Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Question Seat mounting bolt '19 EC300

Hello fellow gassers!
Am I the only one who thinks that the design engineers in Spain were having a heavy party just before they sit down and sketched the design of the plastic side panels? I'm riding for almost 25 years now and never had so much troubles removing/fitting the side panels as I have on my brand new (2019) Gas Gas EC 300. And that's not the only thing, just read on.

The most irritating is the "missing hole" for the seat bolt on the right side panel.

Here is what I'm talking about:
In order to completely remove the right side panel, you have to first remove the seat.
In order to remove the seat, you need to remove the right side panel to get to the seat mounting bolt! But the right side panel is screwed with one screw under the seat! Head XXII!

Here few pictures:
This is the left side panel removed and I'm pointing at the left seat mounting bolt.

To remove the Right panel you need to unscrew two bolts on a side and one is covered under the seat. So you only unscrew the two, then you need to firmly push the side panel downwards to get access to the second seat bolt.
Like this:

Then you unscrew the seat bolt (I have already lost the original one lol ) And then you finally can get to the third screw to remove the side panel.

this one

Am I the only one thinking that there should have been an access hole somewhere where my finger is pointing in order to seamlessly access the bolts needed to remove the seat?

I have also ordered a polisport set of plastic guards for the swing arm, and they too do not fit very well. THe cut for the rear brake hose holder on the swingarm is shifted back about 10cm! Might be a Polisport problem, not adapting to the "newest design" of the 2019 GasGas... :-/ Who knows?
I'll try to upload an image later as I reached max amount already

Why I'm posting this?
Except for the fact that it is a bit of a pain to get the panel removed, and the swing arm protectors don't fit, I have also ordered a new set of springs for my front and rear suspension from K-Tech. Springs supposedly made for GasGasEC300 2019, but the new rear shock spring is a few millimeters bigger in the inner diameter than the one I have originally fitted on the bike and what is even odder that the spring is conical! Original has some 59mil at the bottom end and some 62mil at the top end. Where the K-tech had some 64mil at the bottom and even more at the top.
I don't know if they made something like they did with Honda CRF (and many other brands) that they made an EU version and a US version of the bike, so perhaps some minor differences?

So, my question is (finally! )
Can some of you, proud owners of the GasGasEC300 2019, take out and measure the original rear shock spring for me?
Because of the side panel "issue" and the difference in springs, I'm wondering where the issue is? If it was a mistake at the K-tech shop side and they have sent something different, or I have something not quite right fitted on my bike as "original" or perhaps from different model, or year or country spec? And I mean the swing arm, side panels and the springs(whole rear shock?)

Thanks everyone for their measurements and if you can't measure, feel free to express your opinion on this.
This is my first brand new bike from a shop, until now I always rode used bikes where these issues were very common and I was expecting this, but I'm curious why this happened on a brand new bike where everything should be original from factory.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat2.jpg (54.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Seat3.jpg (110.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Seat1.jpg (63.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Seat0.jpg (81.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Seat4.jpg (81.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Here is the swing arm protector not fitting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swingarm1.jpg (88.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Re the seat bolt:
I just have the airbox access panel bolt installed only, seems to be working fine on it's own.

Re the swingarm guard:
Mine fit just fine on the 18' ec300. I'll get some pictures today for comparison.

HTH
Old 12-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

My 2018 only has the one bolt for the seat, on the air box side.

Some people have added the extra bolt on the exhaust side. An access hole is then drilled in the side cover.

You can delete the bolt on the top right side cover (by battery), this would allow the side cover to be removed while the seat is on.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Here's my 18's swingarm guard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191215_164442.jpg (118.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez View Post
Here's my 18's swingarm guard
Yes! That's how it should fit. Yours is '18 right? I'm wondering if mine was from a "Friday's last shift" or it's some new "technical improvement" for 2019 model :-/
But thanks for the pictures
Old 12-17-2019, 02:50 AM

You are probably the only GG 300 2018/2019 owner who has fitted the right hand seat bolt. Originally the bike comes with one bolt only. No need to install a second one. And I have crashed my Gasser's harder than in your video

The swing arm covers you have are for 2018 and that is why they do not fit. I know 24mx sells them as "for GasGas 2018/2019" but they sell a lot of sh*t, like clutch springs and other parts that simply don't fit. On the 2019 the brake line holder is improved and has been moved further forward. Compare your pic with Gez's and you will see what I mean

Regards from Austria
Doc
Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post

You can delete the bolt on the top right side cover (by battery), this would allow the side cover to be removed while the seat is on.
I know, but I don't want to do that, because it looks kinda flimsy and I'm afraid of loosing that side panel with my riding "style" very quickly
https://youtu.be/xdOoIjItGgI
Old 12-15-2019, 08:05 PM

Yep only LHS bolt required. Mine only came with one.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:12 PM

Bahahaha....... I love that video SparrowCZ! I agree completely on removal of the seat! I?ve got a 2009 ec250 that is one easy screw removal to get under the seat. I also just upgraded to a 2019 EC300, funny you bring this up as I felt the same way! I do like your idea of punching a hole through the plastic on the right side to gain access to that hidden bolt. Will look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the good laugh man!

Tags
2019, ec300, plastic, seat, springs