Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Please help 2004 450 fse starter motor problems

I need help with my starter motor. I have read that a drz400 can be adapted to work on a 450. Can someone please give me advice on how to do this in children's language. PLEASE!!!!!

Last edited by Lambretta man; 12-09-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta man View Post
I need help with my starter motor. I have read that a drz400 can be adapted to work on a 450. Can someone please give me advice on how to do this in children's language. PLEASE!!!!!
It is starter also used by Yamaha, with has had the connector for the "hot" wire moved to a new location (a new hole was drilled into the starter housing to allow the electricity stud or bolt to come out of the housing in that different location).
The hole in the starter housing that was used in the Yamaha application was covered with a rubber plug by Gas Gas. The new location of the wire connector (that was used by GasGas) has no reinforcing ridge cast into the housing to "back up" the connector bolt (stud) coming out of the starter. Because of this, when connecting or disconnecting the "hot" wire to the starter, it is very important to keep from letting the stud rotate. This will tear or break the wire connection which is connected to the stud inside the starter housing.

On my 2002 FSE400, I removed the rubber plug (in the unused hole in the starter housing) and plugged the hole with "J&B Weld" epoxy. I temporarily put a piece of cardboard inside the housing while doing this to make sure my home made J&B Weld plug did not intrude too far into the housing.

This made the starter waterproof, where before, the rubber plug would leak as I went through deep water.
The starter can be repaired at most any competent starter rebuild shop, but the o-ring which seals the two halves of the starter housing has a square profile, and must be replaced if it is damaged. (It is still a large round o-ring, but the profile of the material is square.) I was able to get that o-ring and starter brushes from my wholesale starter supply.

You can order one of the starters more cheaply through a motorcycle starter supply. I am sorry, but I do not know the exact Yamaha starter to order. You will have to compare what you see in the starter lists to what you have.

Here in the US, I call Stockers Starters for aftermarket powersports starters.
I don't know if they ship outside the US, but you might get some helpful information. If you go to their web site and to their catalog page, you can go to page 223 of their catalog and see photos of all the Yamaha starters and what they are used on. This may help you in your quest.
Here is a link to the Stockers Catalog. http://stockers.com/catalog_pdf/2010...rs_catalog.pdf
(page 223 is the start of the Yamaha motorcycle starters list)

I hope that this helped you, or at least gave you a starting point in your endeavor.

Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/