Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Default E-start 2011

My e start is very inconsistent and I can not figure out what to do with it. I am hoping to get some advice or known fixes.

Symptons: Engages and starts 50% of the time (or less). When it does engage it is very likely to disengage mid cycle.

Possible fixes: removed assembly, inspected, cleaned, re-greased. I moved bottom shim to top, top shim to bottom and measured the hole the bendix shaft sits in to see if it seating too deeply. I also inspected to ensure there was no preload on the bendix spring and that the bendix is not bottoming out in the ring gear.

I am wondering if the bendix spring is too stiff and disengaging while or even before it locks out.

There is one more thing I am willing to try and that is too add filler material such a steel shims to the bottom bendix shaft hole. This is supposed to keep the bendix from seating too deeply. However, the shaft has a shim/washer and a ring that is supposed to prevent it from doing that. From my previous evaluation all seemed to be working fine and the bendix was not seating to a point where preload was experienced.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 AM

I think the dealers have a technical bulletin that addresses starter adjustment using shims. Mine has been 100% since new. I also put a new Shorai lightweight battery with more cold cranking amps, and it spins up even quicker. Is your battery in good shape?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentMartell View Post

I am wondering if the bendix spring is too stiff and disengaging while or even before it locks out.

Any thoughts?
This was one of the many issues I had with my KTM 07' 300 E-start. KTM acknowledge the problem and replaced the spring. The 08' up bikes use a softer spring , I think it will fit GG bendix.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:00 PM

The battery seems fine, tests within voltage limits and cranks fine. The bike has been like this since day 1, infact it was worse. It is not getting better with time. Right now it is almost not worth having.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM

I added a 1.5mm shim as you discussed above and that helped. Then my starter stuck and would not release. I cut a new case gasket from thicker material and installed (2) gaskets.
Works like a charm now.
With the stock gasket mine did not want to allow the gears to mesh proper and when they would then they would not release.
I am thinking the shim did not help as much as adding thicker gasket to allow the gears to mesh much easier.
I still kick it to start when cold but once warm just a tap of the switch and magic everytime
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Mine's still 100% since new. Go figure.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 PM

If you email my Tech, Rob, he will be happy to answer some questions regarding the e-starters. He seems to have them figured out. All of ours are working great but I will admit, they took some fiddling to get everything lined up properly.

rob@rossrochersales.com
Old 04-13-2011, 04:17 PM

I am going to look at the starter motor alignment and the cover gasket. The dealer ordered a new gasket for me and in the mean time I can cut one out of a cereal box etc.

I would be so sweet to have this issue resolved. A friend just picked up the other 300 our dealer had and the starter works perfectly on his bike. He is super happy.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
I added a 1.5mm shim as you discussed above and that helped. Then my starter stuck and would not release. I cut a new case gasket from thicker material and installed (2) gaskets.
Works like a charm now.
With the stock gasket mine did not want to allow the gears to mesh proper and when they would then they would not release.
I am thinking the shim did not help as much as adding thicker gasket to allow the gears to mesh much easier.
I still kick it to start when cold but once warm just a tap of the switch and magic everytime

Thanks! Your fix worked for me as well.

Last edited by mrfallover; 09-01-2011 at 07:53 AM.