Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Default 2011 125 6 Days!

Gonna test it tomorrow...here's the link to pics in the jetting section...feel free to chime in with any tips!

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...6770#post56770

Only added an oring chain, bark busters and an hour meter. The bike didn't come with the Q silencer...any ideas if the big bike one will work as I'm gonna need a spark arrestor for the enduros.

I didn't put the skid plate back on it bc it makes the drain plug hard to reinstall...I will modify the hole next week to make it easier to access.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Nice bike! I have experience with the 125, just not the new one with the 36mm carb. The biggest complaint on the older ones was very poor low end, but most of that could be fixed with good jetting. No o-ring chain? The silencers on the older ones are not the same as the bigger bikes.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
Gonna test it tomorrow...here's the link to pics in the jetting section...feel free to chime in with any tips!

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...6770#post56770

Only added an oring chain, bark busters and an hour meter. The bike didn't come with the Q silencer...any ideas if the big bike one will work as I'm gonna need a spark arrestor for the enduros.

I didn't put the skid plate back on it bc it makes the drain plug hard to reinstall...I will modify the hole next week to make it easier to access.
Ryan: That is a sweet ride right there! Your best bet will be calling FMF and having them match a Turbine Core or Q from a YZ125 - the core diameters and lengths from a 250/300 would be all wrong for this little guy.

Can't wait to get a riding impression - I ran a XC250 last year after several seasons on a YZ167 ... well, you can likely see where this is going.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 AM

It came with a nice non o-ring chain but I know the mud will kill it very quickly. The bike is geared 13/48 and came with a 12T as well. Any gearing rec's?

I've heard that the engine shares some "ideas" with a YZ125. I see that FMF makes a pipe for it and it is a special order thing from Part Unlimited. I seem to have FMF on speed dial since I regularly destroyed 200SX pipes on my 200XC. I'll call them next week and see about a SA and a pipe.

I noticed that Eric Gorr shows a 144 cylinder and I remember seeing someone build a custom (down to the cone pipe) 144/150/160 (can't remember the exact cc's) conversion. Any experience with going bigger?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
It came with a nice non o-ring chain but I know the mud will kill it very quickly. The bike is geared 13/48 and came with a 12T as well. Any gearing rec's?

I've heard that the engine shares some "ideas" with a YZ125. I see that FMF makes a pipe for it and it is a special order thing from Part Unlimited. I seem to have FMF on speed dial since I regularly destroyed 200SX pipes on my 200XC. I'll call them next week and see about a SA and a pipe.

I noticed that Eric Gorr shows a 144 cylinder and I remember seeing someone build a custom (down to the cone pipe) 144/150/160 (can't remember the exact cc's) conversion. Any experience with going bigger?
I'd try to stay away from the 12T front just because of chain and sprocket wear, and would likely look at a 50 or 51 for the rear.

The Husky guys were going through the same gyrations before their 150 arrived, and the jury is definitely out on EGs work. Berkyboy was teasing us with photos and some text about a factory special 152 GG, but I haven't heard anything lately.

If the engine is more than a kissing cousin to the YZ one might be able to convince MaxPower to run it up to 144 (bore) or 167 (bore and stroke), depending on connecting rod and crank dimensions. The bore and stroke isn't cheap though - I was in for over $2K to make the jump from 125 to 167 on my Yamaha. It was a great engine though, and I had no issues with it whatsoever. Strong enough to keep the 250s in sight for a couple hours, and forgiving enough to pull them in on hour three.

Have you had a chance to run the bike over a scale? Your mods are good ones, and what serious woods guys would run, so including them in total weight makes sense.

If FMF makes a pipe they likely know how to mate a silencer to it, especially since the subframes are the same between all of the bikes.

Ramble over ...
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 02-06-2011, 01:21 AM

... come to think about it, if you're running in a lot of mud or sand you may want to lace on a narrower rim, or at the very least spoon on a smaller rear tire. My spec sheet shows the 125 taking the same 140 that the big bikes do, and that doesn't seem right.
Steven Beane #275

afterhourscycle.com
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM

We run 13/52 on my nephew's bike. This works well in the mountains as the bike needs all the help it can get on big climbs, but it will climb and he has done very well in a few mountain enduros.

For jetting, in general if your not rich enough off the bottom torque will suffer badly. I'm sure it will be better with the 36mm card though, 38mm was tough and fussy to get right.

I think that '05+ is different and uses a flat top piston, but we use Vertex for a '00 YZ125. A Hinson clutch basket/pressure plate for a late '90s Honda CR125 goes right in. YZ power valves as well. I think the rod kit is also YZ, I'll have to check, I rebuilt the bike from the ground up a few years back.

Like other GGs the motor is a bit heavier but more robust than the others. You won't bend shift forks and the cases are very stout. Good woods 125, but it got a bad rap against the lighter faster Jap 125s when it was introduced.

As far as big bores the biggest problem is the exhaust bridge, like on all 125s. This has to be welded and built up properly before boring, then relieved before plating. If its too thin it will crack. Some say the GG exhaust bridge is borderline thin anyway. Maybe it is but we have had no problems in OEM 125 trim. I would find a builder who does this work the best. From what I have heard from trusted friends here EG is not that guy. Your results may vary. The radiators are large for a 125 so cooling is no problem at all even lugging around with little airflow.

I have a complete 125 top end on the shelf for a spare or big bore project. If you pursue this keep me posted.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM

YZ125 rod kit goes straight in, 87'-I cant remember.
But I know it works, thats what I rebuilt mine with, and CR125 pistons are flat top and also work well.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Well, I put 2 hours on it today and here's what I think...

The jetting I came up with is pretty close - 172, 42, stock needle 3rd, AS for temp, #7 slide. It has a slight stumble at times as it comes onto the needle. I wonder if just a clip change will help?...I have a pile of D and C series needles that I used in my 200XC that I might try. The bike lugs ok and seemed to rev out alright - it got better as the day went on. It was really slick in the woods so I went over to an MX track and pinned the throttle around the berms for a bit.

I can't believe how well the bike turns in comparison to my 200XC. It feels RM125 like. You just have to think about changing lines or hitting a rut and the bike does it. The suspension was harsh - I'm sure it was due to too soft springs and the fact it was new. I will be sending it to House of Horsepower this week to get those issues worked out. I will be ordering a scott's post and bar clamp kit so I can get my stabilizer on it. The way oversized tire is coming off for a 100/100-18 S12 and Tubliss setup. I might continue to run the stock Metzler 6days tire. If I switch front tires it will be to a trusty MS3 Starcross and a Tubliss. The only thing I noticed with the bike was slight weepage from the base gasket and head. I'll torque them down and hopefully that clears the issue up.

I can't wait for it to dry out so I can really rip up some singletrack - I think this bike is gonna eat up the tight stuff. It's a hoot to ride and I know there were some pissed off folks at the MX track when they got passed by a 125 with its headlight on...braaap!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM

how was the power compared to a rm125 or yz125?