Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-05-2023, 04:08 PM

Default Proper way to ride 2 stroke

Hi! Im bringing 2 stroke EC 125 to the street. You mix oil with the gas.
I've heard rumours that the engine gets little oil when you aren't giving much throttle, but is that only with oil pumps? I mean if since oil and gas is mixed, if it gets gas, it gets oil right?
Also which RPMs should I ride? Since I am on the street, I can't just accelerate and brake like on the dirt. Here Im holding same speed for 2km+. Do I go low rpm, mid, high?e
Thanks

Old 02-06-2023, 07:45 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

While it can be made to work, that bike is not ideal for long street riding. Yes the oil is in your fuel and you need to have the correct amount of oil in the fuel and you will need to make sure the carb is jetted correctly so you have the correct amount of fuel for the amount of air entering the engine. There is no oil pump in this bike. This is adjusted by choosing proper sized jets and is known as jetting.

You will need to choose a good quality premix oil and make sure the carb is jetted correctly or a little on the rich (more fuel than necessary) side to make sure it does not seize during extended street riding.

I would say 1/3 to 1/2 throttle is a good choice for rpm for higher gears for longer periods of time.

You should consider the sprocket final drive ratio (rear to front) so you can keep the engine operating in a reasonable rpm range for the maximum continuous speed you wish to ride. Standard sprockets for that bike will likely allow a maximum speed of around 65mph (105km/h) and a reasonable continuous speed of about 45mph (75 km/h). As you raise the top speed with a smaller rear sprocket you reduce your acceleration rate. I think the front counter shaft sprocket is limited to a maximum of 13 teeth before it has clearance problems with the frame.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:38 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

One situation that will starve the engine of oil is on long downhills with no throttle, just using engine breaking - so good to give the odd blip in these situations

another one i am not sure of which relates to your situation is long WOT sections. I did one race years ago that had a long straight dirt road with a sign at the beginning saying "give it!!" what the factory teams told us to do here was pin it for 10 seconds then hit the kill switch for a second (still WOT) and repeat. this will put unburnt fuel through the engine every 10 seconds to keep it lubed
The alternative is to jet your main in this situation
Old 02-06-2023, 01:57 PM

Okey. I understand it like this:
I should sit at around 1/3 - 1/2 of the throttle.
I should find a gearing so I can ride at approx 50-70 with mid rpms.
I should use good premix oil and good jetting
I should not engine brake, Instead I should pull in the clutch and give it some small revs to get fuel/oil mix right?
Especially in downhills, I should pull in clutch, and blip the throttle not to starve the engine
Old 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM

I know 2 strokes like this are bad for the road, but my dream is to ride a supermoto like this on the street so why not. This one is unrestricted aswell, but my other one is restricted, so I assume that will hold longer aswell
Im gonna make sure to warm up good, maybe get a temperature gauge so I know if it starts to overheat
Im also gonna do piston changes around 100h
Old 02-06-2023, 02:03 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Sounds about right.

biggest risk with this bike on the street is trying to behave
Old 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Sounds like a plan. You should check your spark plug often until you get it tuned properly.
Old 02-07-2023, 05:00 AM

Yes. Pretty sure when I tested it, it was crisp as fuck but I will make sure!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:23 PM

Crisp might sound like a good thing but could also be on the lean side. Most 2 strokes run really well just before they seize in my experience.

The objective would be to get it correctly jetted so it doesn't seize.

If it seizes on the road, you may need more than just new underpants.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:00 AM

That is true. I'll make sure to check spark plug. Chocolate milk brown right?