Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 AM

Default Engine overheating and smoking a lot ?

It only happens for the first half of the day/ride, the engine is overheating and on some difficult hill climbs it smokes a lot. The smoke has a strange smell to it, gray in color (it's definitely not the pre-mix, i'm sure of that).

Does not loose gear box oil or cooling fluid, at least not noticeable after a few rides (aprox. 7-10 engine ours).

It's getting worse and worse after each ride, this last ride we did the clutch started to squeak and it never did that (i did not change the gear box oil, so it doesn't have anything to do with it i suppose).

The PV will not open if the engine is not hot, it's strange because it used to open any time, now it only opens after 10-15 minutes of riding time (i always warm the engine 5 minutes before a ride). Before that it makes strange noises, like a box of nails or smth. This issue might not be related to the overheating tough.

It all started when once, i forgot to remove the exhaust plug while warming the engine for a ride, so the engine had run with the plug in for 30s/1minute before i realized what happened.

Maybe it's a gasket/seal somewhere that broke while running the engine with the exhaust plug in ? Witch one would it be ? Where do i look for wear and tear ?

p.s. it never happens after the "lunch break", we usually stop half way on a ride to eat and it never has the described symptoms after that

Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

What makes you think it is overheating?

What makes you think the powervalve isn't opening? Seat of pants, or have you physically confirmed?

It all sounds very odd. I would do the following based off what you've said.

Drop crank case drain plug. Make sure you don't have excessive 2T in the cases.
Replace the plug.
Physically check RHS engine (powervalve actuation/governor/clutch assembly).
Check stator side seal.
Change transmission fluid to fresh oil.

None should set you back too much in time or dollars.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I wonder if the primary side crank seal is going bad?? it could be sucking in a little transmission lube.

Also, pull the PV chamber on the left side of cyl and make sure it's not clogged with unburnt 2 stroke oil.

RB
Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 AM

Im surprised it ran with the exhaust plug in at all!..it really shouldnt
Do you wash bike between every ride?
Or ride deeper water
Maybe your gettin water in the system via airbox?check filter is fitted right with fingertips
Have you thrown away or at least opened up the rubber duckbill drain on your airbox?otherwise everytime you wash you half fill the airbox and will not drain.
Water in the exhaust pipe?
Esp if you use pressure washer.
In light of the fact it ran with exhaust plug in id check your pipe/can joint.could also let water inside pipe when washing
Otherwise suspect small coolant leak.check headbolt torque
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
What makes you think it is overheating?

What makes you think the powervalve isn't opening? Seat of pants, or have you physically confirmed?

It all sounds very odd. I would do the following based off what you've said.

Drop crank case drain plug. Make sure you don't have excessive 2T in the cases.
Replace the plug.
Physically check RHS engine (powervalve actuation/governor/clutch assembly).
Check stator side seal.
Change transmission fluid to fresh oil.

None should set you back too much in time or dollars.
It revs very bad from the point where the PV should open and clean "on the pipe" sound should be heard. It sounds like a box of nails, and doesn't rev too much beyond that point. Didn't physically check but will do and come back with the result.

The plug was replaced 17-18 engine hours ago, i'll change the oil and see if i find anything bad down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
I wonder if the primary side crank seal is going bad?? it could be sucking in a little transmission lube.

Also, pull the PV chamber on the left side of cyl and make sure it's not clogged with unburnt 2 stroke oil.

RB
What seal are we talking about ? I don't understand much from the term as i don't have too much experience with engines and terms. If i see it on the parts breakdown i'll understand it's role and will be able to investigate further.
Is it numbers 4 and 9 on this image ? Witch would mean i have to split the cases to change them right ?

I'll take down the right side and left side PV covers, and clean it all up. See if it makes any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
Im surprised it ran with the exhaust plug in at all!..it really shouldnt

Do you wash bike between every ride?
Or ride deeper water
Maybe your gettin water in the system via airbox?check filter is fitted right with fingertips
Have you thrown away or at least opened up the rubber duckbill drain on your airbox?otherwise everytime you wash you half fill the airbox and will not drain.
Water in the exhaust pipe?
Esp if you use pressure washer.
In light of the fact it ran with exhaust plug in id check your pipe/can joint.could also let water inside pipe when washing

Otherwise suspect small coolant leak.check head bolt torque
It ran very very bad with the plug in, but it did ran. I started to look immediately and that's when i have found the plug in.

I wash the bike with the power jet maybe once 3 rides and always start it up and get it up to temp after the wash to make sure any water that gets inside will be evacuated. Pipe seals are new, 17-18 engine hours but i'll check them and all the joints.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 AM

Water pooling in the airbox wont dry by running the engine after a wash.the rubber drain/plug blocks very easily and water will just sit in there around your airfilter
White/grey smoke usually means water vapor
Old 05-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Water pooling in the airbox wont dry by running the engine after a wash.the rubber drain/plug blocks very easily and water will just sit in there around your airfilter
Oh, the drain there in the air box is not clogged. I check it when i clean and spray the air filter witch is before every ride.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:13 AM

Ok.did you try jakobi's suggestion and drain crankcase?looks like oil drain plug but closer to front of bike.there should be almost nothing drain out but a few drips of slimy oil.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Ok.did you try jakobi's suggestion and drain crankcase?looks like oil drain plug but closer to front of bike.there should be almost nothing drain out but a few drips of slimy oil.
And that is with the oil already drained or not ? Will do it in a few hours when i get back home and report back. Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 10:07 AM

When you shut the motor off is the pipe smoking?
If so she's hot and running lean