Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Administrator

After having a major surgery and having my upper body "out of action" to recover, I was surprised by how atrophied the muscles had become in a relatively short period of time.

You may have enough time for the bone to heal well - but maybe not enough time to build the muscle back up in your arm and upper body after you are able to fully use it again - take it easy and start lifting light weights as soon as possible to get things moving again.

jeff

Old 07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Well, I just watched the whole utube thing and yes, it was Patetonga. I swear I will never wimp out of a ride ever again! That is a tricky place to ride when it's wet. It's a shame they don't run rides through there during the summer. Last year at the start of the winter I did a ride there in the opposite direction - it was still semi-dry and one of the best of the year.
Check out the very last bit of the vid! Looks like he was taken out from behind by one of his mates! You gotta love riding with mates - they always follow too close, fall off on top of you and then scream at you to "get this f....g bike off me it's burning the inside of my knee!!"
I'm thinking it would have been a long painful trip to Middlemore with that arm, still, if you called in at Mercer for a Mrs Macs steak and cheese on the way it probably wasn't so bad....
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 AM

I broke my left radius back in '02, but it was not that bad and they casted it as it was not displaced, although hardware would have let me rehab faster. The PT on the wrist was long and expensive after being immobile for so long.

Muscles go away fast in non-use, but also come back fast. Heavy on the calcium/vitamin D, no smoking, and no NSAIDS. Do as much PT as you can to keep the blood flowing to the healing area.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:53 AM

I went for the post op check and they pulled the stitches, the cut is healing nicely, it wont be a gnarly scar unfortunately.
But they put my arm in a fibreglass cast for 4 weeks, I thought that there was no possibility of the bone moving due to the plate, but they seemed to think that I might bend the plate or snap a screw if I put much force on it, they said that a full cup of tea was about the limit!!!! what the heck.

Jostby, did they put your sons arm into a cast?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM

No cast. Pretty much told him to take it easy and if something feels uncomfortable then "don't do it". I would stick with your doctors advice though, or you could always get a 2nd opinion. He may be going the extremely cautious route just to cover his butt.
Between my kid and I, I've noticed that "sports doctors" are more willing to work with you to get you back to your sport than "general" doctors. This means surgeons also. On top of that a competent "sports orientated" physical therapist will be 100% more competent than the ones a general practitioner will refer you too, at least most of the time anyway. You really need to choose each of them carefully. Getting a 2nd opinion may be your best bet for a quicker rehab as long as you don't cause more damage in doing so. Maybe you mentioned something to your doctor that scared him and that's why he cast you?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 07-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Im trying to get an opinion out of Dr Mark on thumpertalk before paying to see a sports doctor here, but so far, nothing.
So it was about 11/12 weeks and your son was riding again?, did he have any discomfort caused by the riding?
Heres the original break
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM

He actually didn't ride for about 14 weeks. He broke it the first of January and got on the bike mid-March to try to get things moving for the D100 early April. The discomfort he had was from the damaged muscles and tendons as far as he could tell. He said when he hit hard ledges and rocks or gullies it was a "wierd hurt" sensation. I don't think bones have nerves so I don't think you would feel anything if you started pulling the screws or weakening the repair. Maybe our surgeon was looking for more work haha!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 AM

You said that he rode on the 1st of April, and broke it on the 3rd of Jan. And was given the ok by the doctor mid march?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Yeah, the wife wasn't going to let the kid go with me if it wasn't OK'd by the doctor. Doc told him to "be careful and don't do it if it hurts". You can go for a trail ride, slip and break your arm no differant than riding that poker run or race (he didn't race but he didn't ride slow either).
The doctor gave him full release for wrestling too and that was early to mid March.
Jeff.

'00 XC250 (mine)
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Dr Mark on TT said that riding in 4 months. Thats too long, ill be doing everything I can to be ready for the enduro which is 11 weeks after the operation. Ill go off the deep end if I miss it, as its the final and iv already dropped a round.