Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 AM

Default Puller for kickstarter knuckle

Guys, help me out here. Since '00 and my first GG, I've been using a very old, modified gear puller to pull the kickstarter knuckle off the shaft. It worked OK as long as things were kept clean and antiseized. Well, my starter is just worn out and I broke the old tool trying to pull it off. What puller do any of you use to pull the starter? If I know I can order one without making a mistake. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Site Sponsor

Hello Glenn,

Long time, hope you and the family are doing well.

I use a normal 2 arm center pull gear puller, probably like the one you have used before. If you are using one enough to justify the cost, you might look into a puller kit. Mine is made by Snap-on but I am sure there are alternatives out there like Craftsman etc.

Having a kit is nice, they are reversible (inside to outside, slide hammer to center shaft pull) and have many configurations (2 arm, 3 arm, single arm) that include extra or different (thinner or thicker, long or short) arms. It also allows you to modify the arms for a specific type of application.

Don't rule out a little vibration to the knuckle or removable part, most times this is enough to loosen the grip of a siezed component. If you are very careful and use some skill, a small air hammer in the right spot will instantly free a stuck component. Good luck!

www.lt-racing.com
Port Orchard, WA USA
Old 07-27-2006, 07:39 AM

Thanks Les. I've been real busy, moved my office in work, and at this time have no phone due to a screw up.

I just got one from our industrial supplier for $28 and it looks to fit perfect. Two sided jaws, one side wider and flatter that gets a good bite. Similar size to my old one but better, made in USA.

Since my Pampera starter is worn out, I figured I'd go to the local Yamaha dealer and pick up a YZ starter. How about $168!! The brand new stocker will go back on or I'll steal the one off the wife's Pampera for Sunday's enduro.

Everyone, if you ever hear the BS that Euro bike parts are expensive and thats why they ride a Jap bike, set them straight.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hey Glenn,
$168? I think your friendly yamaha parts guy might have looked up the "kick shaft assy" instead of the "kick crank assy". I looked at a couple of on-line parts fiches and the cost is around $120 retail.

I can check with the local yamaha store here for you if you'd like - they have had them in stock before. And I used to ride with the parts guy.

jeff
Old 07-28-2006, 06:20 AM

Jeff,

Thanks. I need something quick for this weekend's enduro. The puller I got works perfectly, it was literally a 1 minute job. I'll post a photo and part # next week. Once I put the OEM starter back on, I found that with the lowboy Fastway pegs, it misses the peg and contacts the clutch cover, not good. I seem to remember that being mentioned on Talking Smack awhile ago. Fortunately, the wife's 250 Pampera was a willing doner and all is well for the weekend. I'll call around or check some of the big parts houses for the best price on the YZ starter. I wouldn't expect it to be much over $100. I paid $95 for a KTM starter a few years ago and they hold up very well(still on my '00), just need to be shimmed on the shaft. The Pampera starter has been excellent, it just got real sloppy recently after three years, and vibrates a lot. I was concerned about it breaking from fatigue ruining my day. FYI, they are about the same price as the KTM part.