Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Im trying, tried 2 nz dealer and 2 australia dealers, just got one reply from nz saying they had no idea what i was talking about. Just fired same email to about 6 more dealers, see what the response is.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:04 PM

oh dear god i just found out the problem, Gasgas are using the dreadfull KTM starter. WHY WHY WHY, that system was usleless from day one from 2007 to 2017 it was plagued with problems until they finally dispatched it and now gasgas pick it up and run with it. The drive mechanism has been upgraded well but the starter is rubbish, my 2013 starter worked a treat.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigasgas View Post
oh dear god i just found out the problem, Gasgas are using the dreadfull KTM starter. WHY WHY WHY, that system was usleless from day one from 2007 to 2017 it was plagued with problems until they finally dispatched it and now gasgas pick it up and run with it. The drive mechanism has been upgraded well but the starter is rubbish, my 2013 starter worked a treat.
So, are you saying it needs the upgraded starters that have been available for KTM's for years?
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieds83 View Post
Get onto Gasgas about it mate, they are more than aware of the issue and should be be able to help. There is a reason they upgraded the starter, wiring and battery for 2019. Perhaps the 2019 upgrades can be retro fitted to the 18.
Comparing 2019 and 2018 parts catalogues revealed that the starting system is absolutely identical, except the battery. At least on the EC/GP 300's.

The only things which have been changed are: the cylinder head is completely new. I expected that they will fit the GP head on the 2019 standard model but they obviously designed something new. The whole ignition system is re-designed, a map switch has been added and the side panels are also re-designed and for 2019 not available single but as a pair.

@kiwigasgas: I have two 300's (GP's) in my garage one with 20hrs and one with 30 hrs. Believe me, we have tried all the tricks you can read in forums. I have added: two new much thicker cables from the battery to starter solenoid and frame plus one cable between igniton coil earth and starter motor. I used a different battery from Shido and I also used a power booster which would start a Tiger Tank parked for 60 years. It has nothing to do with a too weak battery or with not enuff voltage.

Nothing(!) helped. I also had the starter removed, cleaned and re-greased the gears, checked the bendix and the crown gear, all good.

I did all the mods on one bike but not on the other (my friends bike). His starter started to work at about 22hrs, mine at 19. The procedure is: use the kicker when cold, then use the button. Though I didnt change anything it now works and I have spoken to another rider I met in the woods who said it was the same with his. He agreed that the system needs some time and its obvious that the gears need a bit of wear until they run smooth. I have no idea how many hours your bike has but if it is very new give it some time and you will see its getting better. It wont be perfect though but at least acceptable.

Good luck!
Doc
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

GasGas hasn't released any info or parts listings for the 2019 GPs.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
GasGas hasn't released any info or parts listings for the 2019 GPs.
Not for the GP's, but for the 2019 standard model. And the GP's which come in April 2019 will -you knew it- have the same starting system as the standard model. Just as in 2018, both models have the same starting system.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:08 PM

Seems to be some good ones and some bad one exactly as with the the old KTM system. All the fixes are just so minimal, as you say nothing is a definite fix.

What do you know about the CDi upgrade, is it software or a new part.

Nearly got a DRZ400 starter to fit on but the splines are about 0.2mm bigger and dont quite fit, starter has about 3 times the torque of the original disappointing unit.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigasgas View Post
Seems to be some good ones and some bad one exactly as with the the old KTM system. All the fixes are just so minimal, as you say nothing is a definite fix.

What do you know about the CDi upgrade, is it software or a new part.

Nearly got a DRZ400 starter to fit on but the splines are about 0.2mm bigger and dont quite fit, starter has about 3 times the torque of the original disappointing unit.
Unfortunately it is as you say. Some work flawless, some make trouble.
Concerning the CDI upgrade I received a call from my dealer and he asked me to bring the bike for an upgrade. As he is 55mls away I asked him if I could bring just the CDI and he said no problem. So brought both CDI's (mine and my friends) to him and could pick them up same day evening.

On the 2019 EC and GP a new or upgraded ignition system is used therefore the CDI has been changed too.

Cu
Doc
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 AM

So I have gone though my local dealer mainly about the cdi issue as mine is deffinatley suffering from it, here is the response.

I have received a reply from Gas Gas. They have confirmed there is no international recall so they cannot make a statement on what GasGas America is doing.

Not a whole lot of help, thanks gasgas, should have gone beta
Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 AM

Thats strange, i found this on gasgaspartshouse.com

Quote:
2018 EC/XC/GP CDI Re-Mapping (Starting Issue)

With battery fully charged the bike will not start correctly using the electric start system. Starting the bike using the kickstart lever results in bike starting correctly. CDI will be re-programmed and shipped back with a new positive battery cable. Updated battery is recommended but required. Not all bikes effected, check with your local dealer. #TB-GG-17-11