and Moon, which is near Mexico City. That makes the trip longer, but my hope was to take a full month off work for this, so I want to enjoy some sights too. $1500 sounds doable for sure, and that probably isn't a lot more, if at all, than driving, though I already have 300+ gallons of diesel set aside.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-21-2009, 07:51 AM

That would be one epic road trip! A couple years ago I was asked to drive a truck/trailer out to baja from NE Pa for a group of 20 or so to run the baja on thier own bikes.. They went 8+ years on trail boss tours but really wanted to do it on thier own bikes and no schedule.. They offered me a full no cost trip if I got the bikes there and back,, they supplied the truck trailer, and fuel card.. and cash for hotels and food along the way.. never went due to my auto wreck.. still thinking of it.. I'd love to take a month off of work,, and still be able to return..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone