Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default More noob Q's - Sachs fork 2010 300 Race

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests I'm after some info on the Sachs fork. I read somewhere that they have externally adjustable preload. Could anyone shed some light on this?

The user manual isnt much chop, and there seems to be so much variance between zokes and sachs and internals used over the years and models that its hard to find what I'm looking for.

Compresssion at base of fork. Rebound on top. Where is preload?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Not all bikes or not all race models came with external pre-load adjuster. Your top cap will have a retainer ring with four pin spanner wrench holes in it. If it is just a standard cap adjustable ones should be available.

2011 Beta 400 RR (sorry )
2010 GAS GAS XC 300
2007 KTM 200 XC
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM

Jakobi, our fork dosnt have external preload adjusters.
The Aussie 2010 Race did and is a different bike to ours. It is based on the 09 frame and plastics etc.
Our EURO's are based from the US and Europe spec 2010 race models, with a different fork again and a few other things but mostly bling.
We have unique fork and valving to our bike mate. Preload will have to be done with spring spacers.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSE.ONE View Post
Jakobi, our fork dosnt have external preload adjusters.
The Aussie 2010 Race did and is a different bike to ours. It is based on the 09 frame and plastics etc.
Our EURO's are based from the US and Europe spec 2010 race models, with a different fork again and a few other things but mostly bling.
We have unique fork and valving to our bike mate. Preload will have to be done with spring spacers.
Pre-loading an already short and weak spring is not a good idea...If I would have had the fork apart before I ordered stiffer springs, I would have tried to find a longer one and removed the plastic spring spacers.
Also, IMHO, the rebound circuit is valved to light and a stiffer spring (or) preloading the stocker will only make it worse.
Plus, what little adjustment a preload adjuster has would not make much difference with the Sachs fork considering how far off it is.
With any suspension the valving needs to match the spring rates, which both are set to the riders specs...weight, skill level, terrain...ETC.
Sometimes you can get away with small changes....but to get the best out of your suspension, all should be done in unison.
If there is one thing on a bike that will make a rider faster, inspire more high speed confidence, cut time off your laps and allow a rider go faster longer...it's suspension.
It's the best money a rider can spend on his bike!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info lads,

I actually checked a mates 08/09 which has them and noticed that the adjustment is infact in the top of the fork cap as stated.

I also had no intention of making changes to the preload. I'm quite happy with the action of the fork at the moment apart from a bit of a mid stroke spoke on square edges. Was more so just asking out of curiosity.

Thanks again, Jake
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
Pre-loading an already short and weak spring is not a good idea...If I would have had the fork apart before I ordered stiffer springs, I would have tried to find a longer one and removed the plastic spring spacers.
Also, IMHO, the rebound circuit is valved to light and a stiffer spring (or) preloading the stocker will only make it worse.
Plus, what little adjustment a preload adjuster has would not make much difference with the Sachs fork considering how far off it is.
With any suspension the valving needs to match the spring rates, which both are set to the riders specs...weight, skill level, terrain...ETC.
Sometimes you can get away with small changes....but to get the best out of your suspension, all should be done in unison.
If there is one thing on a bike that will make a rider faster, inspire more high speed confidence, cut time off your laps and allow a rider go faster longer...it's suspension.
It's the best money a rider can spend on his bike!
Too true, small changes was all i was meaning.