Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default My .02

After reading these posts [and other forums over the years] I decided to make a change.
I had great results for many years with Motul 800 [50:1] in my Yamaha. Upon switching to KTM & Gas Gas I began to notice spooge drip line running down the length of the silencer. It was actually worse with my Gassers than the KTM.

Last year I switched to Redline [50:1] and the results were much better but still developed more spooge than I liked. The Motul 800 developed so much that it actually would drip off the silencer onto the swingarm. The Redline mix was better but still dripped about halfway down the silencer and was thick enough to be difficult to clean off.

So, for this last weekends ride I made the switch back to Motul but the 710 [based on some posts here] at the same 50:1 ratio.

After 2.5hrs of a mix of single track and fast double track, I had ZERO spooge running down the silencer.

I will note that I had less "smoke time" on warm up and when hard on the gas out on the trail with the 710 than I did with either the 800 or Redline. Throttle response seemed better and power/torque delivery "felt" stronger.

The "non existent" spooge tells me that it is indeed a "cleaner" burning mix. I will keep an eye on things to make sure that it is the case and not a situation that is actually too lean. I think I will stay with this one for a while since one ride may not be a sufficient test.

FWIW that is my 2 cents.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Amsoil Dominator and 710 are very similar especially if you are a lugger.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

That was what I also found with the 800/710.
Read some more and I believe the 800 needs a higher temp to burn so if you lugging with slightly rich jetting it will not burn off as well as the 710
Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
That was what I also found with the 800/710.
Read some more and I believe the 800 needs a higher temp to burn so if you lugging with slightly rich jetting it will not burn off as well as the 710
Exactly, Motul 800 has a higher flash point than 710, so requires a higher temperatures to burn off efficiently.
800 is designed around high rpm and high load engines, generally, offroad riding doesn't evoke situations where the engine is hot enough for 800 to burn off, hence the spooge.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Exactly, Motul 800 has a higher flash point than 710, so requires a higher temperatures to burn off efficiently.
800 is designed around high rpm and high load engines, generally, offroad riding doesn't evoke situations where the engine is hot enough for 800 to burn off, hence the spooge.
And that's a bad thing ????I rather have it coming down the exhaust then having it transform to carbon on the valve and piston
Old 12-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Motool 710/800 and Dominator are 2 stroke oils, no valves - no worries.
800 would be for WFO around an MX type track or if you were road-racing a 2T or a very, very fast offroad guy. 710/Dominator are oils for those not WFO all the time, they won't fill up your silencer baffles with un-burnt oil.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
And that's a bad thing ????I rather have it coming down the exhaust then having it transform to carbon on the valve and piston
It won't carbon up the piston as the oil gets burned in the pipe (unless you are VERY hot in the combustion chamber). Oil isn't part of the combustion mixture, it gets burned off in the pipe (counter intuitive, I know). A low temp oil will burn in the combustion chamber if the engine gets too hot, like you don't have coolant, etc, but in general the oil gets pumped into the pipe where it burns off or spooges out the back.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:52 PM

In theory oil should separate from gas in the crankcase and only gas should come up the transfer ports to the cylinder but that's not always the case. Low flash point oils are more prone to get burned along with gas, the carbon deposits on top of the piston are the consequence of this .
Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default winter

Ha
you know a lot of guys are not riding now !! I swear the how much and what kind of oil discussions come up frequently in dec. jan.
I came up with an excuse not to go out today (too cold + wet) and here I am
Stoby
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoby View Post
Ha
you know a lot of guys are not riding now !! I swear the how much and what kind of oil discussions come up frequently in dec. jan.
I came up with an excuse not to go out today (too cold + wet) and here I am
Stoby
Too funny...