Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 AM

@pscook,
Other half said add these to your regular diet.
along with a mag sulphate supplement:

Dark green veg, fish (like samon,cod, mackeral,) dark leafy veg like spinnach.
Nuts and seeds.
Bananas.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboogieman View Post
@pscook,
Other half said add these to your regular diet.
along with a mag sulphate supplement:

Dark green veg, fish (like samon,cod, mackeral,) dark leafy veg like spinnach.
Nuts and seeds.
Bananas.
That is my regular diet, oddly enough. But I will add more seeds. I am on a GERD and low cholesterol diet (mostly, sorta), and all of the above are recommended. Sounds like this is why I don't cramp, I just get sore. Good to know, thanks!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM

I chug down an iced cold Pedialyte before a warm weather race. Its gross, has to be cold, but works. Also stay away from coffee in the AM. I would get calf cramps during a TRX workout, passed on the coffee next time and no more cramps. That and train the muscles, as hard and as much as you can.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Banned

Practice practice practice.......holding on to the bike with your legs, a good diet and full body workouts are very key to a structured and strong base.

By full body workouts I mean, excercises like flipping a small tractor tire, dragging a tire, dead lifts, power cleans etc. Doing these incoporates your hands, arms, legs, back, stomach and your gluts(butt). Every base muscle. Isolated muscle excercises are good if you wanna look pretty. Think power-endurance in your workout routine. Endurance to go the distance and power to keep lifting the bike and manuvering it around.

If you don't like the rigid discipline of working out....in my best shape I was riding a mtn. bike 3 to 4 times a week and running/walking bleachers with a 50lbs weight vest. The more you start working your body the more attention you will pay to what you put in it to fuel it.

Supplements scare the crap outta me, in neighboring Fire depts we have had three cardiac related deaths in the last year all under 40 yrs of age. Two they have linked back to supplements in their diet. Monster, redbull...that kinda crap.

In the end do what feels good for your body type cause everyone is different!

My .2 cents
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Monster and Redbull are not supplements. They are sugar and caffeine and other junk. I agree that crap like that is the downfall of man, but there are some reliable and acceptable supplements that do help the body, when used for a specific purpose under the guidance of a trainer. That being said, I use food as a supplement, grains, pasta, natural proteins, etc. and avoid as much as I can regarding the "medicinal" style supplements. I do use Nuun extensively, it's a much better alternative than Gatorade, but that is the extent of my outside sources of supplements.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Monster and Redbull are not supplements. They are sugar and caffeine and other junk. I agree that crap like that is the downfall of man, but there are some reliable and acceptable supplements that do help the body, when used for a specific purpose under the guidance of a trainer. That being said, I use food as a supplement, grains, pasta, natural proteins, etc. and avoid as much as I can regarding the "medicinal" style supplements. I do use Nuun extensively, it's a much better alternative than Gatorade, but that is the extent of my outside sources of supplements.
I ocassional deal with cramping, I just did a 200 mile race without any cramping.

I pre-race hydrate 2-3 days before the race, just chugging lots of water throught the day.
Second, I take magnesium and potassium pills starting at least a week prior to the race...one each in the morning and same before bed.
Any suppliments you take should start at least 4-5 days before the event.

Eating healthy is always a plus, pickle juice is good for post race attacks...you know those middle of the night screaming lock-ups.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:57 AM

ever get both legs cramping and spasm at the same time? Mine do, doesn't seam riding or work out related but will happen when sleeping and be bad enough that the knees and ankles crack like knocks cracking.. lasts for 5-10 minutes of severe pain. tried pickle juice, and stuff.. valium when it happens works but the Dr's act like I'm BS'ing them..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM

I have been telling people about magnesium for 10 yrs on, well, the um...orange kool aid site...

I ate about a thousand bananas trying to get potassium, only got the running crap shoots, still had cramps. Bananas just gave me stomach cramps with my leg cramps so I walked funny and bent over holding my guts. Bananas are great for constipation I now know. Funny thing is Magnesium can cause constipation.

Pickle juice only works if you drink it for several days before you ride. It takes awhile to build up in your system. Not sure if pickle juice has both magnesium and potassium, or just one. Actually, any supplement takes several days to fully assimilate in your system. I think Mustard has potassium too?

Most people with severe muscle cramps are actually low on potassium, not magnesium, but you don't know until you experiment.

I take alot of Rolaids, Omeprazole, and other stomach acid remedies, which I learned when I got stomach cancer, all cause you to be low on Magnesium and or Calcium! Rolaids have calcium and magnesium in them, but not enough to replace what is lost from the antacid.

By the way, if you have severe ongoing acid reflux, ask your doctor to test for "Barrets Esophagus". It's a pre cancerous condition. When I got scoped they found that, 3 ulcers, a damaged Pyloric valve, and a few cancer cells. My doc didn't agree that straight whiskey should kill it. But I keep trying anyway.

Oh, I also learned that heavy drinkers often are low on Potassium and Magnesium! I'm not a heavy drinker though. Not by Irish, British, or Scottish standards anyway. But I did cut back a bit. The doc said dark beer was the easiest on the stomach, but also has the most calories.

I'm cheap, so I hate to buy magnesium tabs which are expensive for the good ones, and I finally ate all of the side cases off my old 84 Husky, (magnesium cases), and people look at me funny when I lick batteries, so I just take 2 multivitamins a day starting 3 days before I ride. On the day before I ride I take one in the morning, one at night, one with Breakfast before I ride, and one right before I ride. Seems to give me all the Pot and Mag I need.

I chase the big horse pill vitamins with dark beer. Makes them go down easier.

Last edited by jgas; 10-02-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Alzheimers.