Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Default wheelie ec250

Hi can any of you guys with ec250's do wheelies in forth gear or higher mine wont pull a wheelie unless im in third and then change gear, my gearing is 13/51. This is my first gas gas and all my other two stokes could pull wheelies in fith but they were motocross bikes cr 250 and rm 250, should the ec be as powerful as them or is it just because its an enduro or could my bike been down on power

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM

OVERACHIEVER !!
]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsx View Post
Hi can any of you guys with ec250's do wheelies in forth gear or higher mine wont pull a wheelie unless im in third and then change gear, my gearing is 13/51. This is my first gas gas and all my other two stokes could pull wheelies in fith but they were motocross bikes cr 250 and rm 250, should the ec be as powerful as them or is it just because its an enduro or could my bike been down on power
Are you talking about just pinning the throttle to bring it up? I have no trouble getting the frontend up while on the gas. I'm not in the habit of doing this...on purpose, or otherwise. I'm getting too old to screw up & get dropped off at those speeds Once upon a time, my KX500 required me to sit on the tank just to keep the front tire down. Damn...that was a long time ago
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Are you talking about just pinning the throttle to bring it up? I have no trouble getting the frontend up while on the gas. I'm not in the habit of doing this...on purpose, or otherwise. I'm getting too old to screw up & get dropped off at those speeds Once upon a time, my KX500 required me to sit on the tank just to keep the front tire down. Damn...that was a long time ago
no not just pinning it , dipping the clutch too it just doesnt seem to lift much? i bet that 500 was a wheelie monster they are very rare over here i would love one.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM

The MX bikes you mentioned are both 5 speed gearboxes, the ec is a 6 speed. I beleive that would be the difference i.e. ratios.....
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

2010 model. Head mods. S3 cylinder. 13/50 gearing. The way I have jetted it means it won't spit you off the back if you're in 5th or 6th idling away and smash it open. If you're in the band though mine will still loft the front under power in 5th and I can lighten the front wheel in 6th. This is from someone who can't 'wheelie' to save themselves. Bit of clutch sees things flippin up heaps quicker. 3rd gear its an absolute beast and always spinning or lifting (on song).
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsx View Post
no not just pinning it , dipping the clutch too it just doesnt seem to lift much? i bet that 500 was a wheelie monster they are very rare over here i would love one.
Lol! It was a fun bike. I was a lot younger...and dumber. I would love to have one, again. I'd set it up with a paddle, and take it to the dunes. It'd be a handful in the tight woods, but it can be done(not by me). I can wheelie up pretty easy in high gear, on the gas. I just get up, and slam my big 'ole butt on the rear of the seat while pinning it As I've said...not really my deal.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM

On my 07 EC300 I can do 6th gear wheelies up to about 70mph (13/50 gearing) pretty easy with correct gas/pulling up on the bars, same thing with the 2000 EC250 I rode. Had no problem doing 5th gear wheelies on my YZ250. Its all about technique, I never use the clutch to initiate wheelies. At maybe 1/4 throttle get the revs right to the beginning of the powerband, give the bike a bounce down and pull up and back on the bars while pinning it...should come up easy.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM

I recently got off a cbr1000rr. Wheelies to triple digits are pretty easy on those. Lol. I got back on a birtbike and was amazed how much easier wheelies seem now compared to before I rode a street bike.

In 2001 my dad and I rebuilt a 93 kx500. It had new piston cylinder coated ect. The bike had more compression than anything has a right to have. I was 17 and a beast at 6' and a lean 170. It was all I could do to kickstart that sucker. We had carb problems and had to pull start it sometimes, before we replaced the carb. You would have to put the bike in 3rd or 4th and jump as you popped the clutch or it would just skid.

Those old big bore two strokes were powerful, especially if you short shifted them. The fastest bike I ever rode was a late 80's husky 400 2t. I was clocked at 104 on an outer rode off the hwy. modern bikes don't come close to those speeds in my experiance. But modern suspensions are sooo much better, we all go faster on less powerful bikes nowadays.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM

The answer is yes