Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Personally I like this diversity with 36 vs 38 carbs, standard vs racing suspension and pedal only vs electric starter. It give us opportunity to personalize the bike. Others brands do it only with stickers and bling accessories.

Brasil!

Old 06-09-2017, 02:42 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

a nice positive review

http://www.dirtrider.com/2018-gas-ga...A0MgS2#page-10
Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Very cool! And from KTMRider Magazine. Ooops. I mean Dirtrider Magazine even!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
All credibility of this mag goes out the window when they say the spring should be good for between 100lbs and 250lbs.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminhammer View Post
All credibility of this mag goes out the window when they say the spring should be good for between 100lbs and 250lbs.
HAHAHA!!! I don't disagree. That would be the most incredible rear shock ever. Or have some magical progressive spring rate.
Besides. You have to reset everything in the rear end after 10 hours anyways.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
What other 2018 Euro models are less?
I honestly don't mean to be a troll here, as I love GasGas and was sincerely hoping to be among the first to buy a 2018. Really. But, I am equally discouraged by the significant price increase (to $9300 USD), which Beta didn't do for their 2018s based on today's press release showing many upgrades/redesigns...

10.4 pounds lighter
All New clutch
New cylinder
Crankshaft
New connecting rod
New power valve timing
Elimination of the kick-start
New gear change system
New air filter box
Rounded piston and new cylinder head profile
New Chassis
Lithium battery
Air filter box and rear subframe
Fork with a new slider
New skid plate
New muffler heat shield
Takasago Excel rims

Available at Beta USA dealers beginning in August.

No Price Increase for 2018!

2018 MSRP:
250 RR $8499.00
300 RR $8499.00

Thus, 2018 GasGas bikes will be priced right between Beta and KTM/Husqvarna bikes. This would be fair if there were a year or two of history, reliability records, and positive peer/racer (not magazine) reviews of the 2018 GG bikes, then maybe I could justify spending more for a GG. I'm torn, as I'm on a strict budget and the $ I'd save by buying a different red brand would cover all the requisite armor/upgrades (skid plate, shark fin, handguards, rejetting, mousse, suspension tuning, etc). Hoping not to get flamed for this, but I am very much on the fence about what bike to buy in the next few months. Is everyone's general consensus that full KYB suspension is (by itself) worth an extra $800? Is the value there?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmanseth View Post
I honestly don't mean to be a troll here, as I love GasGas and was sincerely hoping to be among the first to buy a 2018. Really. But, I am equally discouraged by the significant price increase (to $9300 USD), which Beta didn't do for their 2018s based on today's press release showing many upgrades/redesigns...

10.4 pounds lighter
All New clutch
New cylinder
Crankshaft
New connecting rod
New power valve timing
Elimination of the kick-start
New gear change system
New air filter box
Rounded piston and new cylinder head profile
New Chassis
Lithium battery
Air filter box and rear subframe
Fork with a new slider
New skid plate
New muffler heat shield
Takasago Excel rims

Available at Beta USA dealers beginning in August.

No Price Increase for 2018!

2018 MSRP:
250 RR $8499.00
300 RR $8499.00

Thus, 2018 GasGas bikes will be priced right between Beta and KTM/Husqvarna bikes. This would be fair if there were a year or two of history, reliability records, and positive peer/racer (not magazine) reviews of the 2018 GG bikes, then maybe I could justify spending more for a GG. I'm torn, as I'm on a strict budget and the $ I'd save by buying a different red brand would cover all the requisite armor/upgrades (skid plate, shark fin, handguards, rejetting, mousse, suspension tuning, etc). Hoping not to get flamed for this, but I am very much on the fence about what bike to buy in the next few months. Is everyone's general consensus that full KYB suspension is (by itself) worth an extra $800? Is the value there?
Those are fair and great questions. Since I haven't ridden the '18 GG and '18 Beta back to back its really hard to answer without bias. But I'll try.

1st. From all my conversations and my own experience everyone I know who has ridden the older Beta's and Gassers back to back has preferred the gasser. Not to say Beta doesn't make a good bike. I've just always found that they don't handle as well. And being Italian they are known to have a lot of quirks with electrical issues. I see you own a Beta so I can't speak to your experience. Thats just what I've noticed talking with friends and local racers.

2nd. I recommend that you don't look at GasGas as a stand-alone entity. Look at them instead as Torrot/GasGas. Because that is who they are. While its true that GasGas has recently had struggles, Torrot is a solid company with a solid portfolio of success. I expect no less from them with GasGas. I'll be buying a gasser because of Torrot. Because all my research leads me to believe in Torrot.

3rd. Kickstarter. Say goodbye to holeshots in XC racing unless that thing just so happens to be bang on every single time. That along with having to drag my bike to the top of a hill every time I need to start it if my battery just so happens to fail in the bush would have me worried. I'd be ordering the optional kickstarter with it. Which really closes the gap on the price difference. Considering the kit retails for $400 on the XTrainer I'd imagine the price will be similar on the 300. Meaning the price difference is only $400. Not $800.

4th. KYB suspension is good. Like really good. Yamaha's SSS system has been drooled over for a long time by everyone. And with it being one of the most popular brands in offroad racing there are tuners everywhere with parts and know-how to get you dialed in.

5th. Lithium battery. They are great. And I will be running one on my gasser when I get around to putting the E-start back on. But the problem with them is that they don't like cold. Up here in the great white north I will need to be able to kickstart it before the battery will operate properly. Research Lithium battery's and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

I guess it comes down to who you believe in. I'm continually impressed with the passion that GasGas North America puts into the brand. Back that up with the passion of the factory and HQ in Spain and KYB suspension. I'll be spending the extra few $$ for a Gasser. Kickstarter included.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default my point

I think they're going to scare consumers away . When Gasser fans don't want to spend an extra $800 what's the GP gonna think. Buy an oft maligned bike with spotty history for more than the proven competition? I am still not sure what I'm going to buy this summer . It should've and could've been a slam dunk easy $8500 decision but now it requires some though on my part . That $800 extra buys the armor and tires a new bike needs. Also I've read the gasser isn't getting the SSS fork ???? Is that legal mumbo jumbo or is it getting a lesser fork?
I am on the fence and I shouldn't be.
Stoby
Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Default 18's sure look to have the right parts.

SSS is Yamaha branded valving. Its no different than what is available through kyb. Tuner can easily duplicate.

Its nothing more than a fantastic marketing job by yamaha.

And speaking of on the fence my best friend in NY is a beta dealer and I can get a great deal, and I'm still considering GG. Although I'm not ready to buy yet so its mute at this point. I keep pushing him to be a GG dealer

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornDutchman View Post
Those are fair and great questions. Since I haven't ridden the '18 GG and '18 Beta back to back its really hard to answer without bias. But I'll try.

1st. From all my conversations and my own experience everyone I know who has ridden the older Beta's and Gassers back to back has preferred the gasser. Not to say Beta doesn't make a good bike. I've just always found that they don't handle as well. And being Italian they are known to have a lot of quirks with electrical issues. I see you own a Beta so I can't speak to your experience. Thats just what I've noticed talking with friends and local racers.

2nd. I recommend that you don't look at GasGas as a stand-alone entity. Look at them instead as Torrot/GasGas. Because that is who they are. While its true that GasGas has recently had struggles, Torrot is a solid company with a solid portfolio of success. I expect no less from them with GasGas. I'll be buying a gasser because of Torrot. Because all my research leads me to believe in Torrot.

3rd. Kickstarter. Say goodbye to holeshots in XC racing unless that thing just so happens to be bang on every single time. That along with having to drag my bike to the top of a hill every time I need to start it if my battery just so happens to fail in the bush would have me worried. I'd be ordering the optional kickstarter with it. Which really closes the gap on the price difference. Considering the kit retails for $400 on the XTrainer I'd imagine the price will be similar on the 300. Meaning the price difference is only $400. Not $800.

4th. KYB suspension is good. Like really good. Yamaha's SSS system has been drooled over for a long time by everyone. And with it being one of the most popular brands in offroad racing there are tuners everywhere with parts and know-how to get you dialed in.

5th. Lithium battery. They are great. And I will be running one on my gasser when I get around to putting the E-start back on. But the problem with them is that they don't like cold. Up here in the great white north I will need to be able to kickstart it before the battery will operate properly. Research Lithium battery's and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

I guess it comes down to who you believe in. I'm continually impressed with the passion that GasGas North America puts into the brand. Back that up with the passion of the factory and HQ in Spain and KYB suspension. I'll be spending the extra few $$ for a Gasser. Kickstarter included.
Holeshots you say. As much as I love having a kicker on my Beta I never once used it at a XC. If you need a better start than this I don't know what to tell you. The KYB shock is no better than the Sachs and I have lots of both apart. The KYB forks are no question going to be better out of the box than the Sachs.
If you are into knowing a company before you buy, I think the history of Beta will surprise you. I have an 11 Gasser also and it's a great bike but not better than the Beta. The 18 looks great and I'm sure it's going to be excellent but it has to stack up against some pretty good competition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11258033_10152685979786486_7791231174962947916_n.jpg (128.1 KB, 36 views)