Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default Opinion of Changes to US GG line for 2012

I know I'm taking the risk of starting a thread here that could run 50 pages!
For this thread, please don't get bogged down in the details. I want to limit it to the broader model range topic.

For 2011, we have four 250 2T models and five 300 2T models. Of course, the Nambotin is unique and not really pertinent to this discussion.
I am thinking of the following models for the US :
Keep the standard 250/300 with kick start and 45mm Marzocchi fork/Ohlins shock. Price would stay about the same...$7599/7699.
Keep the 250/300 e start with 45mm Marzocchi fork and Ohlins shock. Price would stay the same...$7899/7999
Combine the Six Day (6D) and Race models into one model with the 48mm Marzocchi and Ohlins shock. This bike would be called the Race model and have the components that both models have now. The rad braces, skid plate, Galfer rotors, brake cooler, etc from the 6D and the Race kit from the Race model. This unit would prolly be $1000 higher than the standard model..... $8599/8699.

For 2011, we have a 6D and Race 125 and 200. This combination model means we would only have one of each.

All of this is contingent on the factory being able to deliver this model early (August/September of 2011) and not later like the Race model this year.

What do you think?
Clay

Old 12-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Site Sponsor

i see no reason to have more than this:
e-start bike
non e-start bike
48mm fork bike with all the good stuff
nambotin

so you have a base model, a e-start base model, and full blown race setup and a bling bike (nambo)

3 models per size (125 and 200 could be just 2 models..) or even just a race model...

i never figured out why gg had so many similar models sold under different names. i would think there's only 2 kinds of customers buying. those that race and those that trail ride. you really only need a trail setup and a race setup. the trail bike could easily be blinged out to race setup. the only big difference would be the front end. i would think that the majority of the base model purchaser would put all the armor stuff on anyways....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
i see no reason to have more than this:
e-start bike
non e-start bike
48mm fork bike with all the good stuff
nambotin

so you have a base model, a e-start base model, and full blown race setup and a bling bike (nambo)

3 models per size (125 and 200 could be just 2 models..) or even just a race model...

i never figured out why gg had so many similar models sold under different names. i would think there's only 2 kinds of customers buying. those that race and those that trail ride. you really only need a trail setup and a race setup. the trail bike could easily be blinged out to race setup. the only big difference would be the front end. i would think that the majority of the base model purchaser would put all the armor stuff on anyways....
Stainless,
The 6D models are bigger with the European customers than they are here. Currently, a big percentage of our sales are 6D models but that is because I priced it too close to the standard model (didn't know it had all of the bling when I priced it). If the 6D went away but the cool bling was added to the 'new' Race model, then the guys currently buying the 6D would buy the Race. Is that what you are saying, too?
Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 PM

I agree that there are way too many models in the GG lineup.

I would go with the following for 2012.

125 - Wouldnt bother importing it unless it is a 150.
200 - Std only as most guys who are buying them are just trail riding and it helps hit a nice price point as an entry level bike.
250/300 Std
250/300 ES
250/300 SixDays - An accesorized std model like the current 6 Days with closed cartridge forks and stiffer valving.

Lose the current Race edition for 2012. No need for both 6 Days and Race. If GG cant build the Race any earlier than Jan/Feb than dont bother at all with it. You lose too many buyers by not having bikes available in the fall.

Nambotin or Cervantes Special Edition - Completely blinged out with TTX suspension, race ignition etc..Very limited #s and priced accordingly. Build it in the current Race bike production schedule so dealers can have them for the spring.

I guess the next question is what is the future of the 250/450Fs? An EC300F based on the Yamaha motor with an Athena kit from the factory would be a pretty cool bike. Unfortunately, I think it would be priced out of the budget for most riders. Personally, I think that everyone is jumping off the big 4 stroke bandwagon and that concentrating on 2Ts is the safest plan.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Clay, your plan sounds pretty good to me.

I do have one suggestion though. If you could get GasGas to make a 200 with the esart standard instead of having to order it seperately I think you could sell quite a few. I think it would be a big hit with women riders as well as some older guy's.

My wife currently rides a KTM 200 and loves it except she wishes she had the estart. If you brought in a estart 200 I am sure she would have to have one. The fact that the GG is also a smaller feeling and lower bike helps as well. I ride with some older guys who also love their 200's and have considered a GG200 but would really like the estart.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:06 PM

Very tricky call on this... and I reserve my right to change my mind

I do like the fact that at least as of right now GG offers you the choice of the estart or kick models where KTM forces you to have the estart.

First for more market acceptance (read to pull in more buyers) I would like to see 48mm forks across the board and perhaps 50mm on the Nambotin. Beta has 50mm Zokes on their 2011 bikes across the board. Yeah, 45's work fine but I believe perspective buyers coming from other brands want to see 48's. Then there is the CC vs. OC debate

Ohlins shock....can't go wrong there in almost anyones mind.

The problem with the race models currently is they are way to stiff even for a top level racer it seems. I can't recall one person/review that liked the OEM settings from GG.

I say dump the race model or have Les at LTR give GG some real world setting that will actually work without rattling fillings out. Guys REALLY like that Six Day model and I would be tempted to leave the suspension in the more basic real world settings with all the nice extra features it has and upcharge it accordingly.

So what the heck am I saying? Jeez I'm not really sure and I have no clue what dealers are ordering to compare....

Base 125, 200, 250, 300

Base with Estart 250, 300

Six Day with base suspension but up charge for std. features..125, 200, 250, 300

Race with?? Stiffer CC forks and shock settings, cylinder head options, lighter ignition and limited bling...250 and 300 only. Don't think you need a race 125 or 200 as it's a tiny nitch market.

Nambotin...all the good stuff and bling. TTX forks or Zoke CC50mm, TTX shock and a sick paint/graphics treatment.

Now all this is well and good but what is GG doing about keeping the 2 stroke market from blowing up in our (their) face? I see allot of eggs in one basket here and this really worries me. Plenty of guys are still getting these bikes registered for trail use and the noose is tightening every year. We all know none of these bikes approach even close to being legal so does GG have a plan to address this?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

Lose the current Race edition for 2012. No need for both 6 Days and Race. If GG cant build the Race any earlier than Jan/Feb than dont bother at all with it. You lose too many buyers by not having bikes available in the fall.

Scotty,
After saying on one of the other posts that you were right, again, I have to bust on you for this one. Did you not read what I said? I'll copy/paste for you below:

All of this is contingent on the factory being able to deliver this model early (August/September of 2011) and not later like the Race model this year.

Sometimes you're a goober!

Your buddy,
Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
Clay, your plan sounds pretty good to me.

I do have one suggestion though. If you could get GasGas to make a 200 with the esart standard instead of having to order it seperately I think you could sell quite a few. I think it would be a big hit with women riders as well as some older guy's.

My wife currently rides a KTM 200 and loves it except she wishes she had the estart. If you brought in a estart 200 I am sure she would have to have one. The fact that the GG is also a smaller feeling and lower bike helps as well. I ride with some older guys who also love their 200's and have considered a GG200 but would really like the estart.
Jeff,
Good idea. Should it be a Race version or a standard?
Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Skidad,
I didn't mention this but I plan to give the factory some reccommended valving specs and ask for stiffer springs for fat assed Amewricans like me.

BTW....I am pretty much opposed to the 50mm Zoke. I think it is waaaay too stiff for the average rider.

I understand that all of the Euro companies are working with direct injection. I have hopes that we may one day have a EPA compliant two stroke although, getting them approved by the EPA is very expensive.

Clay
Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
200 - Std only as most guys who are buying them are just trail riding and it helps hit a nice price point as an entry level bike.
really? afaik there's a 200cc class in most every enduro/harescramble across the country. it is an excellent trail bike, but with a litte tuning, it makes an excellent race bike - perfect gearing and power for tight woods, and it doesn't feel toy like the ktm200 does.. and it's the only 200 2t out there aside from the ktm..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com