Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Default 17" motard wheels on EC300 ??

I have a set of 17" ktm motard wheels. will they fit on a 2006 EC300. Has anybody try this. or is it to much work. thanks

Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM

they could work but you'll have to make them fit.
maybe different bearings an seals + correct bushes.
would be HEAPS of fun!!

good luck!

ciao, Hannes.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I had an 07 husky 610 dual sport, wasn't much on the trail but I had a set of motard tires built and it was a hoot on the street. basically gave them away with the bike when i sold it to a buddy. but I couldn't keep up with all the crud in the barn, he is getting some fun out of it now, rides it 99% with the 'tard wheels on
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Here is mine wih the motard setup on.

Got this setup from motocrosscentre.com
If you are keen , get onto Antonio.
These were well priced and came ready to bolt on,(tyres and all).
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM

nice bike, what brand name wheels are they.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:05 AM

I had Motard Rims that came with my XR650R, I just sold them as I just don't use them. Got like $800 for them. The few times I used them on the road I rode like a Hooligan...yeah I could see a few tickets in my future.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
nice bike, what brand name wheels are they.
Morad rims mate.
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 03-25-2013, 12:30 AM

Be VERY careful of putting SuperMotard wheels on your GasGas.
You will have so much fun with them you will never take them off.
It will ruin a perfectly good dirt bike......Or you will have to get another
dirt bike......At least that what I did.
Motard is so addictive, I now have (5) of them....
Here are three of them

A Derbi and a GasGas 50SM

The KDX240SM

Cheers, Jeff
Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
I have a set of 17" ktm motard wheels. will they fit on a 2006 EC300. Has anybody try this. or is it to much work. thanks
Back to the original topic.
I did something similar with my Bimota BB1 Supermono some years back, when I adapted a set of PVM magnesium wheels from a Ducati TT2 to my BB1. The Ducati has a left-hand chain, while the BB1 has a Rotax engine with right-hand chain. Quite a few hours in the workshop with miller and lathe...
I also plan to adapt my OEM GG wheel to the KYB fork that I plan to mount on my 06 EC200.

Making the front wheel fit should be pretty straight forward. If you have access to a lathe, making a set of new bushings for the Gasgas axle is pretty simple. I presume the KTM axle is at least as big (in diameter) as the Gasgas one. Of course you must make/buy an adapter for the front calliper to fit the bigger brake disk. These can be bought as Gasgas OEM parts, both for moving the OEM Nissin calliper out, or for using a standard "40mm Brembo" calliper. These "40mm" callipers can be found everywhere, both as Brembo calliper or more exotic ones like ISR, Beringer, PVM, AP or others.
You may have to move the wheel slightly sideways to line up the brake disk and calliper. A mm or two in either direction should be no big issue, but if it's more than that, I would consider making a bespoke calliper bracket to align things properly.

The rear, OTOH, might be a more challenging task. The chain line has to be correct. The brake calliper must be aligned with the disk. The first thing to check is the distance between the sprocket and brake disk. If this distance is the same on the GG and KTM wheels, you have won the lottery. If the KTM distance is narrower, the hub may need some adapter rings to space the sprocket or disk out from the hub. If the KTM is wider between disk and sprocket, you may consider a new rear calliper bracket, or turning down the KTM hub.
You must also check that the rear disk diameter is the same. If not, you can solve it by moving the calliper using a new calliper bracket. The same bracket can of course be used to align it sideways if needed.
When the chain line is correct, you must also ensure that the wheel sits on the bike's centre line, and that the wheels are correctly aligned. If it doesn't, the sprocket may have to be moved sideways. This can me done by making a offset sprocket front or rear.

These tasks may or may not be easy to do, depending of the differences between the wheels.
As you have both GG and KTM wheels at hand, the first thing to do would be to take all the necessary measurements. What you then find, will tell you how hard it would be to do the conversion.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM

thanks anders. great info.