Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:56 AM

Default Squeak, squeak, squeak

I had no problem with my 2018 GP, but my first 2019 EC 300's clutch squealed after about 30 or 40 hours. I installed a Rekluse basket, new clucth and I also drilled and keyholed the pressure plate so that more oil would reach the friction disks. But it still squealed even when not used hard.

Now my new 2019 EC 300, at zero hours and the first very careful 3 hour ride in very cold winter weather (25 F) also squealed when I slightly feathered the clutch to get over a log

I know that it is just a minor issue but honestly I am pissed off. I did drill the pressure plate before the first engine start to get more oil into the clutch but obviously there is something else causing the clutch to squeal. And I dont want to spend 1000 bucks for a Rekluse manual clutch package as I am tight at the moment and the bike is brand new.

I'll post this also on TT.

Cheers Doc

Old 01-08-2020, 05:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I had no problem with my 2018 GP, but my first 2019 EC 300's clutch squealed after about 30 or 40 hours. I installed a Rekluse basket, new clucth and I also drilled and keyholed the pressure plate so that more oil would reach the friction disks. But it still squealed even when not used hard.

Now my new 2019 EC 300, at zero hours and the first very careful 3 hour ride in very cold winter weather (25 F) also squealed when I slightly feathered the clutch to get over a log

I know that it is just a minor issue but honestly I am pissed off. I did drill the pressure plate before the first engine start to get more oil into the clutch but obviously there is something else causing the clutch to squeal. And I dont want to spend 1000 bucks for a Rekluse manual clutch package as I am tight at the moment and the bike is brand new.

I'll post this also on TT.

Cheers Doc
As experienced as you are, I'm sure you thought of or tried this already, but have you tried a different oil? Maybe one of the gear saver lubes like Bel Ray, etc?

RB
Old 01-08-2020, 09:45 AM

Thanks RB. Not in the new one. In the other EC I tried:

Nils 10/40
Motul V300 15/50
Motul V300 15/60
Castrol 10/40
Amsoil Synthetic Dirt 10/50
Motul Transoil 10/30 and 10/40
Putoline Synthetic TransOil and last but not least
Castrol ATF Dex II

Sorry if it is a dumb question, what are "gear saver lubes" ? maybe I will try BelRay, they have a very good reputation over here...
Old 01-08-2020, 02:24 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Belray gearsaver I have found to have the least squeal also the pen GRO oil but not easy to find.
(Being s?per aggressive also works lol)
Old 01-09-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Thanks RB. Not in the new one. In the other EC I tried:

Nils 10/40
Motul V300 15/50
Motul V300 15/60
Castrol 10/40
Amsoil Synthetic Dirt 10/50
Motul Transoil 10/30 and 10/40
Putoline Synthetic TransOil and last but not least
Castrol ATF Dex II

Sorry if it is a dumb question, what are "gear saver lubes" ? maybe I will try BelRay, they have a very good reputation over here...
It's a gearbox oil that's formulated to work with wet clutches. It is not an engine oil. Here in the USA, Bel Ray & Golden Spectro are the two I've used with good results. It'll usually be in a 75/90 weight rather than the 10/30 or 10/40 that we're used to.

My experience has been smooth shifting and smooth, quiet clutches. Your results may differ, but it's worth a try, imo.

RB
Old 01-09-2020, 12:31 PM

Many thanks swazi_matt and RB. Appreciate your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Belray gearsaver I have found to have the least squeal also the pen GRO oil but not easy to find.
(Being s?per aggressive also works lol)
I will give it a try for sure. I just need to check where I can get it, its rather unkown over here.

Being aggressive would help? I was aggressive but now changed my riding style (which was a pain for me) and I try to be super nice to the clutch. A wrong decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
It's a gearbox oil that's formulated to work with wet clutches. It is not an engine oil. Here in the USA, Bel Ray & Golden Spectro are the two I've used with good results. It'll usually be in a 75/90 weight rather than the 10/30 or 10/40 that we're used to.

My experience has been smooth shifting and smooth, quiet clutches. Your results may differ, but it's worth a try, imo.

RB
Thanks again, yes I know how the weights of common engine oil are translated in gear oils. A 10/30 is roughly a W75, a 10/40 or 10/50 is in the range of W80 or W85 and so on...

I will give the Bel-Ray a try within the next riding hours (currently I stopped riding as it is to cold for me, darn winter!), I think its easier to get than the one from GRO.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Guys I found somebody in Germany who would ship it, but he has two types available: Bel Ray Gearsaver W75 or W80.

The 75 is closer to a 10/30 and as GG says get a 10/40 I tend to get the W80. Your opinion?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:50 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I think it was the 80

Being aggressive was a bit of a joke, I had a buddy who didn’t believe in slowly riding a tricky section (mostly because he was short and couldn’t put his feet down) so he would attack it like a wild animal, sometimes he got up but it was so much more fun when he didn’t ...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I think it was the 80

Being aggressive was a bit of a joke, I had a buddy who didn?t believe in slowly riding a tricky section (mostly because he was short and couldn?t put his feet down) so he would attack it like a wild animal, sometimes he got up but it was so much more fun when he didn?t ...
Over here, it usually comes multigrade. I guess you just need to pick one and give it a try. If you have trouble with clutch drag, then I'd try the 75 wt.

RB
Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I think it was the 80

Being aggressive was a bit of a joke, I had a buddy who didn?t believe in slowly riding a tricky section (mostly because he was short and couldn?t put his feet down) so he would attack it like a wild animal, sometimes he got up but it was so much more fun when he didn?t ...
Sorry didn't get that. When the clutch on my former EC started to squeal my riding buddies said I am too aggressive on the clutch and I should not torture it that much. Since that day I changed my riding style significantly and it was a hard time riding the usual tracks in different gears and with minimum clutch work.
You can imagine that I was very surprised as the clutch of my brand new EC 300 startet to make noises on the very first smooth and easy ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Over here, it usually comes multigrade. I guess you just need to pick one and give it a try. If you have trouble with clutch drag, then I'd try the 75 wt.

RB
Clutch drag isn't an issue (yet?) The German said he has 75, 80, 80W90, 85. The multigrade one is a hypoid oil and I should not use it in a dirt bike.

I'll report back, but it will take some time. For me its too cold to ride at the moment and it seems to get colder ...