Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 08-26-2023, 11:58 AM

Default From scratch

I have done some searching and reading guys and there is more info on here that I can?t wrap my mind around. First off, I have never setup a suspension in my life. I think I know what I have on the bike but need to fine tune it. I have a Ohlins rear spring and shock. 5.2kg spring, I am about 185-190 decked out for riding. My fork tubes are flush with triple clamps. I believe the forks are setup for a rider about my size but not sure.

I read the sticky about preload vs static sag vs race sag?.. I sort of understand, sort of. I guess I need to start with spring preload first. How do I check that? I?m assuming I unload the spring with the adjuster but while it?s on a stand, then adjust I think 14mm for the Ohlins 5.2 spring. Is this measured at the spring itself? And does this directly correlate to static sag? This ought to get me started anyway. I think the race sag is pretty straight foreward, but by adjusting all these at the same adjuster on the spring I feel like they all affect each other.

Correct preload would in turn also equal correct static sag. Race sag adjustment would also effect preload settings wouldnt it?

Last edited by Wbdisco; 08-26-2023 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Old 08-26-2023, 05:25 PM

Yes, the preload on the spring affects the measurements you'll get on the others. However, don't get caught up on that. Race sag is the important one you're shooting for.

I would start with 10mm of preload on the shock spring and then measure your race sag. Once dialed in, normally 105mm is a good starting place, check your static sag to know whether you have the correct spring installed or not. You should be able to go from 100-110mm of race sag and the static sag (spring rate) still be within range.

Lastly, I wouldn't run the fork tubes flush with triple clamp. I imagine you're getting some push in the corners no matter what you do with the clickers yet is very stable in a straight line/high speeds, yes? Normally setting is 5mm above the clamp and adjust from there. I'm currently at 8mm above and running 105mm race sag rear.

I know this is for Kawasakis but the same principles apply to our Gasser/Rieju bikes and is how I learned to do it correctly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Setting sag.jpg (131.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Setting sag 2.jpg (131.8 KB, 32 views)
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 08-26-2023, 05:46 PM

Am I right to assume that to adjust the 10mm of preload to start, that I put the bike on the stand and turn the adjuster until there is no load on the spring at all, then tighten the 10mm measuring from the actual spring and adjuster? Static and race sag measured at the axle to the fender.
Old 08-26-2023, 05:47 PM

To be honest I have been riding the bike like it is since I got it, so ignorance is bliss as to knowing whether it is handling bad or not. I don?t know any different, I will raise the tubes to 5mm to start and see if I can tell.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbdisco View Post
Am I right to assume that to adjust the 10mm of preload to start, that I put the bike on the stand and turn the adjuster until there is no load on the spring at all, then tighten the 10mm measuring from the actual spring and adjuster? Static and race sag measured at the axle to the fender.
Yes. On measuring it, it is absolutrely a must to measure to the exact same points every time. So, put a piece of tape up on the fender to mark where you're measuring for consistency.

Quote:
To be honest I have been riding the bike like it is since I got it, so ignorance is bliss as to knowing whether it is handling bad or not. I don?t know any different, I will raise the tubes to 5mm to start and see if I can tell.
So true. I was the same until I started diving in to it. Now I can't stand a bike not being dialed in!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 08-27-2023, 03:15 AM

Default 5mm

SS109 is correct. Make sure you set the forks at 5mm above the triple clamps at the beginning, otherwise she is going to push on you. I know this sounds like it couldn't be a big deal but it is with these bikes.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 08-28-2023, 06:24 AM

Went with 5mm on the tubes yesterday. Also, set the race sag at 107mm to start. I didn?t get a chance to ride it yet, but hopefully after work today I will see how it does. Thanks for y?all?s help. I appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:01 AM

Default No Worries

Quote:
Went with 5mm on the tubes yesterday. Also, set the race sag at 107mm to start. I didn?t get a chance to ride it yet, but hopefully after work today I will see how it does. Thanks for y?all?s help. I appreciate it.
Good deal,let us know how it goes.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar