Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Default Looking for input from women riders

A few weeks ago I rode a GasGas for the first time at a demo event, an XC 250 4T. It was a fairly quick ride but I was amazed at how comfortable I felt on it and how enjoyable it was to ride. Other ‘big’ bikes feel just that… too big, which makes them feel intimating. I’ve been researching options for my next bike, looking to take a step up in power and performance, and feeling a little discouraged, but my GasGas ride gave me hope. I’m wondering what other women riders’ experiences have been with GasGas bikes – what models do you ride, what do you like about them, what sort of modifications, if any, have you made, etc.? What other bikes have you ridden for comparison? Are GasGas bikes as popular with women riders as I would think they are given how comfortable I felt on one?

Thanks for your input.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

check out cafe husky ....
there is are a couple women riders there one who rides husky and gas gas Dirt dame or huskychic or something like that.

lots of good smaller bikes out there for women. ktm 125 and 200, gasser 200, kawi kdx 200.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Good call. Lots of female riders over at CafeHusky.
DirtDame and Woodchick are a couple and both also have Gasers .
07 TXT 280
77 TY175

Last edited by HuskyDude; 09-23-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM

My wife moved from a CRF250X to a Gasgas 200, I first got her a leftover 2007 , but now she has a 2010 EC200. She absalutelly loves it in every aspect , her riding improved ten times over , she has more confidence and most importantly enjoys riding even more now . Her first comment was how light and nimble it felt , also the motor is smooth and very linear which is a big plus as she had never ridden a 2-stroke before . If you need any more info PM me and I will get my wife to respond .

Her new Gas gas

Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Banned

Don't forget that Go Fasters offers a different set of linkage rods that will lower the seat height another 3/4 inch.
Clay
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Site Sponsor

A properly set up EC200 (with the larger EC ignition) is a dream to ride and still very competitive when it needs to be thanks to the 6 speed tranny.

Most gals (and guys) would be extremely happy with the 200cc or displacement once the motor and bike is set up properly.

Done properly the set up is magic and very, very, easy to ride.

Punch list includes (in no particlular order)

1) Proper suspension set up: springs (up to $185 if you need new springs), 115mm race sage at rear and raise fork height in triple clamps a minimum of 3/8th of an inch. IMHO valving is pretty good for most riders who use softer spring setups (remember the EC200 comes sprung the same as the EC125 --.40 front and 5.0 rear.)

Lowering links (longer links actually) can be added but on the newer chassis (2005 and newer) the change comes at a cost to handling at higher speeds. If you lower the rear don't forget to raise the forks in the triple clamp.

2) Add 10 -15mm spacer to muffler at exhaust spigot. ($20 at local muffler shop.) Probably the best modification to mellow out the motor just a little.

3) Proper gearing: 13-51 or 52 gearing (around $45 for rear)

4) RB carb mod and head mod (around $225) or a G3 cammed throttle tube ($95).

That's it.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I keyed in on the comment of big bikes feeling big. After reading a comment by Dick Burleson in a test of Gas Gas bikes (some time ago) I was very interested in trying one. He said that "the Gas Gas feels like a 7/8ths scale motorcycle... It's a pretty good description. I like how it seems a Gas Gas is just easier to throw around than most other bikes.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

You mean I rode a girls bike!

I'm a light weight and I really loved my 200. My wife didn't like my bike but that's for other reasons...errr...crash. lol
Old 09-24-2010, 09:43 AM

My wife rides a GasGas 250 Pampera. If your just a casual trail rider this is a great bike, but the chassis won't hold up to aggressive use. That trials motor in an EC frame might be the ultimate low speed technical trail bike.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Site Sponsor

The Pampera was a great idea just a little "under built" for any serious off-road riding. With no power valve the power delivery was just smooth with absolutley no hit unless you rev'd it to the moon and abussed the clutch.

If I remember right there's a couple of guys in Hawaii that have taken 250 Pampera motors and put them in KX125 frames and claim they've built the ultimate "extreme" play bike.

They say they are the easy to trail ride yet have the chassis build to handle "extreme" riding in the lava fields and dense forests.

Makes you wonder what one would do in the Enduro Cross Series.

A Pampera motor in an EC 125 frame would probably be easier to build and would accomplish the same thing if you could just find two donor bikes.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist