Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Glenn,
Mine is a torn calf muscle 4-6 weeks and PT I'll meet you and Steve for a 12oz curl.

Ernie

Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM

that sucks glenn,heal up soon and we will see you out there!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 PM

OK, after seeing two old school docs I find one who does a lot of these and says it needs fixing, and I agreee 100%. Surgery tommorrow, Ti plate and screws. Should be healed in 8 weeks. 8 MONTHS and likely complications without.

If this happens to you, DO NOT listen to the it will heal itself BS. Mine is all screwed up and out of line, I feel like crap. I'm pissed it was trivialized and I was sent home like this.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Glen I saw the X-rays you posted over on KTM Talk and that looked nasty for sure. I'm really glad you decided for the surgery (like Dr. Mark suggested) and hope you have someone who has done this many times. That poor dude in Europe that had his plated and it looks so awful now, don't want to end up like that.

Anyway good luck with the surgery and to a speedy recovery.

Skidad in MA
Old 05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Good luck Glen.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Yeah, Good luck Glenn.
I busted mine back in '73. I got knocked over in the first turn at what is now Spring Creek MX Park in Millville, MN. Not a good place to be lying on the ground... It was only broken in one place. It grew back lapped over itself. (about an inch?) Looks goofy, but it hasn't given me any trouble in 30+ years of numerous other type "A" activities. Like loosenut I was back racing in 3 weeks, but I was also only 20-ish... and even then I think it would have healed better and faster if I'd have been a little more patient.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanks guys.

I live near NYC with among the best medical resources in the world. You would think it easy to find a guy with experience in fixing this. Well, not so, as the clavicle plating system is relatively new tech (last 2-3 years). Before that they used pins or generic plates (like the guy on KTMtalk got in the UK), or just let it alone. A lot of these docs are just not up to date. A lot are, but they don't advertise clavicle repair so how do you find them? Its like ACL reconstruction was a few years back (now eneryone does it). I'll tell you what I did after going nuts for days looking. I found the mfg of the locking clavicle plate implant, got the local sales reps name/#, and called him to find out what docs in my area use the most plates. Great guy and pointed me to a doc that does a lot and seems confident. High profile athlete photos grace the walls and he also worked on one of NJs ex govs (no, not the homo ). So, I'm looking for a good outcome. Should you be unfortunate enough to have a problem like this, do your homework. Docs are just like any other professionals. Good, bad, conservative, aggressive, etc.

I'll let you guys know how it went, I'm sure I'll home for a few days at least and here a lot!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 AM

Hi Glenn,

About 2 years ago I crashed quite bad with my trials bike and broke collor bone plus a crack in it.
Shoulder also got a really big hit and muscles who fixes shoulder in place was beaten up bad.
Collar bone was hard to fix in possition as mine also moved around but doctors said its not any problem if they not grow togehter in exact possition, Mine is now overlapping or on top of each one. ( don't know how to explain ) But I have no problem with that at all today.

What I really think you should be careful with is your shoulder.
Already after 2 weeks of non moving you will start to have cartilage in the shoulder joint if not moving shoulder.
Myself I vent to training and tried to move shoulder as much as possible and today I have no problem with it.

I however met a guy who had a similar accident with BMX bike about the same time as me but he did not follow doctor's orders with training/moving arm.
Instead he held arm/shoulder as still as possible to avoid any pain and today he can not lift arm over his shoulder.
He have now problem to ride with his BMX with his kid's and this was a thing that he really liked a lot.

Lech
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Have fun today! I'll give you a call in a couple days to see how your doing.. Maybe Holly and I will head over for a visit..
Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Surgery tommorrow, Ti plate and screws. Should be healed in 8 weeks. 8 MONTHS and likely complications without.
Wow, I just read this thread and hope everything goes well. I'm glad you are getting it set properly. Good luck with the surgery and healing process.

Looking on the positive side... the Ti plate will be some extra bling for your body.

Take care!