Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Yep, thats it. See if your acct matches with the measurements I gave, and then order one of them. There are two to choose from at TT store. If U have any questions on my measurements U can pm me. If it doesn't match with the Drz then U can use the one Inabil has. It will be good to know if the '03 and '04 models will benifit from this simple fix.

'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Old 10-15-2006, 11:38 AM

Default How'd you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INABIL View Post
A guy on ThumperTalk had a thread on how his mechanic made one up for him, I think his name was Mike Stone. He added the guys name and phone # (from Conn.) so I called and ordered one and had it in a week. I also ordered a longer '05 kick lever too cause I broke the starter clutch on my bike. I will be installing today and will post back on if it and the longer kick lever make it able to kick start my bike.
Also I will look for the receipt and post the phone # of the guy who sells them. They are professional looking and cost around $75.00.

Just wondering how you made out with your install. I read that article from M.Stone and it looks interesting. That info on those parts are: Ray Mancini at Xtreme Motorsports in Danbury, CT., # 203-778-0713 and you should ask for a "Hayabusa manually adjustable camchain tensioner modifer with a 3/8" nub for a Gas Gas like Mike Stone's" and he will know what your talking about. I am about to purchase an '03 FSE 450 and am looking into any issues with this bike. This one looks like a main topic from most fse owners and I appriciate any input. Thanks - Rob.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Rappa for the info. Although I have an '05, one of my riding buddies has an '03 and an '04. His '03 has been hard to start at first start up, but seems ok after warm. Also he says he is gonna have his '03 valves checked because his '04 has more power. But the '04 gets worse gas mileage. These bikes might need a remap or different silencer? "04 has a FMF Q and his '03 looks like a Euro with a Promoto Billet spark arrestor end cap? Otherwise both bikes perform outstanding. Hopefully the mcct will solve the starting problems on the older bikes.
Almost forgot. He wants me to find out about a bolt on mapping unit called Power Commander. I guess Harleys use same unit and it is a way to get around buying the very expensive shop mapping equipment. Let U know what I find out.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Default MCCT is a gogo for the gasgas

Just wanted to let all know that I did order the MCCT, manual cam chain tensioner, from Mike Stone and received it in two days later at a discounted price. Very easy to install and it has been a pleasure to start my bike, '03 FSE450, ever since. I used to hate going somewhere on the bike and wonder if I would have to jump start it every time. Well no more. Starts every time, but you still need to do the gasgas tricks to make sure it does. If anyone has any questions, just ask. I recomend this to all who own the later model gasgas's.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 PM

I just noticed this thread which refers to my post on Thumpertalk.com, so I am going to reprint that post here. Rappa was a bit unclear in that I (Mike Stone) am not selling the manual cam chain adjusters, I am just referring FSE owners to Ray at Xtreme Motorsports because he knows what to do.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GasGas starting: I figured out why 03/04 FSEs turn over slowly

I have an early '03 FSE 400 which I bought new, and have now ridden for 275 hours. As other '03/04 FSE owners have found, the starter motors turn over the engines on these bikes very slowly. The starter system was changed in '05 and this has not been an issue on the 05/06 FSE.

Over the years, I have tried many different things to improve starter motor speed including replacing the starter, upgrading the battery, installing the updated exhaust cam/automatic compression release system, and using the new Mobil 1 0-40 wt motor oil. None of these changes have had a significant effect.

I have recently found the most successful modification to improve starter motor speed. I would estimate starter motor speed is about 30% faster after this mod.

I have long noticed, when adjusting the valves, etc, that the cam chain on my FSE is very tight. Pressing on it with my thumb as hard as I can, there is no deflection, it is like a solid plate of steel. This tension is controlled by the automatic cam chain tensioner which bolts to the back of the cylinder and uses a spring mechanism/plunger to press on the chain guide, which in turn presses up against the chain to keep it tight. The plunger must be reset each time the tensioner or a camshaft is removed, by retracting the plunger with a small screwdriver behind the bolt that threads into the external end of the tensioner.

Recently my automatic cam chain tensioner went bad, this has been a common affliction with DRZs and other model Suzukis which use a similar device. The Suzuki Hayabusa uses the same mounting pattern tensioner. My machinist, Ray Mancini, is an advocate of manually adjustable camchain adjusters on these bikes, probably because he does a lot of Hayabusa dragbike work, and the camchain deals with some ugly forces when a nitro-burning 'busa has its clutch dumped and then hooks up.

Ray welded a 3/8" long nub to the end of a Hayabusa manually adjustable camchain adjuster (to give it enough reach for the GasGas, and he said he has to do it on Hayabusas sometimes too), and I installed it in the FSE. To check the tension, the valve cover and upper chain guide (the one that bolts to the cam towers) must be off. I set it up quite tight, but with a touch of deflection if I press down on the chain hard.

I rode the bike five hours and then rechecked the tension. Today I rode the bike another three hours and it is starting great and I am very happy.

Obviously using a manually adjustable cam chain tensioner requires that the operator/mechanic monitor cam tension. My experience has been that when the chain gets loose, one will easily hear some chattering/rattling from the engine. The procedure requires removing the gas tank and valve cover but is not hard, and can be combined with a check of the valve clearance.

To my knowledge this modification is not authorized or recommended by GasGas. Only a fool would blindly accept what some doof has written on the 'net over what the manufacturer recommends. So use your own discretion. This mod probably only applies to bikes which are no longer under warrantee, unless someone has recently bought a leftover.

FSEers can call Ray Mancini (Xtreme Motorsports in Danbury CT) at (203)778-0713 and ask for a Hayabusa manually adjustable camchain tensioner modified with a 3/8" nub for a GasGas like Mike Stone's, and he will know what you are talking about.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 PM

(I just noticed this thread which refers to my post on Thumpertalk.com, so I am going to reprint that post here. Rappa was a bit unclear in that I (Mike Stone) am not selling the manual cam chain adjusters, I am just referring FSE owners to Ray at Xtreme Motorsports because he knows what to do.)

Sorry Mike, I was just was refering to the previous post I made on how I read that post that you left in Thumpertalk. You'll see this a couple of posts before this one. All is good.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:35 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I made two copies of the excellent info. I let my friend with the '03 and '04 fse's know asap. Slowly but surely gasgasrider.org is compiling good info on the FSE's. Thanks to everyone here!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1