Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:31 AM

Default First 2-stroke. Now to jetting!

Hi All, I've owned a Yamaha wr250f 4-stroke for 5 years.
Have recently bought my first ever 2-stroke, a 2007 EC200.

The bike came with an oversized tank so I assumed the jetting was a bit rich otherwise why would you put the big tank on, unless you're doing mammoth rides.

The jetting currently in the bike is:

Slide: 6
Idle Jet: 50
Main Jet: 178
Needle: NBHW
Clip: 2
Air Screw: 1

From the reading through some of the posts on here, the 50 pilot jet is probably far too rich.

I am also thinking the Air-Screw may need to be wound out half a turn as only 1 turn out is a richer mix, right?

It had a fair amount of spooge coming out the exhaust port as it needs new exhaust o-rings.

Previous owner was using Penrite Semi-Syn oil at 50:1.

Altitude around here is about 450mtr above sea level.
Riding temp ranges from 10C to 28C.

Considering this is my first ever 2-stroke, is the rest of the 'tuning' done by how it feels at each particular throttle%?
Will it be bit hard to determine since it's my first 2-stroke or is it easy-ish to just listen to the way the motor sounds to tell that it's off?

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I remember going through all of this when I bought my first 2T.

Yeah nah yeah!

Not as many 200's in circulation so may find it a bit harder to get a baseline.

Rich is easy.. Really lean is easy. The closer you move to ideal the harder it gets to find just right, and shifts based on temps and engine loads etc.

Simple method is get it rich enough that it blubbers and then lean it off until it doesn't anymore. Want to feel blubber? Make it rich or pull the choke on.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Well, after the first ride I came to the conclusion that the 50pilot is very rich.

Felt very blubbery down low and once I opened throttle more it cleaned right up and felt good through to main.

Does a rich pilot also make it hard to start? It was starting first kick after warmed up but the first start of the day was a lot of kicks.

Bought a 48 and a 45pilot to try out.

Might stay with this stock needle and 178main for now and see how it feels after the pilot change.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmygod View Post
Well, after the first ride I came to the conclusion that the 50pilot is very rich.

Felt very blubbery down low and once I opened throttle more it cleaned right up and felt good through to main.

Does a rich pilot also make it hard to start? It was starting first kick after warmed up but the first start of the day was a lot of kicks.

Might stay with this stock needle and 178main for now and see how it feels after the pilot change.
Generally back the other way.

A cold engine likes more fuel (choke).
A hot engine likes it leaner (hot start bypass on 4T, or an open throttle on the 2T).

But.. don't base it off starting. Work off response. If she's wet blubbery and won't pull clean until onto the needle she'll be rich.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmygod View Post

My '19 is the opposite, sucker is fat up top and killed a plug after a few hours. After reading another thread I bought a 175 main, 42 pilot and an NECW needle only to find that the bike came standard with the 175/42 combo. I've changed the needle and will see what affect it has, if it's still fat I'll raise the clip a groove........after that it might be time to go down to a 172.5 main.