Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Let us know what Dr. Mark's opinion is. If he thinks U should still go ahead with the plating, can U insist this other Dr. to ok it? After all, it's your body.

'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Same old crap. My first doc said the same thing, if it was his shoulder he'd leave it alone and not plate it a second time. Yeah, the ends of my clavicle had fuzz between them on the XRay, but that ended up being fiberous scar tissue that was like a cartlidge, and the bone moved constantly. He dosesn't want surgery because he probably hasn't done many, especially with a bone graft. Even if it does heal, it will not be straight. Search on TT, Dr. Mark makes reference to a study in a medical journal recently done that concludes the surgical approach yields better results.

This is a preview of whats in store for more of us if that Ahole Obama gets his way. Sorry, I really hate that guy.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Same old crap. My first doc said the same thing, if it was his shoulder he'd leave it alone and not plate it a second time. Yeah, the ends of my clavicle had fuzz between them on the XRay, but that ended up being fiberous scar tissue that was like a cartlidge, and the bone moved constantly. He dosesn't want surgery because he probably hasn't done many, especially with a bone graft. Even if it does heal, it will not be straight. Search on TT, Dr. Mark makes reference to a study in a medical journal recently done that concludes the surgical approach yields better results.

This is a preview of whats in store for more of us if that Ahole Obama gets his way. Sorry, I really hate that guy.
He did talk about that study but he still would not do it. I'm calling my PCP and see if I can force them to refer Dr Mark.

And I agree about Zero...I mean Obama.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM

I forgot. The doc said he wouldn't do the surgery because of my head injury. He said there could be a problem.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Run that one by Dr. Mark, I'll bet he calls BS. Good luck. I've been there and feel for you.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Ok. I called my PCP and they said that they would write the referral. Now I hope and pray that is passes.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 AM

The referral to TX is in with the insurance company. I called the insurance and the lady said they review it in 2-3 business days. That's not what the other lady said...I'm not holding my breathe.

My shoulder blade and shoulder socket area is really hurting when I using the sling. I also feel this pain if I have been standing a lot and haven't rested my shoulder. I've pretty much stopped using the sling...unless I go to the docs. The break point isn't to sore but my neck is. There's still a nice point on the collarbone. I wonder how my riding gear is going to feel rubbing on that if I can't get this fixed. I know my clothes feel terrible on it.

OT says I've come along way...would have been better with a plate. Right now I have full motion if I raise my whole arm up over my head. From the side I can only go about half way. It is also very hard to go across the front of my body. I have one finger that feels numb...that is better then the 3 I had a few days ago. Fun Fun Fun.

Updated: I found an orth doc up here that does work with the Acumed plate. I'm seeing him this Friday. Maybe he gets it more then the others... It seems crazy when I'm trying for TX but I have to have a backup plan.

Last edited by nhrider; 10-27-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Site Sponsor

on my last break, the doc said 'here's a sling' - after a week of the sling, i switched to the shoulder brace style.
i hate the way the sling heals. the brace is infinitely more comfortable..
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM

That figue 8 brace is useless. It would have to be super tight and not removed for the entire time it takes to heal. As soon as you remove it the bones move. You cant straighten a broken clavicle without surgery, it just does not want to sit straight by the nature of its function. You feel pain because the shoulder geometry is screwed up. Muscles that are normally relaxed are now under tension. The brachial plexus (nerve bundle to arm) is also likely affected as it can be compressed. Once its plated and straight this will all go away, but the longer it sits crooked like it is the longer it takes to feel normal later.

Once you have been through this, and spent time in a sling, brace, and plated, you will understand and beleive that the non-surgical approach is old school crap that has no place in 2009, except probably in the Obama care plan.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Site Sponsor

i have done all three... plated is the way to go. on this last break i had no coverage, so i went the old school way. either way, the figure 8 was infinitely more comfortable for me.