Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Default XC 250 questions from a new gas gas owner

Alright, New to the forum. Have been lurking for a while. I blew my atk fork seals last weekend so I needed a bike until I redo the forks. Makes sense right?
I am sure these questions have been asked, but before you tell me to do a search, I DID, and these questions may or may not have been hit upon, but not REALLY answered.

Anyhow, I found a so called 2002 EC 250, exceptionally clean, for the right money. Maybe 20 hrs on it. Plated, street title,Runs very well. Anyhow I was a little blind sided when I found out after I got it home, it is actually an xc 250. I saw this on the title but I did not know made anything other than ec and the newer DE, so I assumed it was the way the Spanish did there title thing. The owner pointed out the XC on the title but said it was a EC.

My questions are,
1) first the XC is a DE right? Exactly? - a lighter flywheel, smaller stator. and higher compression yes? Reason I ask is because on go fasters for 2002 they list MC, EC, DE. and XC.

2) Is it all bolt on bolt off stuff? Is the compression increase just head? Will the ec flywheel bolt right on? I live in the Northeast so traction is paramount.
I thought the thing was pretty snappy but I though it was because I had nothing to compare it to.

3) what is an MC? Is the XC an MC with lights?

4) If they are trying to make a snappier bike by uping compression and lightening flywheel, why the hell did they put a Gnarly on it and not a DOMA?

5) Seems like some of these things came through different than others. even though they were designated the same. Is this true, kind of mongrel like?

6) Is this frame actually Chrome or nickel plated? Thing looks beautiful now.
Can you keep up with this, or does it eventually rust? The plastic is actually cleared over WTF?

7) How does this thing compare with the newer ones, weight wise? Handleing wise? Quality wise? and especially motor wise? Is it the same as newer motors?

8) last ? for now, Any suggestions for getting this bike setup for the east? I am light at 145 and short at 5'5" but the suspension seens as though I can adjust it to my weight without much problem.

It has an ltr port cover,endurance computer, bash pan,ltr honda chain guide conversion, ltr front chain ring case protector, Ltr sharkfin, 2 up in the back chain ring, and those funky acerbis aluminum bark busters with the down bend ( to get your hand out quickly I guess).

Anyhow. Anyone want to try to answer a few of these, or did I ask way to many pre answered questions?
Thanks
I am asshat

d .

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM

1. Yes the XC is a DE.

2. I dont know if the EC flywheel will bolt up but you can buy a flywheel weight form Gofasters.

3. MC is a motocross bike. 19 Inch rear tire, aggresive ignition mapping, harder suspension, ect...

4. Gnarly makes the bottom end realy hit. The Doma is a great top end pipe along with the CRD and DEP.

5.?

6. Dont know what the frame is but it does rust. I am having mine snadblated and powder coated.

7. Everything about the new ones are better. The motor has not changed a bunch but all other things are a great improvenment.

8. LTR jetting kit helps sort out the bugs. If need a skidplate Meca systems make a burly plate for it. R & B desings does great Head and Carb work.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey 2 strokes:
Thanks for that. Clears up a few questions. I have done more research and found out many different answers. I have read that the xc is a higher compression head not sure though. Is the DE also?
Halls Cycles says the XC was not a DE, says even more aggressive ignition mapping, different forks. So the answer so far is, no definitive answers.
I did order a 14 0z flywheel weight (Gas gas) and the lt jetting kit.

The preceding question about mongrels (#5)being this --I have read things such as "when I opened up my DE I found out it had the bigger stator "(EC), or "My Ec had a de flywheel". So my guess was that they put them together with what they had.

And the comment about the Gnarly on a xc was that the xc was designed for more open terrain(like the DE) But they put a closed terrain bottom end pipe on it.
Just seemed odd to me.

And I suspected the frames would rush. While mine is still good I am going to put clear plastic paint chip guard on the main frame rails where boots will rub.

Thanks again.
I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of this bike. Sure is beautiful to look at.

I am asshat
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM

Seems to me that i have read that the XC250 uses a CDI box from a EC200. Right now my EC has a stator from a DE but still a EC flywheel and a EC on the fram vin. Weird hey?
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM

asshat ... keep in mind that bikes coming into the states can be different than those going into canada. US Importers have made some of thier own tweaks over the years. I was always under the impression that an xc was a full on woods racing bike. Might be wrong on that tho. If you want smooth linear power try a cck needle. Where in the noert east are you. I'm in NH and the cck needle was the best mod I made for the tough stuff around here. you might look into a g2 ergo throttle too.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM

Mr skiddude.

Yes that is the conclusion I am coming too. Basically unless it is an EC, it could be anything. Especially back then.
I am in Northeast mass. Bought the bike in N.H on Saturday. Know little of the XC, all my previous research was EC and DE. Bike has 20 hrs on it 02 xc 250 bought as leftover in 05. not raced, just trail ridden, lightly in 06, and looks it.

Been riding a 98 ATK lq 250, which is prehistoric compared to this. But it never let me down. The rotax motor is awesome.

Tell me more of this needle? I just ordered a 14 oz weight, and the lt carb kit.
What can you tell me?
Thanks

I am asshat
Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 PM

I came off a drz 400 which had electric motor smooth power delivery which I like in the nasty stuff. I have an 06 de 300 with the ltr kit in it. The bike had a little bit of a hit, not bad really. But I really like the electric smooth thing, the cck needle has no hit. Just steady smooth easy to use no surprises power. so I've got the lt carb kit with a cck needle instead of the lt needle. My bike has a 10oz weight. the 14 oz weight w/the ltr needle may work fine. However a cck needle is only a few bucks so it might be worth a try. Do a search for posts by pobit, he did a whole run down on which needles did what kind of power delivery. I'm thinking I might play around with some different needles this summer just to see what its all about. Keep in mind my bike is a 300 so a 250 may react differently. cck needle can be had from rb designs and I think gofasters has them two.