Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:22 AM

Default New GasGas name

OK I'll just come out and say it - Reiju needs to rebrand the bikes they export to the US market. IMO they would be much more successful at growing their 2stroke competition line if they would add another name to these bikes. Chrylsler did just that when they changed their trucks from Dodge to Ram and it worked for them. Few people here in the US have ever heard of GasGas and NOBODY has ever heard of Reiju. Not only does that name make it sound like a Chinese knockoff bike but you also have to guess at how to pronounce "Reiju". They could try to buy the name Bultaco or Ossa or ccome up with something new. I'm on my 7th gasser a 2018ec300. I have been totally loyal for 20 years and would definatelly consider a Reiju/Gasser in the future no matter what name they put on it but let us face facts - GasGas had a very small piece of the US market and "Reiju" will have none so why handycap sales with a name that turns people off. Let's put our heads together and come up with a better name - they can still put "Reiju" on the bikes somewhere (in smaller letters) or just the big "R" in a circle that they use on some of their graphics. So let's here your name suggestions.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hoon-der? No, wait. . .

But I totally agree with you.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:18 AM

I will say I'm not fond of the name but I wasn't fond of the name GasGas either when I first heard it. I look at it like this, all successful brands started somewhere with no brand recognition. Motorcycles from Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki were unknowns when they hit American shores but they managed to make it all these years. Same with KTM, Husqvarna, Beta, TM, Sherco, and GasGas. While I wouldn't mind a name change I'm not going to worry about it either way. If Reiju is really wanting this venture to succeed, and puts in the R&D and cash, I suspect in ten years everyone will know the brand as well as the other European brands.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-19-2020, 06:49 AM

I would have to agree that the brand name sucks. It may mean something in Spain, but it means nothing in NA and it does sound like a Chinese knock off brand name.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:16 AM

Yeah my riding buddies all said the same thing about the name sounding like a Chinese knockoff. That and how it sounds like some sort of Dragon Ball Z anime character (and yes I know that's Japanese). I wish Rieju would have bought the entire brand before KTM did so they could retain the GasGas name. KTM buying the brand and completely doing away with the entire platform of the GasGas bike is pointless.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Alpha.

It's ahead of Beta.

Alpha Cycles.

Alpha off-road.

There's a precedent:

Beta cycles.
Delta box frame.
Zeta accessories.

There may be more. Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I had the same discussion with Mark a while back.... Owners are proud of company and name.

I suggested RJ or RJU for branding in North America.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I will say I'm not fond of the name but I wasn't fond of the name GasGas either when I first heard it. I look at it like this, all successful brands started somewhere with no brand recognition. Motorcycles from Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki were unknowns when they hit American shores but they managed to make it all these years. Same with KTM, Husqvarna, Beta, TM, Sherco, and GasGas. While I wouldn't mind a name change I'm not going to worry about it either way. If Reiju is really wanting this venture to succeed, and puts in the R&D and cash, I suspect in ten years everyone will know the brand as well as the other European brands.
I have no doubt Reiju will be successful with the GG 2stroke platfom in europe where they have hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of bikes running around with their name on them but here it's nada -a clean sheet. To build up a brand you need something new,different,better along with mega advertizing so people know about it. Honda did it in the 60s with small well made but cheap bikes and the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"advertisement. Kawaski did it in the late 60s with 2strokes and 4strokes that were the fastest street bikes of their time. Yamaha and Suzuki made their names in the woods and on the track in the 70s and 80s. Those were the decades when motorcycling was growing by leaps and bounds. Today is different not only is there much fewer new,young people coming into the sport but also important there is much less inovation in the bikes themselves - why pay 10 grand for a new bike when it is only marginally better than the 10 year old bike you already have. In other woods it's a much tougher market than it was 40-50 years ago. Why make it more so with a name that no one knows and no one can pronounce correctly.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

here is list of motorcycle companies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._manufacturers
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

It'll be a niche brand regardless. Same as Gas Gas has been.

Competitive pricing will be more important than the name.

The support network needs to be strong. IMO that has been the number 1 complaint I have heard with GG. Even if parts haven't been an issue, people are concerned that they may be. The recent changes in ownership etc has really highlighted those concerns.

My GGs have all been called china bikes! So be it. I'll ride em. I'm not in it for the coolaid. I buy them because they have been affordable and bloody reliable!

IMO trying to over advertise or swinging for the fences would be the wrong approach. Get the bikes out there, share some of the companies history. Let it grow slow and try and have some solid foundations to allow this really great platform of a bike shine.