Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Did you happen to take any Keihin vs Lectron measurements (spigot diameters and overall length)?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Negative. Just eye balled it. Dave will likely have all the dimensions recorded though. The carb was noticably longer and a better fit in the GG than the Keihin. Note that I have also removed the reed block spacer and my PWK didn't have any of the plastic adapters on it.

I'm not sure about the choke access with a large tank. As it is you still need to reach in from the LHS, around the front of the carb and then pop the choke up. I only kept it on about 10 seconds.

I have a 45 degree cable in it now. Ideally you'd trim back some of the sleeve on the cable so allow it to sit in lower and give a greater range of adjustment. I'll snap you a photo or two this afternoon. I'm also planning on trimming my space cable back some.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Thanks for the details Jake. I had a look at a Lectron and the only questionable part is the right side choke. I have the ~12L Clark tank and I doubt I could reach the right side choke. Lectron are currently working on a cable choke kit which should take care of this. A 45* cable fitting is essential for the carb top.
If I remember the Lectron has an option for a choke lever, presumably to move the actuator to the left side
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Here are the dimensions that I measured when I got my Lectron.

Stock Dimensions:

Airbox bell: 63mm
engine side bell: 46mm
length: 90.5mm
Throttle cable housing I.D.: 5.98mm

Lectron Dimensions:

Airbox bell: 60.19mm
Engine side bell: 46.0mm
Length: 97.2mm
Throttle Cable housing I.D. 6.15mm
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM

[QUOTE=Jakobi;
I have a 45 degree cable in it now. Ideally you'd trim back some of the sleeve on the cable so allow it to sit in lower and give a greater range of adjustment. [/QUOTE]

That's what I did. I cut off 16mm of the sleeve from the stock cable, and I haven't had any issues with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default lectron

Are their newer and older versions of lectron's ? Is it a 39 mm that you are trying out? I see one for sale and wondering if its the same thing you are testing.
What do these usually go for? I contacted the seller to find out more-was running it on cr500
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

No idea if the old lectrons and the new are the same. That would be a question for Lectron. Perhaps Dave will know. In regards to this its not something I have researched at all. I was just asked if I'd like to have a play with it so naturally I was interested The one in my bike is a 38mm.

Today I went about trimming up my spare cable. I took about 15mm off the end that attaches to the throttle. You could have probably taken it from the other end easier, but I'm not sure if it would have had room to still slide into the carb cap properly (ie cut back too far towards the bend). I'm happier with the fit now but still need to tie wire both ends before going out for a real single track mission. This cable was a motion pro std cable which is a few inches longer than the stock GG. No more issues with the cable hanging up when turning the bars.

I only ran one test today and that was running the rod 1/4 turn leaner than before. As Dave said, originally it was 50.5mm (from bottom of slide to end of metering rod). Coming out a quarter turn too it to 50.75mm and was enough to take the bike from near perfect to too lean at idle. The bike would consistently hang idle and bog when cracking the throttle. Previously it only very slightly hesitated when cold, and ran like an absolute champ when up to temp. I also noticed a reduction in torque in the bottom end. The mid range felt good and much more like my previous Keihin setup. Crisper and snappier, but due to being no pilot jet I can't just fatten up the idle without richening the mid as well.

I might try and go a quarter turn richer at some point, but I think any gains in bottom end will come at the expense of fuel economy and snap in the mid range, so for now I'm going to take it on a ride and see how it performs over a day.

I am still yet to touch the boost jet/power jet. I checked its position as it was sent, and it came in at exactly 3/4's of a turn out from closed. I have no idea what sized jet is in it.

Last edited by Jakobi; 03-22-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Heres a quick shot of the cable into the carb. Its very easy to pull this up which results in the slide lifting. Not sure where abouts on the cable I'm going to fit the tie wire, but should be easy enough to mount it back onto the adjuster on the carb.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Heres a quick shot of the cable into the carb. Its very easy to pull this up which results in the slide lifting. Not sure where abouts on the cable I'm going to fit the tie wire, but should be easy enough to mount it back onto the adjuster on the carb.
Thanks for the measurements singletracker. Jake, maybe you could soft solder a ring on the tube (10mm up?) and safety wire from that to the brass adjuster.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:58 PM

The older lecterns do differ from the newer ones, not 100% sure if the differences but I do know that the needles are not interchangeable between the old and new and the old ones only allow needle adjustments of 1 full turn whe the new knew will do 1/4 turn increments. The new ones are definitely a better carb for the sort of riding we all do.

With the dimensions it should be possible to reduce the length by ~5mm with some minor machining to make it an easier fit. Will look into it if it becomes an issue.

Jake if you want I'll send a 3-2 needle to try... It'll have a richer bottom end and same mid range compared to the current 3-1 needle so you'll be able to drop it further to lean out the mid but avoid the hanging idle.