Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Default DE vs EC?

I'm looking around for a GG and found this forum. I searched but could not find what the difference is between a DE and CE model.

I'm in Akron, OH. Any help finding a 250 or 300 now a days, or am I stuck waiting for the '09's to show up? I saw the post about Dixie having several '07 EC200's for a good price and am intrigued. I will be racing HS around here, used to do it for a few years in 2000-2003 (rode a LOT during college around Athens in the 91-95 yrs), then got into road racing. RR has gotten WAY too expensive now (always was I guess) so looking to get back into the dirt stuff. I've had old POS KTM's (89-91 250 and 300exc), now have a 2000 DRZ400 that I mostly ride to work.

Thanks,

Brad

Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 AM

The DE has a lighter flywheel and 30 watt stator. Ushaly no lights. Other than that they are almost the same bike. The suspension might be different but i do not think so.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 AM

The true EC is Euro street legal with Halogen headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals, horn, speedo/odo, mirrors and rear fender extension. It does not have a spark arrestor. They have an emissions compliance kit (catalyst pipe and restrictors) and competition kit (regular pipe). It has a 100 watt coil. I had to special order my EC300 as they are not regularly imported that way into the US.

The DE has been a cooks choice. Some came with a small headlight. Others did not. Most have a tail light/brake light. Most have a 35 watt coil which has less flywheel weight. They usually have a FMF pipe & spark arrestor. (The '01 XC300 is similar to the DE300).

The wiring harnesses are usually different.

Both are great machines. I prefer the EC with the larger coil and heavier flywheel for trail riding and dual sport.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

there's a dealer here who has been able to get at least 2 '08s, I've seen them.

Cyclesport USA in Collierville, TN