Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Default Need help with shift lever.

I am heading to Colorado on Friday. I was getting my bike ready and noticed the shifter was pretty nackered. I ended up putting a new tip on it but it is in a fixed position. It will not spring back and forth like it should. This is the only fix I had available. I was wondering if anyone knows of an aftermarket alternative to the stocker or if any other bikies cross over. I spoke with Fritz in Gunnison and he said he would pull one off a new bike on the floor for me. I really do not want to pay $80 for a stock shifter which I was never really fond of in the first place. Any suggestions.

Forgot to mention that I already called Hammerhead and they quit making GasGas shifters.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:37 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

i know emgo makes one, have it as a spare, but cannot vouch for its quality as i have not used it
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 AM

Supposedly some of the early RMZ/KX-F shifters fit, and there is an Australian outfit that sells a shifter that is half a spline different than stock.

I also have a stock shifter with a decent tip but spline damage if you want to try salvage the tip from that. PM me.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 08-15-2012, 06:37 AM

Thanks, tip will not help. It was cracked at the holes for the pin at the tip. I ended up cutting off and drilling a new hole in the solid part then bolting on a Ktm tip. It works but will not fold back.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Banned

If Fritz can't help you for some reason I have a stock one in my trialer that I can over night to him or you so you can ride but it is a stock one too.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
Forgot to mention that I already called Hammerhead and they quit making GasGas shifters.
I just contacted hammerhead as well. Maybe they'll see there is enough interest to make some more. Maybe two will not be enough...but it's worth a try!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 AM

Thanks Clay, I have a line on aftermarket shifters in Austin and Florida. If I can get from austin it is one day ups or have it second day from Florida for 24.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 AM

This is a part that really needs an upgrade. The steel tip quickly wears the alloy tab/pivot, and it gets sloppy. It can wear thin to the point of cracking. New tip does nothing. I've been fixing them with the HTS2000 aluminum brazing rod, building up the tabs and re fitting the tips, but its a PIA and time consuming. I have a Hammerhead on the '12 but they suck to R&R unless you make a special bolt. They wear too, but still better than stock if you can find one.

Best shifter is all steel, as any pivot on a dirt bike should be. I'll take a few oz down low on the bike to eliminate this hassle. My bro had a WR250 Husky with a steel OEM shifter and it sold with the bike years later in decent shape.

While I'm at it, the brake pedal clevis pivot hole will wear and elongate quickly as well(again, steel pin/alloy pedal). If you don't check this often your pedal hits the frame before enough force goes to the brakes from the added play. This needs a steel bushing at the minimum. I'm adding a heim joint like a KTM and a quick no tools adjuster setup, stay tuned.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM

I ordered a shifter from niche cycle in Florida. It is aftermarket not sure of brand. They have them on eBay for $23 with free shipping or on their own site for $21. I had to pay $24 shipping to get it here by Friday. If it turns out to be pretty good it would be economical to just buy a couple extra to have on hand. You can get 4 for the price of oem.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Site Sponsor

i was not happy with the niche cycle one, bent very easily..... it will work in a pinch, though. my oem one is on it's last legs (tip pivot is broke..) , i have 4 or 5 here that all have issues... maybe i can piece one more together.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com