Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Knobbie knife

www.knobbyknife.com

Does anyone own one of these, or any of the other hot iron knobbie sharpening tools.

Looking for some feed back on these. Thinking about adding one to my dirt bike specific arsenal of tools.

If I could get a couple more training or trail rides out of a tire for minimal time spent it would be worth it to me.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have the "Ideal knife" tire cutting tool
I use it on every new tire, because I use a trials tire that I cut some of the knobs off to simulate part trials and part knobby...helps in greasy conditions.

I can tell you that cutting a knobby takes some work and getting the knobs square is a task in it's self, I found that flipping the tire is just as good and less work.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 AM

iv got a knobby knife.
it works well, although you might want to practice on an old tyre before attempting to sharpen a blown up tyre, because there is a knack to it, and getting a good square egde can take some practice.
also, it doesnt like cutting knobs wider than the blade, but ones smaller than the width of the blade are easy
Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I use it on every new tire, because I use a trials tire that I cut some of the knobs off to simulate part trials and part knobby...helps in greasy conditions.

I can tell you that cutting a knobby takes some work and getting the knobs square is a task in it's self, I found that flipping the tire is just as good and less work.
I am probably more interested in this tool for the front tire. To gain some sharper edges back on the side traction knobs. Help that old tire thats not quite done, and has no chunked off knobs bite better in the turns again.

If I'm taking my tire off, I'm not flipping it around. I'm putting a new one on. I'm just that way. It's to much work for little to no gain. When I look at my wore down rear it is usually almost equally wore down on both sides of the rear knobs north to south. My style involves quite a bit of brake sliding on our very gravelly glacial till here in Washington.
Buy flipping a tire you have now affected your braking traction. I was hoping to gain some of this and turning traction back, more than forward traction. Forward momentum never really seems to be that big of an issue. Mostly because If I know its gonna be a very slippery area or day, I'm probably just putting new tires on.

Thanks for your input on the Ideal knife.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
iv got a knobby knife.
it works well, although you might want to practice on an old tyre before attempting to sharpen a blown up tyre, because there is a knack to it, and getting a good square egde can take some practice.
also, it doesnt like cutting knobs wider than the blade, but ones smaller than the width of the blade are easy
I've got plenty of spent tires lying around here to practice on.

Sounds like it could work good for the smaller front tire side knobs.

Thanks for the tips.

Roscoe

Old 02-13-2010, 09:03 AM

I have one and think it's well worth the price. I think he also has a wider blade available for those big knobs.

I think you should get 2-4 extra rides at least out of a tire using this tool. You probably want a fresh tire for racing but for practice and trail riding why not have a fresh edge?

I cut a worn out MT16 and combined it with the TuBliss system at 6-7psi. Pretty dang awesome is all I can say.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM

I've used one on the back a few times .. I'd go along with what skidad has to say ...except I did not use it on the front. Good way to extend the life of a race tire. However if you pratice at race pace You might not have the tire under you that you'd expect. Worth the $60 gamble though.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
I have been experimenting with cutting knobs off a trials tire.

What knobs do you cut off?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
I have one and think it's well worth the price. I think he also has a wider blade available for those big knobs.

I think you should get 2-4 extra rides at least out of a tire using this tool. You probably want a fresh tire for racing but for practice and trail riding why not have a fresh edge?

I cut a worn out MT16 and combined it with the TuBliss system at 6-7psi. Pretty dang awesome is all I can say.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I will have to check into the wider blade.

I think I'm gonna buy one. less than the price of a tire. Especially if my sponsor can get me one.

Roscoe

Old 02-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
However if you pratice at race pace You might not have the tire under you that you'd expect. Worth the $60 gamble though.
I do usually try to practice at race pace even with rounded tires.

But man when I put those new sharpies on for a race I feel like all the practice is paying off. I'm banging corners faster, leaning farther, braking later, accelerating quicker, everything just seems better.

It must be all the practice....In reality its probably just the new tires.

Roscoe