Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Replaced that twice just to make sure. I guess it is either the head or the pump again. I am leaning to the pump as the initial fix corrected the problem for a short time.

Guess I will buy another pump kit with a shaft this time and see if that works.

I must have some kind of aurora that causes every bike in my presence to break as I had the same back luck with my Italian Husky. I was hoping that the Gas Gas being a 2 stroke would simplify the whole experience, boy was I wrong...
That's sucks! I have a buddy who is the same way. This guy carries a dark cloud with him. Any bike he has bought has the weirdest stuff happen to it. It started when we where 10 yrs old. His dad bought him a brand new RM80 we rode the crap out of our bikes on the farm fields, he jumps a ditch and cases the bike on the only rock within a mile around and cracks the case. It's been downhill ever since. Clutch cables snapping in the middle of know where, throttle sticking along a canal bank I could go on? He finally gave up dirt bikes and has now settled to riding in a sidexside.

Off topic I know, just thought I might distract you for a minute?

Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM

Just because this leak is being such a pain in the butt, I would be pressure testing and finding the leak to know 100% what it is this time. Just in case there is a strange flaw / defect somewhere right?

How are the water pump bearings? It does seem odd to me that you would wear out the seal in such a small hour count.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM

I spoke with Halls and they said the only way for coolant to get into the crankcase was either a failed clutch cover gasket or a failed water pump seal. They said a cracked head or base gasket would not allow coolant to get into the crankcase and would cause other symptoms.

So while the pressure test overall is a good idea, it is almost pointless since I know it is not the clutch cover gasket, so it has to be the pump seal.

Ordered a new pump rebuild kit, but this time with the bearings and shaft.

Hopefully that fixes the problem for good, if not, then there are some other inherent problems in the case or pump casting, causing a recurring failure, in which I will just get rid of the bike all together.

Last edited by 95jersey; 07-21-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Replaced that twice just to make sure. I guess it is either the head or the pump again. I am leaning to the pump as the initial fix corrected the problem for a short time.

Guess I will buy another pump kit with a shaft this time and see if that works.

I must have some kind of aurora that causes every bike in my presence to break as I had the same back luck with my Italian Husky. I was hoping that the Gas Gas being a 2 stroke would simplify the whole experience, boy was I wrong...
I changed the water pump seal on my 2010 model at 260hrs when I did the bottom end, for maintenance purposes only.. It's unfortunate yours has chewed threw 2 in such short time. I'd be going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

If you have coolant in the transmission oil the only way it'll get there is if you have a serious casting issue in the cases, failed gaskets, or a pump seal failure.

Head/Oring failure will show different signs including either losing coolant into the crankcase (bottom end - not tranny), or overpressurising the cooling system and blowing it out the overflow.

It sounds like you've narrowed it down to the impellor seal, which makes sense if it did resolve for a period of time. Check the shaft well, make sure the new seal goes in safely, and I'd also spend some time checking the bearings it rides in and replacing if required. If the bearing has excessive play/tolerance and the shaft is allowed to move it could also wear the seal prematurely.