Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Best year GG for a taller rider

If I'm not mistaken, GG changed the rear subframe in '07. I'm wondering if the pre-'07 or post-'07 bikes have more room between the seat and pegs. Another way of asking the question is, "What difference did changing the subframe make in terms of ergonomics?"

I'm 6'2", and want to get away from the "knees up," cramped feeling.

I'm guessing this has been discussed - I did do some searching and couldn't find the answer!

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 12-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Site Sponsor

If I remember right the '07 seat rode slightly taller with the new style subframe as it used the same frame as the 05s / 06s. The '08 and newer bikes ride a little lower as the shock mounting bolt hole was raised slightly (lowering the bikes seat height about 1/2 inch) begining in '08.

Other set ups tips that open up the ergos for taller riders on any GasGas:

1) Shorter linkage pull rods (stock is 122mm / 120, 123 and 124 are available) will raise the rear of the bike about 3/8s of an inch. You wil also need to lower the forks about the same distance to keep the bike's rake in balance. This will effect handling some so be warned.

2) The Enduro Engineering taller seat foam will raise your seated position about 1 inch.

3) IMS "YZ low" foot pegs add about a 1/2 inch advantage by lowering your foot but the also are lower to the ground.

4) You can raise the handlebars slightly in the top triple clamp with spacers and longer bolts or go with taller bars or both.

I myself would start with 2,3 and 4.

Also make sure you have sag set properly for your weight and that you have the proper fork and shock springs.

Good Luck.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thanks, Steve - good info. For the discussion, I don't really want the bike to be taller (#1), just want to make more "cockpit" space. So #2-4 will likely do it. I read somewhere that some tall guys like orange because of the "space" - but I want the GG turning ability, and have a txt321 trials bike - so I am a GasGas fan!

Thanks for your contributions to the forum and for being a site sponsor.

Jeff