Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Default spring affects on turning.....

would having two different springs in my forks have adverse affects on function and turning? it seems i have a much heavier spring in on fork than the other, and i dont notice it while going slow, but when going faster (fourth-fifth gear on fire road) it seems like the bike is unwilling to turn, and has put me in the ditch on multiple occasions (nothing broken or injured except my ego for the guys behind me..) the bike is set up for 180lbs aggressive rider, whereas im a 165 novice trail rider, so i dont know if that has anything to do with it, but it just doesnt feel right sometimes, like it doesnt want to turn for me.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
would having two different springs in my forks have adverse affects on function and turning? it seems i have a much heavier spring in on fork than the other, and i dont notice it while going slow, but when going faster (fourth-fifth gear on fire road) it seems like the bike is unwilling to turn, and has put me in the ditch on multiple occasions (nothing broken or injured except my ego for the guys behind me..) the bike is set up for 180lbs aggressive rider, whereas im a 165 novice trail rider, so i dont know if that has anything to do with it, but it just doesnt feel right sometimes, like it doesnt want to turn for me.
You would think it so, however, KYB's new S.F.F.(fork) only has one large spring in one fork leg.
Cannondale's "Lefty"only has one fork leg all together and some forks have rebound in one leg and compression in the other.
So, with out knowing more it's hard to say in your situation.
Best way to test would be to put both stock springs back in the forks and re-test the same ride conditions to see if there's a noticeable difference.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:43 AM

Sounds like the heavy spring only(it would be putting some preload on the smaller spring only) is working at the top of the stroke while slow riding & the second spring coming into play as well, as you hit corners harder.This would cause the stroke to stiffen up rapidly & hold it up too high in the corner.Just my theory,what you guys reckon?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:01 PM

I have a Husky that I run two different springs in and it works well for me. Stock springs were too soft and the next step up stiffer was too harsh. So I split the difference and it's good.

Sounds to me your biggest issue is the front end is set up too firm for you. The original owner weighed more and was more aggressive. If you have he other soft spring, I would put it back in and see how things are.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Remember to set the rear up for your weight as well - it's vitally important for the front and back to work in harmony. What seems like a front end problem can often be caused by rear end set up.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:42 PM

springs were in when i bought her. from talking to les at ltr my rear spring (5.2) is a touch on the heavy side but should work, my sag numbers come out to 90ish race sag and 40ish static sag (i had it at 105 and 50, but it turned like junk and stiffening it up helped with handling significantly.) so i know the rear spring isnt ideal, but then again neither is the front. would softening up the compression and rebound help perhaps? mind you it works just fine going slow, its just at higher speeds, it feels like it doesnt want to take to a turn, no matter how hard i try to lean and turn the bars it just doesnt seem to want to turn.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM

Have you played around with lifting your forks through triple clamps?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
springs were in when i bought her. from talking to les at ltr my rear spring (5.2) is a touch on the heavy side but should work, my sag numbers come out to 90ish race sag and 40ish static sag (i had it at 105 and 50, but it turned like junk and stiffening it up helped with handling significantly.) so i know the rear spring isnt ideal, but then again neither is the front. would softening up the compression and rebound help perhaps? mind you it works just fine going slow, its just at higher speeds, it feels like it doesnt want to take to a turn, no matter how hard i try to lean and turn the bars it just doesnt seem to want to turn.
hey dank.. i have a spare 4.8 spring if that is what les thinks you need...
too light for my lard a***
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM

les said a 5.0 in the back and a pair of 4.0s in the front would work very well. forks are lifted 5mm in the forks, i cant go higher because my clickers will hit my bars. some day in the far away future i am going to send my forks and shock to les and have him do the works on them, but until then ill probably just re-spring when i find the money and work with that.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
les said a 5.0 in the back and a pair of 4.0s in the front would work very well. forks are lifted 5mm in the forks, i cant go higher because my clickers will hit my bars. some day in the far away future i am going to send my forks and shock to les and have him do the works on them, but until then ill probably just re-spring when i find the money and work with that.
my clickers are right on my bars too... if you change your mind, let me know.
it is not too hard to change out...
jay