Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 PM

Default 400FSE 2002 Starter

Hi All,
I have recently bought a 2002 400FSE that was being sold as having had a top end rebuild but owner had lost interest and just needed a few bits putting back together.
Looked like cheap fun and I enjoy trying to get broken things working!
First jobs were clutch cover and alternator cover needed refitting.
Got these on and poured some oil in and kicked her over.
Having done lots of reading on here figured I was never going to get it started on the kick and I wasn't disappointed - definitely wouldn't start. Made all the right noises though, strong compression and a strong spark.
Next was to try the starter and no luck here.
Not sure where to start with this one and was hoping for advice - have done quite a bit of reading already and not expecting it to start easily but the first problem I have is that it won't turn on the starter - sounds like it is not engaging.
With the alternator cover off the starter gears removed the starter motor appears to turn with purpose. However, when the gears are fitted and the cover screwed on the sound is not good. I have taken a couple of videos here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133652...etaken-friend/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133652...etaken-friend/

And a photo of the gears - one looks 'modified' and perhaps I have assembled them incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for any advice and will hopefully get it running and make some new friends and get out on some adventures!

Cheers

Gareth

Old 11-16-2020, 04:43 PM

Default Picture Size

Videos don't seem to be working so I will try and figure that out now.

Edit - hopefully the links below the stills work ok.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2020, 05:34 PM

That one that is ?welded? is usually a starter back torque limiting gear. It is supposed to have a mini clutch pack to stop kick back breaking starter clutches and gears. You have probably purchased one of the most difficult bikes in the world to get started. They were plagued with a plethora of issues.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:32 PM

Yep, reading on here suggests hard to start. I'll be happy if I can get it to a stage where it starts with a jump off a car for the first start of the day. TBH I'll be happy just to have a bit of tinkering time even if I end up breaking it for parts.
Anyway, step 1 is to be able to turn it over on the starter. So, pondering this at work today I came up with a plan. I nipped out to the garage this evening and took the cover off then marked the gears with sharpie. Cover back on and hit the button. Cover off and all gears including the freewheel behind the flywheel have turned. So I'm thinking the problem is that freewheel so I'll order a puller for the flywheel and get in there and have a look.
And yes, welded. Messy! I'm guessing these back torque limiting gears are not available anywhere?
Cheers
Old 11-17-2020, 06:55 PM

Probably rarer than rocking horse poo. There was a gear on here making a drz400 starter clutch fit. Was some machining involved.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:42 PM

I think the welded back torque limiting gear will have destroyed the starter clutch. Ordered a flywheel puller so will have a look and see.
Found that thread on the DRZ conversion - could be useful, cheers!
Also discovered talk of Thor Motorcycles in Bodmin which is just down the road from me and could be useful.
I'll update once I have the flywheel off.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:18 PM

Right then. Flywheel puller turned up so was able to examine the starter clutch which looked happy enough.
After a bit of mulling over I am certain the starter motor is spinning the wrong way.
The seller did mention that there 'may' be a problem with the starter which was fair enough and having done no research I thought no worries, I'll just kick start it...
Anyway, I have removed the starter and will take down to my local starter/alternator place and see if they can reverse the polarity and try that.
Cheers
Old 07-02-2021, 04:22 PM

Update Time
Right then, faffed around with starter motor related experiments for a while then put the bike to one side for a bit. A nice Gasgas owner got in touch having seen this thread and we threw a few ideas around.
I was convinced the starter motor was turning the wrong way and in the end it seems it was. I had two starters that came with the bike both turning the same way. I found another at a breakers but that turned the same way. Then I found another at a breakers and it turned the opposite way. Bolted it on and she fired right up!
Unfortunately runs like a dog and burns loads of oil...

Link here

https://flic.kr/p/2m8WF8m

A friend I showed this to thought HG as it looks like white smoke but I'm sure it is burning oil. Next step I guess is to do a compression test and see if I can figure out the problem. It would be easy to give up but I feel I should keep going now I have solved the starting issue!

Cheers