Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up Tubliss and Metzeler Unicross – trials like traction with a knobby

I have run trials tires for 9 years on my ’01 GasGas XC300 and for 3 years on my ’06 EC300. Radial trials tires provide great traction on hard greasy clay, wet rocks, wet roots and the slime found in western Washington and Oregon. Trials tires have some downsides in that they are not as effective a knobby in deep snow or aggressive cornering.

When my Tubliss arrived last fall, I thought it would be a excellent opportunity to try a good knobby at low pressure. I have heard much about the Pirelli MT-16. However, the MT-16 it is not DOT approved. I read that the Metzeler Unicross is very similar to the MT-16 and is DOT approved (for dual sport riding), so I bought a Metzeler Unicross rear tire.

The Tubliss system with rimlock is 1.5 lbs. My Heavy Duty tube with Talon rimlock is 3.5 lbs. I netted a 2 lb savings in unsprung weight.

Mounting a tire with the Tubliss system is soooo much easier. No more jammed knuckles working the tube into location. The Tubliss allows me to run very low air pressure without concern of pinch flat.

I have ridden the Metzeler/Tubliss for 507 miles on my ’06 EC300. I ran pressure down as low as 4 psi. I found 5 psi to be the sweet spot for traction and higher speed control. At 4 psi it had occasional behavior similar to a flat tire. For comparison, I had the Mitas ET-01 trials tire on my ’01 XC300 normally at 6.5 psi with a HD tube.

The most difficult conditions where I ride are mostly greasy, wet clay and occasional snow/ice. On the greasy clay the Metzeler/Tubliss at 5 psi is very comparable to the Mitas at 6.5 psi. On glare ice, they both have difficulty hooking up. In deeper snow, the Metzeler has a clear advantage. In loose rock the Metzeler has a clear advantage. It pulls harder and straighter. On solid, exposed rock the Mitas a slight advantage. Cornering clearly goes to the Metzeler. It is more stable and predictable in hard, leaned over cornering.

The Metzeler is holding up very well, no torn knobs, flats or slow leaks. I expect the 5 psi inflation provides a larger footprint distributing the tire load over more knobs, contributing to longevity. At the rate it is going, I could probably get about 1000 miles out of the tire.

I am definitely sold on the Tubliss and the Metzeler Unicross.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Great writeup and review......and I totally agree.

I ran the MT16 (well worn to boot) at 6-7psi with the TuBliss system with TrueGoo tire sealant and it's been great. I really see no reason to go back to a trials tire with this setups performance capabilities unless it's really dry with lots of hard rocks.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the report. I have wanted to try that very combination. I always like the Metz Moto/UniX tires. 20 yrs ago we would air them down for gnarly terrain, but get flats because they had such soft sidewalls.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have found similar results. I'm running the Dunlop MX 31, and feel it's superior to the trials tire in every way. We have a local private riding spot where the owner as much as requires a trials tire. I've explained to him the benefits of the Tubliss but he wants nothing of it, so I bought a trials tire to keep him happy. I have not tried it yet with the Tubliss, but I'll try to post a report once I do. I went ahead and got the tubeless specific trials tire. Planning to run 4-6 psi and just see how it does. Who knows, it may be even better?

One thing about the trials tire though, if the ground is loose and sloppy, forget it. Our greased glass red clay provides nothing for the soft, close knobs to cling to, so a trials tire at my favorite riding spot pretty much sucks. I'm anxious to give it a shot again though.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 AM

From my experience, you are correct if the bottom is soft. If there is hard rock or roots under the mud, that the tire can stick to, it works fine.

I can see the tubliss system being more versitlie or in situations like events where your not sure of conditions or conditions are inconsistant. For example an enduro or technical trail ride that includes some flat fast stuff or a grass track, like the events in Hancock. We always run trials tires as they are a definate advantage on the long rocky climbs, but guarranteed to put one of us down on the grass tracks.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Unicross / Tubless

Hi Eric k

I read your post on the unicross/tubliss did you have any problems long term with this setup and how many miles did you get out of the unicross before you replaced the tire? I have a unicross with a tube on the back of my 05 DE300 and I am very happy with the performance, on two trips to Colorado I think it performed better than any other tire that I have used. Have you also used the unicross on the front and if so were you happy with the performance?

Thank You

Bill Wesson (UB777)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 PM

I always use Metzelers. I am going to buy a set unicrosses next time. I just mounted up new set of Metzeler Six Days with Tubliss front and rear. They seem to be fine and I will post updates after I get some time on them.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Ok this will be my next test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTGjk...%3DYTGjkAyWXHs
Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
seems this guy also rides a GG - you on the forum?
Old 08-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Thats really interesting, I didn't think the tire contact patch would increase that much!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar