Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 AM

Question GasGas EC 300 2011 need new shock spring

Hi All
I am very happy i found this forum, been reading most of the suspension posts but still have some questions.

I have a new GasGas EC 300 Racing 2011, i am from Israel so the racing model here comes with the Marzocchi 48 mm front and Ohlins 888 rear.

my weight is 200 pound witout gear (so i assume 10-20 pounds more with gear)
rear shock stock spring is 5.2, and here is the problem:
with shock spring preload at 10mm from full open i get a static sag of 35mm and rider sag 135mm, so i had to close shock preload to 25mm from full open and now i get the desired 105mm rider sag but the static sag is only 20mm.

all this tells me my rear shock spring rate is too soft, any idea what spring rate i need and where can i get it in the USA or Europe?

Thanks for the help. (can add pictures if its any help)

Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 AM

I weigh within 5 lbs of you and the 5.6 spring worked perfectly for me. The Sachs and Ohlins spring can be interchanged but the 5.6 Sachs aftermarket spring I bought happened to be slightly bigger ID so Les at LTR made me a spacer.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM

it may help someone..

after speaking with the main tech guy for Ohlins in Sweden, i need a 5.8 spring.
he also noted that adding preload beyond the max 10mm can damage the shock internals.

ordering a 5.8 shock from a dealer (those springs are hard to find as dealers hardly stock them)

must say Stacy at Ohlins USA and Lars from Ohlins Sweden where super friendly and very happy to help.

for now will set it back to 10mm preload and live with the sag i get, rather then push to 105mm with too much preload that can hurt the shock.

Last edited by drorsdd; 08-29-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 PM

5.8 sounds too high. I'm 190 lbs and run a 5.4. I'd say you could go 5.6. I never heard of shock damage from too much preload, but it will make for a harsh action, especially on rebound from small impacts. You want to try to keep it under 10mm.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
5.8 sounds too high. I'm 190 lbs and run a 5.4. I'd say you could go 5.6. I never heard of shock damage from too much preload, but it will make for a harsh action, especially on rebound from small impacts. You want to try to keep it under 10mm.
well both Stacy at Ohlins USA and Lars from Ohlins Sweden said i am borderline between 5.6 & 5.8 , Lars said that with my height 1.90cm i should go with the 5.8.

with gear i am easily at the 220 pounds, not sure what i should do
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
well both Stacy at Ohlins USA and Lars from Ohlins Sweden said i am borderline between 5.6 & 5.8 , Lars said that with my height 1.90cm i should go with the 5.8.

with gear i am easily at the 220 pounds, not sure what i should do
I'm 205 without gear and the 5.6 is perfect for me. I think it depends on your riding level, the kind of riding you are doing and your personal preference. My riding consists of lots of roots and rocks, mostly single track with very few jumps. I need my suspension to provide great traction on the choppy stuff rather than land a triple jump.

Why does height become a factor for a stiffer spring? I'm 6'6" tall so if there is a factor that makes a difference it should apply to me.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankydoug View Post
I'm 205 without gear and the 5.6 is perfect for me. I think it depends on your riding level, the kind of riding you are doing and your personal preference. My riding consists of lots of roots and rocks, mostly single track with very few jumps. I need my suspension to provide great traction on the choppy stuff rather than land a triple jump.

Why does height become a factor for a stiffer spring? I'm 6'6" tall so if there is a factor that makes a difference it should apply to me.
Hi
i am not in a point to argue with your experience, i am having hard time deciding on which spring to go with, but 3 different Ohlins professionals Stacy from Ohlins USA, Lars from sweden and the Italian technician from Ohlins Italy that actually have that spring in stock say to go with the 5.8, and that in worst case i can always loosen preload to even 5mm to get the right sag and softer feel.

they also said that if lars which is the top Ohlins technician say 5.8 than i should listen to him. so hard for me to argue.

most of my riding is single tracks and special tests at fast speed, most of my rides are not relaxed with the boys but training for races or racing

in worst case i just get a 5.6 later on.

btw with the 5.6 what preload, static/rider sag you have now?

thanks

Last edited by drorsdd; 08-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Yes, terrain and speed, while not the main factor, will have an influence as well. A fast sand rider will want it stiffer than a slower technical rider. Whats your terrain and ability?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drorsdd View Post
Hi
i am not in a point to argue with your experience, i am having hard time deciding on which spring to go with, but 3 different Ohlins professionals Stacy from Ohlins USA, Lars from sweden and the Italian technician from Ohlins Italy that actually have that spring in stock say to go with the 5.8, and that in worst case i can always loosen preload to even 5mm to get the right sag and softer feel.

they also said that if lars which is the top Ohlins technician say 5.8 than i should listen to him. so hard for me to argue.

most of my riding is single tracks and special tests at fast speed, most of my rides are not relaxed with the boys but training for races or racing

in worst case i just get a 5.6 later on.

btw with the 5.6 what preload, static/rider sag you have now?

thanks
Sorry if I gave the impression that I was arguing. I think a 5.8 might work for me as well but I went off LTRs recommendations. Maybe it's because I'm older and slower than you. I am curious as to why and how height comes into play. Les asked my height and even wrote it on my spec sheet but I never asked him how it changed things. Since getting back in to riding I've been changing my riding style to more of a trials/technical style than the motocross style of my youth but if you are more of a hard charger maybe a 5.8 is best.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Yes, terrain and speed, while not the main factor, will have an influence as well. A fast sand rider will want it stiffer than a slower technical rider. Whats your terrain and ability?
terrain is mostly rocky, with loose sharp edged stones but also the fast special test or single tracks in woods, we don't have ruts or roots and the soil is mostly dry and hard packed, but we also have sand and sand dunes really depends where you go, but i don's like the slow technical stuff too much and rather be on the move.

riding level is i am not sure as we don't have classes like in the US , i am on the top division but in the medium to lower end so i would guess a B/C class rider.

as it's pretty hot here most year long i always ride with 3 liter camelback (also in races) and tool pack , knee braces & leatt brace so i bet i am pushing 220-225 pounds with full gear.

Last edited by drorsdd; 08-31-2011 at 05:12 AM.