Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default EC200R vs EC250R (2012 model)

Well I've mentioned this in just about every other thread now so I thought it was about time I gave them a thread of their own.

At this point in time I'm looking at riding something a bit different to my 2010 300R so am considering the 200R. I'm also going to be keeping the 300 in the short term so will truly have the best of both worlds.

Just a few quick questions RE the 200. Does it run the same powervalve setup or something different? From those with experience will it feel underpowered? I'm looking for a soft bottom end with a nice mid/top end. Something I really need to keep busy on and be rewarded by. How will maintenance intervals vary between the two bikes? Top and bottom end?

I can get the 200R at a really nice price, the 250R is close to $1000aud more.

Whats everyones opinions? My riding is quite varied between tight single with some transport sections (fire roads) which I don't mind putting around on. I have owned a 250F which will do everything I have asked, the power is just a bit boring.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:34 AM

Having ridden and lived with 250s and owning a 200.
It is soft-ish off the bottom and rips in the power band, but you need to ride more aggressively to get the best of the bike, it will reward you though. I did a top end at 80 hours, everything was still in spec.
A friend of mine took a 2010 200 to a NZ 0-200cc national enduro title, and hes a pretty big guy. Only mods were a revalve and a 2k2 flywheel.

The 200 runs exactly the same PV set up as the 250/300.
I dont think much has changed between engines as far as the 07 and the 12 are concerned, you might get a 36mm AS2.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
It is soft-ish off the bottom and rips in the power band, but you need to ride more aggressively to get the best of the bike, it will reward you though. I did a top end at 80 hours, everything was still in spec.
A friend of mine took a 2010 200 to a NZ 0-200cc national enduro title, and hes a pretty big guy. Only mods were a revalve and a 2k2 flywheel.

I dont think much has changed between engines as far as the 07 and the 12 are concerned, you might get a 36mm AS2.
Is that teh same guy that got a 10th at the Roof of Africa on a GG300?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Is that teh same guy that got a 10th at the Roof of Africa on a GG300?
Yea, Mitchell Nield
Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post

Thanks Noobi..

I'm hardly a big guy. At 29 years old I only weigh in at 75kg which is the heaviest I've ever been. Old age kickin in! Haha!

I also enjoy riding aggressively which is why I'm considering the down size. The 300 is a great bike and wonderful motor but too much for most of the riding I do. Looking for something I can swing between the trees on the pipe a bit more without having to worry about over shooting when the band kicks in. I can ride the 300 like this but it takes alot of finess and hard work.

Which carb would you recommend if given a choice? I like that the PV is the same. I'm planning on pulling the head and jug right off the bat and matching the ports and bringing the squish down. What measurements am I looking at here? Normal 1.3-1.4mm?

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Thanks Noobi..

I'm hardly a big guy. At 29 years old I only weigh in at 75kg which is the heaviest I've ever been. Old age kickin in! Haha!

I also enjoy riding aggressively which is why I'm considering the down size. The 300 is a great bike and wonderful motor but too much for most of the riding I do. Looking for something I can swing between the trees on the pipe a bit more without having to worry about over shooting when the band kicks in. I can ride the 300 like this but it takes alot of finess and hard work.

Which carb would you recommend if given a choice? I like that the PV is the same. I'm planning on pulling the head and jug right off the bat and matching the ports and bringing the squish down. What measurements am I looking at here? Normal 1.3-1.4mm?

Thanks again.
Well you've got 10 years and 10kg on me....haha Which is after I put on 10kg after I broke my arm... haha.

Anyway.
I'm pretty sure my 07 has the 38mm carb, with the screw top, and its jetted really fat compared to the bigger bores, 180/50 I think and a rich needle on a rich clip.
I lowered the squish to 1.7-1.8 using gaskets, ports seemed about right. You could probably go tighter, as a reference I run my 125 at 0.8mm.
I can either ride in the power band in 2nd between the trees, or out of the band in 3rd with 13:50 sprockets. I barely ever get in trouble from having too much power, take that for what its worth. When the band comes on the bike just becomes super responsive, not as though it just got an extra 10hp and wants to rip your head off any chance it gets. It really is easy to ride in the power band.

No worries
Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Old age mate?
Try another ten years and then ell me you're 75 kilos.
I was 65 for years, then 75 now at 39(nearly 40) , I am 83.
All muscle though( at least thats what I tell everyone,lol)
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hahah Mark! I'll get older and fatter yet! Its a work in progress!

I'm liking what I'm hearing Noobi. I think the 200 is the bike for me. Would love to confirm some optimum squish and compression figures from some in the know. It seems the 200 has a bigger 'unknown factor' than the 250/300 and this is about the only fault i can pick at the moment.

I personally haven't found myself in a really bad situation with the 300 due to the power. Its just that I can't keep it in the meat of it long enough to feel like i'm getting the most of it.. Torque torque snap low.. I want something I can clutch out of a corner and hold open for a few seconds before closing it down and doing it all again. I think by the sounds of it the 200 is what I'm looking for.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 AM

You can ride the 250 either way, with the right gearing and proper jetting. Lug it around in the greasy stuff to maintain traction, on the pipe between the trees in the good dirt. A bit less down low than a 300 and more than a 200, with plenty of big mid to top power. I'm a lot older than you guys and I prefer it!
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You can ride the 250 either way, with the right gearing and proper jetting. Lug it around in the greasy stuff to maintain traction, on the pipe between the trees in the good dirt. A bit less down low than a 300 and more than a 200, with plenty of big mid to top power. I'm a lot older than you guys and I prefer it!
This is exactly how I ride the 300 though, and considering I'll be keeping it I'm wondering if the 250 will be too similar. If I was selling the 300 it would be an easy choice to get the 250.

..It somewhat sounds like I've answered the question myself