Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Re-valving the stock KYBs

I am wondering how much of a difference it will make to revalge the kyb suspension on a 2018 300. Everyone talks about how great the KYBs are right out of the box so would getting a professional re valve make much of an improvement? I am a fast B racer in XC races but I also like to do a lot of single track/hard enduro riding...I haven?t raced any of these types of events yet but want to in the future. I have an EVO and racetech guy near me who are both very reputable and I can get the EVO at a pretty big discount. Would it be worth it at my level and type of riding?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Have you sprung the bike for your weight and set the sag?
Old 05-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Yes I have
Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

It will make as big a difference as the tuner tunes!!

Given that you have already sprung the bike to suit your weight I'll assume you've also put some seat time in.

What does it do that you don't like? Have you adjusted any of the variables at your disposal? ride height, preload, clickers, etc. Did you see any improvement?

Have you owned another bike which you felt handled better? If so, how?

The point I'm making is that if you go to a tuner and ask for a revalve, then my guess is as good as yours if it will be better or worse. If you go to a tuner with some information they could probably improve certain behaviours.

In saying that, I've revalved all my own suspension over the years and been a bit fussy in that process as well. Not too many people have felt the need to revalve these (myself included) which to me indicates they are pretty good stock.. not to say they couldn't be improved a bit more.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Honestly the stock suspension feels great for the most part and the bike handles well. It still feels a bit soft when blitzing whoops in XC races and a bit stiff on some of the more technical slow stuff. I am trying to find a happy
Medium for both styles of riding I do which I think I am pretty close, but was wondering if getting an after market revalve would improve this happy medium for both styles of riding.

I have never had suspension work done on any bike besides new springs
Old 05-25-2019, 10:42 AM

I’m really surprised that you say it feels soft. Nearly everyone that rides these bikes has them softened up. At 260lbs and a B rider myself, I feel the stock suspension is nearly spot on. I did however got to a lighter ICS spring which softens up the initial stroke but maintains the firm midstroke and excellent bottoming resistance. I’m wondering, what weight are you and what springs did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
Honestly the stock suspension feels great for the most part and the bike handles well. It still feels a bit soft when blitzing whoops in XC races and a bit stiff on some of the more technical slow stuff. I am trying to find a happy
Medium for both styles of riding I do which I think I am pretty close, but was wondering if getting an after market revalve would improve this happy medium for both styles of riding.

I have never had suspension work done on any bike besides new springs
I think most tuners would easily be able to help you with one issue or the other.. but you'll get stuck trying to find any suspension that works across such a big scope. There'll always be some compromise. Think about the difference in force and suspension component velocity between rolling over rocks at walking pace and slamming into the face of a whoop at speed.

What's your current setup? Spring rates, sag figures, fork height in the tubes. Clicker settings etc.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 AM

Which softer ics springs did you use? I'm very happy with the suspension overall but it could soak up the rocks and roots a bit better.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
I did however got to a lighter ICS spring
Do you have info on what the stock ICS rates are? What did you end up moving to? In the previous set I had fitted to the 13 model I used the stock 22Nm springs..
Old 05-26-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Do you have info on what the stock ICS rates are? What did you end up moving to? In the previous set I had fitted to the 13 model I used the stock 22Nm springs..

Stock is 1.8 I dropped all the way to 1.0 and they worked well but I was experiencing what I believe is cavitation. I was having extreme air pressure build up during rides. Went to a 1.4 rate and the cavitation issues went away and the initial stroke is still pretty good.

My friends that are much lighter riders than me all have the 1.0 ICS springs and have no issues. I’m 260lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk