Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 AM

Default HELP!!! Intermitting loosing spark

2007 ec 250 looses spark and cuts out after riding for around an hour. Anyone ever had this fault?. It starts after jiggling about with coil wire and unplugging and re plugging cdi connector. Dont no if this is a coinceidence but spark appears seems quite weak and it starts for another while..
Heres a bit of background info
Bike had a really bad missfire before after it got warm about 10/15minutes, so tried a friends coil and the wee black box thats bolted on to the coil..cured problem raced for 2.5 hour without a problem....so ordered a new coil
fitted it and ever since the bike stops every hour with no spark. Checked all wiring opened loom and checked all wires and connections / coil earth etc. Could that wee box bolted to the coil cause all this problem? Or is there just that many problems maybe it lies elsewhere??
I am trying to eliminate the fault quick as i have entered a race but its so time consuming as the bike will run for about an hour perfect.. any info would be a help thanks..

Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiler46 View Post
2007 ec 250 looses spark and cuts out after riding for around an hour. Anyone ever had this fault?. It starts after jiggling about with coil wire and unplugging and re plugging cdi connector. Dont no if this is a coinceidence but spark appears seems quite weak and it starts for another while..
Heres a bit of background info
Bike had a really bad missfire before after it got warm about 10/15minutes, so tried a friends coil and the wee black box thats bolted on to the coil..cured problem raced for 2.5 hour without a problem....so ordered a new coil
fitted it and ever since the bike stops every hour with no spark. Checked all wiring opened loom and checked all wires and connections / coil earth etc. Could that wee box bolted to the coil cause all this problem? Or is there just that many problems maybe it lies elsewhere??
I am trying to eliminate the fault quick as i have entered a race but its so time consuming as the bike will run for about an hour perfect.. any info would be a help thanks..
I had a similar problem with my 06 200. The problem was a bad ground connection at the coil, the frame was rusted at the place where the coil ground wire is connectd (at one of the coil screws).
But as you already have checked the coil grounding this is perhaps something different?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM

"wee box bolted to the coil" is likely your voltage regulator and has nothing to do with the operation of the ignition system.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 AM

cheers yes already checked frame etc. ok good that rules voltage, regulator out.
just removed flywheel, outer insulation on stator is starting to crack and found a crack on the pickup coil casing.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Cracks that let in moisture can be a problem. As to the stator, only the "single winding" (exciter) is important. It's different from the others and powers the CDI. The flywheel sensing (impulse) coil that triggers the CDI can be tested for resistance value. The yellow and white wires are the lighting windings (nothing to do with ignition).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stator.jpg (89.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 AM

I sent it off to get test and re wound but they say that its okay and it doesnt need anything.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 AM

I had similar with my 2006 ec 200. In the end it was coil > cdi wire. Story here:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21186