Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Default 250f

Anybody seen the new 250f?
I'm all over the place on bikes, but have kind of decided that I'd like to try a 250f.
I was looking at the WR250f and the XCF-W, then remembered that the GG 250f uses the WR motor, so it's an option.
Pretty sure it doesn't have the hydraulic clutch like the KTM, but I'll manage
There are some smoking deals on leftover WR's, but nothing really close to me.
What's the difference between the GG and the Yamaha, the engine being the same, essentially?
I don't want the 2010, I'm very superficial and don't care for the way they look; Great deals on the '10 though.
I like to say that I'm just deep enough to know that I'm shallow and superficial.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Link..
http://www.gasgasmotos.es/es/enduro/...-250-f-4t.html

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Default Thanks....

I did see the pics on the gg site.... anybody have a tissue?
I guess my goal is to just see if the GG makes more sense.
I know that when you compare the WR to the XC-F, people say that the KTM costs more for a reason- and that the bikes are worlds apart in components, quality, etc.
Just trying to see if the same applies with the GG, which I assume it does.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM

I had been on a Gas Gas 2-stroke since 2001. In 2010 I was ready for something different. Almost made the switch to Husqvarna. Then GG came out with the 250F!! I got my first one in January 2010. I did some general mods and I immediately fell in love. So much that in July 2010 I got a second. Sold all of my 2-strokes and never looked back. The bike just fits me better. I can ride it like a 125 but have the pulling power of a 250. Granted, I am partial to Gas Gas as this is my 10th year riding them, but I truly feel that this is an amazing machine. A great motor in a great chassis with great suspension!! Let me know if I can help your decision in any way questions or concerns!

Daniel Janus
Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 PM

The pic was to show you the hydraulic clutch..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM

The Yamaha WR is bigger and taller than the GG, and does not steer as well, but is a nice bike at a good price. Weight is likely about the same but I'll bet the GG feels lighter. I like the Yam 250F motor and would like to try the GG. I just don't think I would want it as my only bike.

If the KTM goes boom its a part out, you will not be able to afford the repairs IF they have all the parts in Ohio. At least with the Yamaha you have options, they are like HD V Twins or 350 Chevys as far as parts availability.

The new Huskys have a very spotty reliability record from what I hear first hand, no rumors. Low end power sucks too.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

i went round and round between the 250f and the ec300, if I can sell a bunch of stuff off, i may still have to try one... anyone need a nice 2003 ducati 999
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I had hoped my 12 yr old son would be more interested in racing youth HS, but he'd rather play field sports and just ride occasionally. If he did want to race I would consider one of these as a second bike and hit more HS races with him. I like the idea of a smaller bike for HS. As a general purpose do it all bike I prefer the 2 stroke with more grunt. I don't know how much 250F saddle time you have but even the Yamaha WR which is one of the best off the bottom is nothing like a GG 300 2 stroke and needs to be buzzed to get anywhere especially on hills.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Default 250f

I have 2006 KDX200 and a 2008 KLX450r
I started riding again in 2007 after a 25 year break. Found the KDX new as a leftover and bought it- figured I'd ride for a few weeks and get the mid-life crisis thing out of my system. Still plugging away..... barely.
I like the characteristics of the 450- something about the torque and power delivery.... like a tractor.
Thought it would be nice to try that in a smaller pkg.
I've done quite a bit to the KDX over the past year or so, including swapping out the forks for USD KX250 forks. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, though.
There are some great deals out there on left-overs.
Ultimately, though- it seems you can spend a bit more and get a bike with better components.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 PM

I like Daniel Janus have been riding 2 strokes my whole life and rode the 250F at dealer show last year. I immediately fell in love with the 250F. I bought the 2010 and love everything about it. There are many things that make it faster that do not cost much or are free. The 2011 is exactly the same bike except the shock. I would get the 2010 leftover if you dont want to spend for new one. I am getting the same bike for next year, year after that and after that. I am that satisfied!