Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM

Default EC250 Forks???

Has any body had issues with forks on 1998 EC250.
The story is like this.
Have been practising on fields for a few months when 6 weeks ago the front end appeared really bouncy, i increased the compression and rebound settings which made it better. Then the same day same again happened.
I stripped the forks found no problems. Sent the forks to WP who serviced them finding no faults.

Back on the field the forks seemed no better i felt that this is just the way that they are so i will have to live with them.

Recently entered an enduro (1st one ever) the front end wouldnt turn in to tight corners I lost the front on two corners, the front end kept riding over the berms.

Is it me or do i have a problem if so where would it lie.

I have currently Marzzochi magnum 50mm forks on. I have purchased some 45mm magnums because i was informed that they were a better fork.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I love the gas gas as it steers me away from them orange bikes.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 PM

have the forks been serviced lately??
Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM

The forks were serviced after i had the problem but on refitting them it seemed that it had not cured the fault. I did wonder if it may be the rear shock at fault although all the settings seem to be working as they should.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Sounds like your suspension front to back is really out of balance. If you rear is too hard or rebounding too quickly it will make it seem
as though your front has a hard time turning. Hence why it got a little better when you stiffened up the rebound and compression. I always get my front end to where i like it as far as compression / rebound and then I will sync the rear with the front end. When the bike is balanced you should be able to push down on the middle of the seat and the bike should push down evenly. You should try this prior to changing anything to see which end of your bike is causing the issue but it sounds like your rear. It's very common for a rear end issue to cause poor front end handling and seem like a front end issue. Hope it helps. Also you should make sure you sag is setup up properly along with the amount of rake you have on those front forks. In the future post your questions in the matching forum, you probably would get more response on this in the suspension section as to where not everyone will check out the U.K. section. Good luck with it.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:48 PM

Darren,,
I have the 45's on my 97,, keep your 50's! the 50's are better/stiffer in terms of flex. as posted before me balance of front to back will make your front end push out.. Do you have a manual for your 98? Mine for my 97 had some basic setup in it that covered the front end push and helped in seting that bike up.. Do you have your forks flush at the top or 5/10 mm showing,, also stock links? 124? And for too bouncy,, that would be more of a rebound issue.. When it happens is it over the same type of bumps,, can you dumplicate the bouncyness,, try running the clickers up a few clicks at a time then down a few clicks at a time going over the same obstacles over and over so you can see the difference in the setting.. Also double check your sag and preload of springs,, are they the right springs for your weight??
Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Joshp and Cruiser thanks for your replys and information
I have no users manuals on this bike i would appreciate if any body has some info on the basic settings so i could start from a factory setting.
I did check the sag on the bike when i first got it and it appeared perfect 100mm.
I have noticed that the spring preload is set with a lot of tension as there is at least 3-4 inches of thread showing above the lock nut. Am i right in assuming there should be between 8-10mm preload from the distance the nut takes the slack on the spring.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM

I also meant to say i did also post this inthe suspension technical forum but have had no replys/?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM

I'll see if I can find my owners manual and scan/post it up here..
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Also,, you should check your static sag in relation to your sag, it helps determine if the springs are the correct rate..
Old 10-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks cruiser.

Regards to the static sag the rear olins has the preload set well down the thread there is probably nearly three inches of thread showing from the top of the lock nut, that is also another setting i wish to get adjusted correctly do you know how much preload to put on the spring i read somewhere to preload the spring by 8 - 10mm.
All your help is appreciated thankyou
darren