Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 PM

We need to somehow inform the public of what's really happening to our country. Our media's sure as H aren't gonna.

'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
I don't know if anybody is up to speed on this issue but the CPSC has banned the sale of any bikes or ATVs primarily intended for use by children 12 and under by Feb 10th, 2009. Dealers cannot sell bikes or repair parts for any of the affected models. My understanding speaking to the Honda dealers is the CRF 50/70/80 is affected. Yamaha dealers told me all TTRs 125 and under plus anything else of small displacement are on the list

The owners of ThumperTalk have a petition to the CPSC. Please look into this issue. The repercussions aren't good.

Letters, phone calls and emails to our various representatives and to the CPSC are in order.

Thanks, Bill.

Note: Admin, if you could sticky this or create a new thread addressing this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm still dumbfounded at the sheer stupidity of our governmental officials.

Excuse me, I'll be right back. I need to make sure the kids aren't eating their dirt bikes.
I signed the Thumpertalk.com petition, and left a comment.

We (My four year old grandaughter ) rode her XR50 (with training wheels) for two hours yesterday. We (for my grandchildren's use) have two XR50s and a CRF70. In the next year, we will need at least one more. (I have several small grandchildren.)

We rode on our backyard/vacant lot woods trail for two hours yesterday afternoon. Neither of the two preschool grandchildren who participated licked or chewed on either XR50, in any way.

This afternoon, I am driving to a Honda shop in a nearby town, and purchasing one of the two leftover 2007 CRF50s that they have in stock.

Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 02-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
You can bet that a bunch of lawyers lobbied and paid off some corrupt bureucrats or whoever to get this one rolling.This small example speaks volumes about whats wrong with the system.

don't blame US, man. here's what really happened: Remember the scandals a few months ago about the toys from China with lead paint & the melamine in the baby formula & whatever it was that was in the dog food?

in response to that, the congress passed a law that prohibits lead above a certain level in products intended for kids younger than 12, & also requiring testing for lead levels in such products. there is no consideration for whether the product is something that a kid would be likely to put into his or her mouth.

so in addition to stuff that actually makes sense, such as small toys intended for really little kids, some metal alloys contained in mini bike parts contain lead, so there you go. the TESTING requirement has been suspended for a year, & there is some talk of giving relief to libraries, but so far, notwithstanding the efforts of the MIC, the AMA, Honda & various others, there is no relief that I know of for mini bikes, mini bike parts, or gear intended for mini riders. remember, even tho the testing requirement has been suspended, the prohibition against selling items which are above the limit for lead remains (a key distinction). it's stupid, but it is what it is (and lawyers didn't do it!).
Old 02-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Thumbs up

Actually, it was the lawyers in Congress that wrote the bill. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
This bill was a knee jerk, poorly thought out reaction to a real problem. It wouldn't have taken a lot more thought to properly word such a bill, so that it would protect our children from the crap that China (and other third world manufacturing plants) has been dumping on the US market (and that the US buying public has been supporting).

Thanks, lawman, for the additional information. It helped my decision.

Today, I did something I've never done before in my 56 years. I purchased a brand new Honda motorcycle. (2007 CRF50)

Jim
Plenty of grandkids, and just enough bikes.
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 PM

This could also effect youth racing since they will be on illegal bikes
and the AMA or promoters could be breaking the law.
My kid's are going to be pissed!
Bob in MN
Check the AMA direct link site also.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 AM

What do you think is more hazardous...

a) Mercury / silver amalgam dental fillings that are placed in childrens teetk.

b) Traces of lead in a few components that children hardly ever touch on a motorcycle.

The American Dental Association has blocked efforts to restrict mercury in fillings, even though mercury is treated as a hazardous material in any other application.

This effort is just another lever to shut down motorcycles and ATVs.

Notice there is no push to make automobiles lead free. What happens if a child touches a lead containing automobile part?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM

Exclamation link to petition your congressman/senator

Ud_luz provided a link to sign an online petition at ThumperTalk in the first message in this thread. I am providing this link http://www.arra-access.com/campaign/...product_safety
that will send your congressman and senators the message below. It took me 45 seconds to fill it out and it automatically addresses it to your states elected dumbasses ....
" Dear [ Decision Maker ],

I am a constituent, and I am writing to request that you contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to urge it to grant the requests to exclude a class of materials under Section 101(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC), the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and several manufacturers and distributors.

While most parts of youth all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and youth off-highway motorcycles (OHMs) are compliant with the CPSIA lead limits, some parts unavoidably contain small quantities of lead in excess of the new limits, such as the valve stems on the tires, the aluminum in some brake components and the terminals on the batteries, to name some examples. Lead in these components is necessary, either because small amounts of lead are needed for safety (such as machining the deep grooves on tire valves, which is needed to assure tire air retention) or functionality (such as the lead in battery terminals, which is needed to conduct electricity). Because these small quantities of lead are unavoidable, powersports businesses had to cease selling numerous youth products on February 10, 2009 and will need relief from the CPSIA requirements in order to resume selling these products.

In enacting the CPSIA, Congress gave CPSC the tools to grant merited, common-sense exclusions from the lead standards. Children do not eat, lick or mouth ATV or OHM parts. As demonstrated through scientific analysis submitted with the petitions, relief from the CPSIA's lead content requirements for youth ATVs and OHMs should be granted because the lead-containing components, parts and accessories pose no risk of causing measurable increase in blood lead levels in children ages 12 and younger.

I also am very concerned about an unintended consequence of the CPSIA. Applying the new lead content regulations to youth ATVs has resulted in many youth models being unavailable to families, and may result in more youth riding adult size ATVs. CPSC, the ATV industry, consumer groups, safety advocates and parents all agree that the key to improving ATV safety for riders under the age of 16 is to keep them off of ATVs designed for adults.

I ask you to urge CPSC to grant the requests for exclusions filed by MIC, SVIA and the manufacturers/distributors."

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 PM

Missouri State Rep Tom Self's website has a very easy form letter that takes about 10 seconds to send. Methinks our helpful government will get this one right eventually(although not without considerable costs to the industry), even though some people are actually supporting this mini-bike ban.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:21 AM

New update on the ATV ban - I just got this from my congressman:
Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with the implementation of H.R. 4040, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. Hearing from you helps me better represent Middle Tennessee.

I appreciate your input about the impact the regulations of the new law will have on your small business. Many handmade toy crafters, home crafters, consignment shops, off-highway vehicle manufacturers, book publishers and other small Tennessee businesses are concerned the new lead testing standards scheduled to take effect in February could put them out of business without improving the safety of children's products. I share these concerns.

At the urging of many members of Congress, including me, the CPSC recently granted a one-year stay of testing and certification requirements as directed by the CPSIA, creating a new deadline of February 10, 2010. The decision by the commission gives the staff more time to finalize four proposed rules. This could relieve certain materials and products from lead testing and give more guidance on when testing is required and how it is to be conducted. For more information on the CPSC and CPSIA, I encourage you to visit: http://cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html.

As always I welcome your opinion on this or any other issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I may ever be of assistance.

G

Sincerely,

BART GORDON

Member of Congress
Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 AM

Another link.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=746385

Guys, this is important. Our government is completely crazy. Please contact your representatives concerning this issue.

Thank You.