Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default FSE question

hey guys, went and looked at a bike at lunch today and wanted some input.
it is an fse400 that has been converted to a 450 and is FI and e-start. I am not sure on year, but appears to be in the same range as my 300 (2001). It is a very low hour bike and is parked in the same storage place my 300 came from and is like new.
Any thoughts, trouble, problems with these bikes ?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM

( I am no expert and have no first hand experience)
With that said:
Do your homework before your buy an FSE older than 05.
Ask why was this bike converted from a 400 to a 450 with
such low miles on it? (hint) did to old top end swallow a valve?
What year motor is it?
What other modifications or improvements
have been made to it? and why?
I had a friend with an 03 that had nothing but
problems with the bike. From starting issues, to a drained
battery for no reason to the eventual valve swallowing trick.
Dealer rebuilt the whole top end from the base gasket up.
Less that 50 miles later it threw the rod through the cases.
Some folks have not had these problems with their early year
FSEs. Others have had nightmares.
Ask if the Cam modification for the auto decompression
mechanism was done. Any re-maping of the ignition module?
------
I hope some of the folks here will fill in the gaps on the history
and reliability of the pre-05 4-stroke GasGas. I'd would like
to hear about the good and the bad issues with these bikes myself.
Jeff
Old 04-23-2009, 05:06 PM

good thoughts Jeff..
the guy that has the bike is a honda/kaw dealer who tried to get into gasgas as a franchise in 2000 to 2002 era. this is one of the bikes he got in the initial start up of that venture, as is the 300 and the 250 that I have.

He told me it was converted, but i never really askd why. He is always very honest with me so i need to pin him down. He just told me one day he did not think it would ever sell and the bike is very nice.
I will pin him down.

Last edited by jhendr3702; 04-23-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Aside from the engine scare.... I'd consider the handling of that bike. I do have first hand experience with the first generation FSE 400. My local dealer was sponsoring me at the time and wanted me on a four stroke really bad, he ordered it with Ohlins forks and everything hoping to entice me. He had me take it out and try it, and much to his chagrin, I hated it. It felt very front heavy, and top heavy. The poor girl just felt wrong, not to mention under powered. There's no way I could get along with that bike.

Consider that I am a long time two stroke rider, long time 125 rider at that time especially. I had raced a Husaberg at an ISDE qualifier previous to that bike, and turned some really good grass track times, but this Gas Gas wasn't even close. I did have similar front end issues with the 'Berg, but at least it turned and felt light. The front heavy feel may just be that I expect the front end to lift when I snap the throttle, I'm not sure.

Anyway, a good deal on a bike you can't get along with, and can certainly not sell, isn't a very good deal. Hopefully I'm wrong, and four stroke lovers out there actually like that early bike, but I'm not one of them.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

The fse400 wasn't abad bike apart from starter motor issues and general wiring failures.You have to be a self trained meck/electrican to keep it going.A lack of poke could have promted the upgrade to 450.Handling I found was never a problem.Starter problems became less of an issue when the starter was moved to the rear of engine in later models.The exhaust pipe just cooks the older ones.The 450 certianly has alot more whip to it.Having owned both and now an ec300 I wonder why I ever bothered clinging to the 4 stroke dream(delusion)
Cheers
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM

the starter is on the front of this bike, and i too have always been a 2strk rider, except for one venture on a yz400f. My 300 is as close to a perfect bike for me as any I have ever had.
The 250 is a blast to ride, but for the older trail rider in me, the 300 is the ticket. I ride with a guy that has a wr450 and it is pretty cool. I talked to Mark at go-fasters about the 400-450 bike and he told me the same things you guys have...electrical issues, some engine issues, and so on..
Thanks for all the input, I enjoy working on bikes, but I think I would rather ride my 3hunge than work on the FSE..
It is just a way nice bike that has been in a storage bldg for atleast 3 yrs that I know of. I think I understand why, unless it is dirt cheap......
Jay
Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM

well...
the guy that has the fse talked to me today. He sold the other 300 he had to a friend of the guy that bought the 250 from me. So he is down to the 250 he will not sell and the fse... We talked about it in lenght, he told me that gas gas sent out the 450 kit to all 400 owners that was why it was updated.
Also we talked about the problems I have read and talked to alot of guru's about on these bikes. He told me, if I wanted to, I could come get the bike and spend a while tinkering on it and trying it out. It was drained of all fluids and put up about 4 yrs ago.
It sounds like a no lose situation. All I would have in it, is time to get it serviced and back, hopefully, to running condition. Then have a few rides to decide if it is something I would want to have..
Any more input would be grand..
jay
btw this is a brand new, never sold, 02 fse 400 that has the 450 top end on it. did u rims, same suspension as my 300..
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I enjoy working on bikes, but I think I would rather ride my 3hunge than work on the FSE..

That is ^^^^a very wise statement from one of your posts above,I'd stick to it.Keep life simple and enjoy the 300.Leave that bike for someone else to put in their musem.
If you've got hair now you won't have after bringing that thing to life and keeping it that way.
If you really like working on bikes,buy a run down 250/300and rejuvenate it to it's former glory,much more satisfaction IMO.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 PM

thanks gas monkey..i needed a reminder...
almost lost my mind there, again..
Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM

I had the '05 fse, and a friend has the '03 and '04 fse's. Most of the time he has to kickstart them. And sometimes it takes many kicks. They got better every year, and the '05 ran great and started every time with the button. U need to use a battery tender if U don't ride at least once a week.
I wouldn't buy a FSE any older than a '05. I think from '05 forward U will be fine. They do rip!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1