Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Help 04 ec300 wont idle

I just picked up an ec300. It starts fine with choke, but then as it gets warm I start to smell antifreeze and it won't idle any more (my thinking is that it's
hot and lean, but then again it may be rich?). What jetting should I have as a baseline for wisconsin in the summer? Under 1k elevation 80deg.
I don't have much 2stroke experience.
I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM

Opinions on jetting vary. I found that optimal jetting is different between my '01 XC300 and my '06 EC300.

If you just want to buy a solution try the LTR jetting kit or the RB designs carb mod. With the LTR jetting it will require some fine tuning. The RB designs carb mod is pretty much install and ride.

If you like to jet it yourself, read the jetting database and the various posts in this section to get ideas on what works for different riders.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

Default more info

OK guys, I checked out my setup...I'm running a 175mj, 40pj, #7 slide, fuel screw 3 turns out. I'm running 40:1 premix ratio.The bike smokes like a chimney and doesn't want to idle when warm. When I run the carb out of gas, the rpms run really high. It seems to me that would indicate richness, but the PJ seems smaller than what most are running. I'm confused. Anyone else have ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM

The needle is a key component in getting good jetting. What needle do you have?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 AM

Smell antifreeze - hasn't got a blown head gasket has it? Are you losing coolant?
Is that smoke really steam?

Good Luck with it.

I just picked up an 07 EC300 myself. Must say I'm impressed.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 AM

What about your impeller? Supposedly a "weak" link on these things...

LTR makes an alloy impeller that is supposed to improve cooling.

Bad radiator cap?

I found this jetting info very informative. Pobit is in MN.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...9&postcount=27
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Default gg300

Guys, thanks for your help. I'm now suspecting head or base gasket issues (maybe a very slight leak.) Coolant level was definitely down when I got the bike. I also remember getting a black, thin fluid coming out of what I thought was the crankcase breather tube, which I thought was just excess oil, but I had just put in fresh synthetic and it didn't seem like the right consistency. There is a lot of spooge coming out of the pipe, but that might be normal (I'm pretty new around 2 strokes.) My oil was not milky when I changed it, so I don't see water getting into the tranny oil, but maybe into the combustion chamber? What's the best course of action? Pull the head? Cylinder? Both? Will I be able to tell if a gasket is bad? I'm sure that would affect how the engine idles, right? Will I need to do Piston and ring at the same time? Thanks for your help again.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM

I always start with the simple stuff before going through the chore of tearing it down.

The coolant level in the radiator needs to be just above the tubes with adequate expansion space or it will overflow coolant. Since you don't have coolant in the transmission that is a good sign.

Do you have oil in the coolant? Do you have visible evidence of leakage out of the cylinder/head? If not, then your gaskets are probably good.

The symptoms you describe sound like it is jetted too rich. Since you have not posted what neeedle you have, it is not possible to adequately diagnose your jetting setup. Getting the right slide, needle, pilot, main jet combo will make a huge difference in prerformance and how much spooge and gunk come out of the pipe and vent hose.

I would first start with getting it jetted right as it will likely solve many of your issues and it is much less work than a top end rebuild.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
I always start with the simple stuff before going through the chore of tearing it down.

The coolant level in the radiator needs to be just above the tubes with adequate expansion space or it will overflow coolant. Since you don't have coolant in the transmission that is a good sign.

Do you have oil in the coolant? Do you have visible evidence of leakage out of the cylinder/head? If not, then your gaskets are probably good.

The symptoms you describe sound like it is jetted too rich. Since you have not posted what neeedle you have, it is not possible to adequately diagnose your jetting setup. Getting the right slide, needle, pilot, main jet combo will make a huge difference in prerformance and how much spooge and gunk come out of the pipe and vent hose.

I would first start with getting it jetted right as it will likely solve many of your issues and it is much less work than a top end rebuild.
It would be hard to get the jetting right if there is a blown head gasket. He would be chasing his tail so to speak. I'd certainly suggest the need too resolve where the coolant loss is occuring first.

If there is loss of coolant, then its going somewhere. Spend more time to determine a correct diagnosis before changing jetting. Incorrect jetting shouldn't give off the rather distinctive sweet smell of coolant burning.

It sounds very possible to me, that one of the water jackets could be seeping coolant into the combustion chamber. It would make sense to me that a bike with a blown head gasket won't idle properly.

The mention of coolant in the oil, makes me think head gasket rather than base gasket.

If you do end up stripping it down I would be budgeting towards a new piston & rings while you're in there.

Cheers.

Further thoughts, a bike that is jetted too rich won't run as hot as a bike that is running too lean. This should exclude the jetting theory related to coolant loss for now.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 PM

Default gg300

Guys, good thoughts. So, how do I determine which needle I have? I pulled mine and didn't see any markings. Did I miss something? I am on the road until tuesday, so I will have to wait until then to do any more diagnostics on the bike. I first want to determine if the coolant is really leaving the system, and where it is going. I did not notice any kind of leak from the cylinder, so I"m not sure what's going on. I played a bunch with both the air screw and idle adjust, but didn't really notice much (any) difference in the rpms. It would not idle. Am I correct in assuming that idle adjust clockwise is richer and air screw clockwise is leaner? Thanks,
nate