Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:49 AM

No one wants to hear this, but the ONLY time my clutch has squacked has been when I have been in way too high of a gear. Once I shifted into the correct gear, I have never heard the noise.

I am not the least bit concerned about this so called issue. If you want to hear clutch noise, ride a pre-09 Husaberg. They squeal like a pig if you arent in the right gear.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:21 PM

So now the fix is that you have to ride them the way someone else thinks?

I find it more than a little troubling that the dealers on here say it is fine but the customers have an issue with it. And at the end of the day the dealers say buy a different bike...they all do it...Bullcrap.

My 01 doesn't do it no matter how much I chug it. The torque of the GasGas is the reason you can ride a gear high, and it is negated by a terrible sounding squeal if you try. Now I can't ride it like that because someone says you aren't riding the bike the way they set it up?? GasGas needs to fix this. Clay said a long time ago they would look into it.

All that I have seen done is that threads get closed down and the posters get humiliated because they want there bike to perform like many others they have had...CRAZY.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM

I think the reason removing the webing works, is oil is forced up into the plates when the fingers spin downward into the oil bath. If the webbing is there, the oil is not forced in. and centrifigal force will just spin the oil out. All I know is it works...holes in the inner hub probably help too, mine may have them now that i think of it.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM

Who is humiliating you? A difference of opinion or a different conclusion to an issue is not humiliation. One thread was closed after many posts and no real progress, nothing was deleted. Also, the tread with the photos was made a Sticky. It also contained what I consider a full history of the clutch design, some thoughts, and proposed changes. Some guys have made mods that helped or cured the problem.

Some have issues some don't. There are different styles, different setups, and different bikes. We know there were changes in the basket. I'm not saying there isn't an issue but I am saying its not an issue for everyone.

Lets be positive. Since you have two bikes and the problem, it would be interesting to swap pressure plates, inner hubs, and baskets separately and see what has the most effect on your problem. Also note the differences.

I'm in the camp of more oil is needed through the pressure plate/inner hub. The basket will always spin at the primary ratio X RPM, the inner hub slower if slipping and not at all when stopped. The basket will always try to move oil out through the plates from centrifugal force, it will not scoop oil in on the outer edge. The more oil available to move(in the inner hub) the better(to a point).

Think how a squirrel cage blower works, same idea.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM

As the clutch squeals....Just a thought, It seems that only the newer models with webbed basket are having the squeal (and only some of them), is the earlier clutch setup interchangeable ? Has anyone tried to swap and see if it helps? My '06 has never made a noise. Just thinking out loud....
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Everything should be interchangable. Worst case is the washer under the basket gets adjusted to maintain the same height.

1)Are new pressure plates different?

2)Are new inner hubs/oil hole patterns different?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 PM

It would be good to get some clarification from the factory on what is causing this since so many are complaining about it. It's all well and good for owners to be shot-gunning parts trying to isolate the problem, but testing and fault isolation is the factory's obligation IMO . . . not that if I had the parts I wouldn't go for it myself as well. Maybe they are still looking at it. I agree if they make a nasty racket that could lead to bad press at events where lots of owners of other colored bikes hear, so they should be concerned if for no other reason.

From what I have heard it's more of an annoyance than a functional problem, so that may explain the advice. I haven't been able to ride mine enough yet to know if it's going to be a squealer or not. I've had issues with lots of bikes over the years and those were always functional problems, so I don't see this as a major concern as long as the clutch performs. I'm sure I'll be annoyed and determined to fix it if I got one.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 PM

I have read posts on the KTM forum about clutch squeal and have heard of some Jap bikes doing it too. My 03 200 did it once but I was slipping it like crazy to make it up a hill of leaves and marbles with a crappy rear tire. I have not heard anyone's new bike squeal so I don't know if we are even talking about the same squeal but in my opinion if it's not burning clutch plates or hurting anything I could care less if mine squawks.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 AM

I did'nt mean to stir things up with this post , if I did , my apologies , its just that I have never had this problem with any of my bikes in the past , I just want to solve the problem of the squeel hence this post however I dont want to modify anything that will couse even more problems in the long run . I am still leaning towards drilling more holes in the inner hub , also waiting for the local importer to contact me with a reply from the factory.

This is not a normal problem and I will not live with it .
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Try swapping the clutch plates around. It has resolved the squeeling on some bikes.